Old 10-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Niceville FL
Vessel Name: Happy Happy
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888 1989 gas
Over heating with a load on

I have a bayliner 3888 with US marine 351 ford engines. My port eng is heating up when I put any kind of load on it. At the dock it runs fine I checked to make sure it was pumping water out of the exhaust.

I have been having an issue keeping antifreeze in the heat exchanger. Could that be the issue?

I don't think it is the impeller because it pumps water at idle.

Has anyone had a heat exchanger repaired or replaced, if so can I get the name of the place.

Thanks Much!

Mike and the admiral Karen
Mike3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
You may have a blown head gasket. Check compression.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

would the oil show if a head gasket was blown?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
A significantly worn impeller will still likely move water at idle. But crank up the load and it might not have enough meat left on the fins to pump enough water. When's the last time you checked/changed it? That's a simple and relatively inexpensive starting point.

It's very likely if you had a blown head gasket that water would get into the oil. The oil on the dipstick would show up as a lighter shade than usual, with a milky appearance to it.

But if you've got a leak in the exhaust risers or heat exchangers those would allow coolant to escape. That typically shows up as a more white-ish amount of 'steam' to the exhaust. There might also be a more slippery feel to the exhaust ports, and possibly some sheen on the water.

When's the last time the heat exchanger and/or risers were serviced?

As for names/places... it helps if you update your profile to include a location.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...do=editprofile
Old 10-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
You would be surprised at how damaged an impeller can be and still pump water at idle. One guy recently reported an impeller which looked OK and kept the engine cool enough at low speeds. However, the brass center of the impeller had spun, much like outboard motor props can do such that when the engine was sped up, the engine overheated because the impeller blades were not working at rated capacity if they were even spinning at all. Since you are having issues with the coolant level, this MAY not actually be your problem, but impellers are relatively cheap to replace.

Borrow a tester from your local auto parts store to test for exhaust gases in your coolant.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I will third omme about impeller
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
My first thought would be the impeller as mentioned above. Secondly, failed head gasket does not necessarily put coolant in the oil.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #8

City: California, MD
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: 1985 Albin 43 Trunk Trawler
Had a similar issue with my starboard engine this weekend. Suggest you take a look at the belt tension for the fresh-water pump. Mine was quite loose and may have been the culprit. (Full disclosure, haven't tightened the belt or tested the 'fix' yet, so I may be wrong, but still, something to look at).
TomAnderson20619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

OK thanks to ALL! I will try to get down check the impeller and the belt. I am for sure thinking the heat exchanger needs some repair of some sort. I have run about 3 gals though it going out 3 times..
The boat is kept in Niceville FL.. I will update my profile...
Old 10-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
Guru

See if there is bubbling or evidence of exhaust gas in the coolant. A failed gasket does not have to mix coolant and oil but can blow out coolant.

Compression check before things get worse.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3888 View Post
OK thanks to ALL! I will try to get down check the impeller and the belt. I am for sure thinking the heat exchanger needs some repair of some sort. I have run about 3 gals though it going out 3 times..
The boat is kept in Niceville FL.. I will update my profile...
Is it going through that much during the course of going out? As in, it's at one point when you start and then dropped significantly by the time you're back? Or is it losing the coolant while you're away from the boat? Though, I suppose, both mean it's got issues that need to be addressed, but from a diagnostic perspective it matters some.

If you're not certain of the impeller's age and condition it's probably one of the simpler DIY repairs for most engines. Likewise belts. They're among the least expensive things you can replace on an engine, but if they fail can contribute to significant repair costs. You should generally keep a fresh spare on board, and rotate that through your replacements. I've tended to replace mine every other year. Keeps the spares fresh that way too.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I have loaded my tome about overheating problems below. Look through it.

Secondly , if there are other symptoms out of the ordinary then fill those in also. THere may be a very important clue you haven't told us such as the mention that you have lost substantial coolant several times.
Be clear.

One way to check for a blown head gasket is to use a 5 gal bucket filled with water. Use the overflow hose at the side of the filler neck and lead that hose into the bucket so the end is well below the surface. You may have to tie a weight to it to ensure it stays near the bottom.

How much coolant loss and when? How are you filling the heat exchanger? to the absolute brim of the filler neck?

Secure the bucket so it does not slide and dump.

Run the engine warming it fully. THis will be a run, not the dockside operation.
There will be bubbles as the engine warms and the coolant expands driving out any air. THose bubbles should subside fairly soon after full warmup. There may be a few now and again.

If there is a steady stream of bubble continuing after full warm up then the likelyhood of a gasket problem is high.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Heating up when running.doc (37.5 KB, 8 views)
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
My first thought would be the impeller as mentioned above. Secondly, failed head gasket does not necessarily put coolant in the oil.
But can put oil and exhaust gases in the coolant. The tester method is easiest.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
I have loaded my tome about overheating problems below. Look through it.
That's a pretty exhaustive list. Thanks for posting it.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #15
cks

City: Oradell
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: 2003 42’ Grand Banks Europa
Assuming your oil is not milky.
The most obvious choices first.
1) Replace the impeller. Cheapest and quickest solution.
2) Replace ( not boil out) your heat exchanger. I firmly believe, like engine mounts, these are throwaway items. They should be replaced periodically. (Every 10-15 years) Lenco, on Long Island, is a fantastic source for heat exchangers.
cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:15 AM   #16
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3888 View Post
I have a bayliner 3888 with US marine 351 ford engines. My port eng is heating up when I put any kind of load on it. At the dock it runs fine I checked to make sure it was pumping water out of the exhaust.

I have been having an issue keeping antifreeze in the heat exchanger. Could that be the issue?

I don't think it is the impeller because it pumps water at idle.

Has anyone had a heat exchanger repaired or replaced, if so can I get the name of the place.

Thanks Much!

Mike and the admiral Karen
The usual suspects are well covered. coolant is circulated through heat exchanger. Failing impeller, clogged exchanger, clogged intake.
351 Ford engine.
Sounds like gas engine with plugs and timing needs. If yes, Maybe it needs a tune up, could be running lean etc.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:02 AM   #17
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Any radiator shop should be able to test and repair a heat exchanger.Any engine running in salt water needs the scale and marine growth flushed on a regular basis.
Rydlyme and Barnacle Buster are common solutions for flushing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Inboard_descaling_instructions.pdf (1.40 MB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf RydlymeMarine_Recreational2.pdf (1.22 MB, 3 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
would the oil show if a head gasket was blown?
It may or may not.

A big gap in the gasket would allow coolant to drain into the cylinder then into the lube oil and also possibly hydro lock the engine. A small pressure sensitive gasket leak might only allow combustion gasses into the coolant passages under higher pressures until it fails completely. Then you will see water in the oil.

Compression checks are not hard to do and may save a lot of money or prove that the problem is raw water flow.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

To ALL thank you MUCH! I will try to do as many of the possibilities as I can. But problem is if you send me for a left handed screwdriver I would go looking..
Hoping it is something small but the list of possible causes maybe beyond my capability. Guess that is way there are boat repair shops in business.
Again cant say thank you enough I will update when we find the cause!
Mike and the Admiral Karen