Surveyor’s Tales the Naked Truth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garbler

Guru
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
N/A
I’d been working as a start up surveyor for about seven months and was used primarily for wooden hull inspections as that was my background. I got back to the office one day about three hours early as the boat I was to have surveyed was such a wreck the buyer backed out at my suggestion. When I walked in the office the secretary who spent her entire life around tuna boats and/or working in a cannery and knew the waterfront says to me Rick can you do Bill ( the owner ) a favor ? I figure sure I could use the points what is it. She tells me it is an old customer who lives on a converted wood halibut schooner and she has a leak or two and needs advice right now. You’ll like her cause she was a circus trapeze star for years and has a lot of good stories. Okay I’ll go right now call her and tell her I’m coming.

Well the boat was laying at an old Fellows & Stewart facility in Los Angeles Harbor and was easy to find as halibut boat conversions aren’t easy to hide? I tap on the deck a few times and the lady yells come on in. I can hear opera style music playing but I open the companionway and step down into the saloon. It’s pretty dark and I can just barely make out a number of cats scurrying around and the place smells like cats if you know what I mean. What is it with old ladies and herds of cats anyway ?

I could see her setting at the table but my eyes weren’t completely adjusted. So I gave her my name as usual then stepped up to the table to place my business card on it. That’s when my eyes got into focus and I noticed this old lady is completely bare ass naked ! Oh no what’s going on here, my feeble brain is racing, so do I run or play this out ? She must be in her 80’s with long white hair big bright red strange looking ear rings like a Gypsy might wear in the movies, and not a stitch of clothing on except her slipper type shoes which I noticed in detail as I was looking down almost all the time. She got up to shake my hand and I was hit with full frontal then she said something like does this bother you ? If I answered I have no idea what I said. It’s one thing to see something like this on TV or movies but in the dark confines of a boat well it certainly was beyond my social skills.

So I just said where is the leak I can’t stay long. Luckily it looked like a deck leak from a fitting and the water was running down behind the ceiling into the forward bilge. So I told her no she did not have to emergency dry dock the boat but I really must go now. Back at the office the owner was back and ask how it went but as I started to explain he and the secretary busted out laughing. What a set up. Later I ran into a reefer mechanic I knew and he was surprised I didn’t know about the ‘ naked trapeze lady ‘ ‘ everybody knows what the are going to run into if they get a call from her ‘. There is a lot to learn in this business, I’m thinking maybe I should go back to work with my tools

Rick

I’d been working as a start up surveyor for about seven months and was used primarily for wooden hull inspections as that was my background. I got back to the office one day about three hours early as the boat I was to have surveyed was such a wreck the buyer backed out at my suggestion. When I walked in the office the secretary who spent her entire life around tuna boats and/or working in a cannery and knew the waterfront says to me Rick can you do Bill ( the owner ) a favor ? I figure sure I could use the points what is it. She tells me it is an old customer who lives on a converted wood halibut schooner and she has a leak or two and needs advice right now. You’ll like her cause she was a circus trapeze star for years and has a lot of good stories. Okay I’ll go right now call her and tell her I’m coming.

Well the boat was laying at an old Fellows & Stewart facility in Los Angeles Harbor and was easy to find as halibut boat conversions aren’t easy to hide? I tap on the deck a few times and the lady yells come on in. I can hear opera style music playing but I open the companionway and step down into the saloon. It’s pretty dark and I can just barely make out a number of cats scurrying around and the place smells like cats if you know what I mean. What is it with old ladies and herds of cats anyway ?

I could see her setting at the table but my eyes weren’t completely adjusted. So I gave her my name as usual then stepped up to the table to place my business card on it. That’s when my eyes got into focus and I noticed this old lady is completely bare ass naked ! Oh no what’s going on here, my feeble brain is racing, so do I run or play this out ? She must be in her 80’s with long white hair big bright red strange looking ear rings like a Gypsy might wear in the movies, and not a stitch of clothing on except her slipper type shoes which I noticed in detail as I was looking down almost all the time. She got up to shake my hand and I was hit with full frontal then she said something like does this bother you ? If I answered I have no idea what I said. It’s one thing to see something like this on TV or movies but in the dark confines of a boat well it certainly was beyond my social skills.

So I just said where is the leak I can’t stay long. Luckily it looked like a deck leak from a fitting and the water was running down behind the ceiling into the forward bilge. So I told her no she did not have to emergency dry dock the boat but I really must go now. Back at the office the owner was back and ask how it went but as I started to explain he and the secretary busted out laughing. What a set up. Later I ran into a reefer mechanic I knew and he was surprised I didn’t know about the ‘ naked trapeze lady ‘ ‘ everybody knows what the are going to run into if they get a call from her ‘. There is a lot to learn in this business, I’m thinking maybe I should go back to work with my tools

Rick

Rick, you failed to mention your own age nor how many days you had been at sea. :D :rofl:

I’m 75 pushing 76 and never been to sea so long that she looked good

Did she ever contact you again? Perhaps with an offer to make you dinner?
By the way, I am pushing 80. So I get to tease you.

Greetings,
Mr. g. "...go back to work with my tools."

iu

Back
Top Bottom