Survey report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a survey done on a Selene 66. This is the preliminary report. Given its our first boat, is there anything that we should really be wary of?
Any help is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220323-180756_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220323-180756_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 165
Nothing too major on the list. Lots of grunt work on all the lights, but I replaced 22 lights on our boat when we bought it because we wanted LED. The exhaust leak should be addressed. I would typically do all this work myself and it would just be the cost of some new parts. If you are not a DIY person then get estimates from a yard and negotiate a price reduction. If they didn’t find any decks soft or other major structural things then I would say you found a nice boat that needs a bit of TLC. Good luck with the purchase.

Thanks. Haul out and sea trial is in 2 days so we still have some inspections to be done. We spent the extra $$ to have an engine expert look at the engine as well and that will happen Friday.
Hoping it all goes well �� Appreciate your help!

Is there a section that mentions engines and shafts and overall wiring, plumbing? Or maybe the surveyor is waiting for the sea trial for a close look.

If yes and it says all looks serviceable that would be better than nothing at all.

What bothers me is it sounds like a list by someone who walked through a boat stopping occasionally.... not seriously checking real important stuff. Figuring out flares, extinguishers and raft being out of date is important...but heck you don't have to be a surveyor to read a tag.

If that truly is just "fixes" and there is a thick report describing all the big important stuff then you are looking at one of the best used boat surveys I have ever seen.

Seems like someone left that boat unused for quite some time, nothing huge but would require a more thorough survey on major mechanical components. A/C pump not working and main engine exhaust elbow are the two the jump out, not major but $$ to correct.

Also, plan on replacing all batteries.

Quite the leap for your first boat, congratulations and hope she checks out ok for you!

Don’t know about where you are but here a 66’ boat as the first one you would have a very difficult time getting insurance, if at all. Have you checked into that?

Assuming this was a comprehensive survey I'd say the boat appears to be in good condition with only typical issues. The main things to address would be the blocked valves on the forward holding tank, the AC feed, and the leaking exhaust water. I'm assuming there are more comprehensive comments in the detailed report. You should also get mechanical survey, if you haven't already, by a qualified marine mechanic. This should be done during the sea trial.

I have a hard time understanding that document, unless that's just one page of a document. It's like a list of obviously things on a 15 minute walk through.

The only show stopper is no TV channels ;-)
Seriously as stated this seems to be a list of mostly interior convenience. Would need to get the details of all the expensive to repair or replace systems including stabilizers, engines,generator, shaft. Props. Engines. HvAC, freshwater, tanks,navigation/electronics, major appliances, rudder/steering... guess these will come with the trial/engine in a few days.

I echo the insurance questions, you should understand the requirements. If you plan on running it yourself I'm pretty sue you'll have to hire a skipper to get insurance and then have him train you to a point where he's willing to 'sign off' that you're capable. It shouldn't be a problem to find a skipper to help you.

Welcome Aboard!
I read the page as the Summary of a Report, though OP says it`s preliminary. The OP has a mechanical inspection/report scheduled. I`m sure he`s well across getting inspections done.For a prelim report, I`d say the Surveyor took a good thorough look
Nothing there sounds unfixable,some things that definitely need attention.

Insurance qualification is not as difficult in Australia, though with a 66ft boat there might be requirements I don`t encounter.

How many lights don't work before you change a bulb.
But if it is for real, a DIY buyer getting a good purchase price will end up with a great boat. That said, too many simple fixes left undone makes me wonder what major repairs are also ignored, like oil changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
That list is offensive. The surveyor didn't look at anything you hadn't seen yourself. No mention of thru hulls, engines, navigation equipment, deck integrity, hull integrity, stabilizers, running gear. Who would care so much about burned out bulbs that they would pay a surveyor to list them in a survey? Fire extinguishers with a current tag, listed as a deficiency? Oh, I see he has checked the expiry dates on the flares. Is there an electronic flare (eliminating the need for pyro flares)?
I hope you have a good relationship with this surveyor and can get him to remove all of his offensively trivial items and concentrate on the items he didn't look at, that you might actually need him to look at.
I hope you haven't a lot invested in this guy.

I took the list as that was all that was found. In which case the boat looks pretty good.

From another thread the boat is in France. What we are accustomed to in relation to Surveys in Australia and North America may not be what was requested and delivered.

Could there be something lost in translation? ie a specific terminology in French for a Survey as we know it?

How many lights don't work before you change a bulb.
But if it is for real, a DIY buyer getting a good purchase price will end up with a great boat. That said, too many simple fixes left undone makes me wonder what major repairs are also ignored, like oil changes.

My thoughts too.

Everyone is assuming the worst and that this survey is failed or flawed. The OP just asked what we thought of the list of items called out. Maybe the survey was a good one and this is all or part of the items called out. Until the OP tells us different that is all we have to go on.

Welcome Aboard!

Insurance qualification is not as difficult in Australia, though with a 66ft boat there might be requirements I don`t encounter.

Bruce, insurance renewals seem to be tightening up, Club Marine made me pull out the head linings in the boat and replace all the interior copper gas lines as they had joins in them(built that way). The new lines are rubber!

The broker said not too worry, the insurer, Club Marine are used to old Island Gypsy's. Old! Cheeky bugger.

'She is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seabird: weatherly, stiff and fast... very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.' Jno Aubrey

Last edited:
Is there a section that mentions engines and shafts and overall wiring, plumbing? Or maybe the surveyor is waiting for the sea trial for a close look.

If yes and it says all looks serviceable that would be better than nothing at all.

What bothers me is it sounds like a list by someone who walked through a boat stopping occasionally.... not seriously checking real important stuff. Figuring out flares, extinguishers and raft being out of date is important...but heck you don't have to be a surveyor to read a tag.

If that truly is just "fixes" and there is a thick report describing all the big important stuff then you are looking at one of the best used boat surveys I have ever seen.

This was just his preliminary report. We still have to go through the haul out and sea trial tomorrow, and we have engaged an engine expert to really go over the engine and generator. Once those things happen, we will get the full report.

This was just his preliminary report. We still have to go through the haul out and sea trial tomorrow, and we have engaged an engine expert to really go over the engine and generator. Once those things happen, we will get the full report.

Then so far so good...

It is just we (USA) usually don't get a prliminary report in my experience unless it is a paid for request to see if a more detailed report is even worth it that would include the expenses of a haul and sea trial.

That's why I was asking if other things were even listed as OK.

So....Good Luck!

Don’t know about where you are but here a 66’ boat as the first one you would have a very difficult time getting insurance, if at all. Have you checked into that?

Yes, we have received quotes from insurance companies that have been recommended to us. All looks good at this stage. We just need to submit the final survey and engine report

If at all possible, I would request that blocked thru hull, non- functioning ac pump, and exhaust cooling leak are corrected prior to sea trial. Assuming that a mechanic and parts are available, which is a big assumption, the owner will want these items rectified anyway and it will permit the boat to demonstrate proper operation.

The blocked thru hull is probably easy to address when the boat is hauled out for survey and depending on the extent of the exhaust cooling leak, it may not be a risk to the engine to sea trial without fixing this.

If you cannot get the water to the AC and operate it, I would have to assume the AC does not work and adjust my offer accordingly.

How did you find this “surveyor”? Report though preliminary, could have been done by the Carwash attendant.

Yes, we have received quotes from insurance companies that have been recommended to us. All looks good at this stage. We just need to submit the final survey and engine report

I don't recall ever being asked for my 'CV' during the quote phase. If I recall this occurs at the application phase. The premium would likely be the same with or without a captain. The clause would be in the policy itself. Just like the insurance company also hasn't given you a list of the things on the survey they want remedied before they write the paper.

Pau Hana and your insurance agent would be able to speak to this better.

To selene purchase

I'm the owner of a selene 53. Your surveyor as mentioned by kolivarr did not do his job nuicence items are just that every boat has a few lights out. How's the bottom paint thru hills oil filters and maint on fuel system. If you have the upgraded engine the cummins qsl9 a good service from a gen cummins mechanic is over 1000 labor how many hours on gen set on engine when was trans serviced what year is this? How old are the batteries all new house and start batteties will run8 to 9000 dollars. Ask the owner yo fix the list and take off a bit of money. Oh does the freezer in commissary work? They are built in and often fail. When we're stabilizers serviced its a every 2 year project by the book stern thruster check to see if any water intrusion in the lazerette will cause corrosion don't get me wrong they are good reliable strong boats they will do better than you atsea we are on a several year trip from San Diego currently are in bvi

Back
Top Bottom