Surveyor Recommendation - Wilmington, NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjm911

Vessel Name
Sea Glass
Vessel Make
DeFever 49 CPMY
I seek both a Hull Surveyor and an Engine/Propulsion Surveyor in the greater Wilmington, NC area. Ideally, he/she will be SAMS accredited and ABYC accredited. We are considering a Mainship 400.

Thanks!

Rob is excellent and would hopefully travel. SkiNC here on TF is a great engine man, or Rob could refer you if Ski is not available. What brand of engines?

Rob is excellent; not sure what the travel charges would be since Wilmington is two hours drive from New Bern. TF member Ski in NC is a super engine man in that area: erydzewski@aol.com
What kind of engines? If Ski can't help you I'm sure Rob could recommend someone.

Thanks, all. I reached to Bob, Rob and Ski in NC. I appreciate all of your help.

The Mainship 400 is equipped with a Yanmar 6LY3-UTP (380 hp).

PM sent. Should be able to help out.

Ski - PM sent to you, but the forum does not seem to let me include my contact info. This is in reference to an inspection in New Bern.

Ski - PM sent to you, but the forum does not seem to let me include my contact info. This is in reference to an inspection in New Bern.

Unfortunately Ski has not been active on the forum in quite a while which is too bad because he was a wealth of knowledge.

No, all you can do is send him a PM and see if he responds.

Just wondering if anybody here has ever looked into what is required to be a SAMS surveyor or their testing qualifications ? Do they have a stringent testing program ? Just curious as it appears being a SAMS member is important here

Rick

Just wondering if anybody here has ever looked into what is required to be a SAMS surveyor or their testing qualifications ? Do they have a stringent testing program ? Just curious as it appears being a SAMS member is important here

Rick

As someone who was just recently accepted into SAMS I can tell you that to become a Surveyor Associate they require that you are already a working surveyor with a minimum of experience, they look at your industry experience and qualifications, talk to other SAMS surveyors that you've worked with (and hopefully apprenticed under), training that you've done, they review your previous survey reports, recommendations required from other industry peers, and an interview.
To be an Accredited Marine Surveyor they require 5 years SAMS experience, annual continuing education proven, annual survey reports reviewed, and passing a written exam as well as attending regular meetings.

Back
Top Bottom