Survey Findings Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think people find themselves a bit intimidated by surveyors and insurers sometimes. Now, the surveyor should note every deficiency they observe. There may be several ways to remedy those deficiencies as shown in this thread. As to the insurer, initial requirements may be one person, perhaps well informed and perhaps not, making a statement. However, every item is subject to further conversation and negotiation. Often it's helpful to have a good broker assisting in communications with the underwriters. There are items on which there is no compromise. Other times there may be an item that the ideal solution is $10,000 but there's a reasonable remedy that addresses the real issue for $400.

I don't believe the fact the insurer may compromise should change anything about the survey though. I do understand the argument "This is not how things were done when the boat was built". The opposite argument to that though is "That's why many won't insure boats build then." A far better discussion is "These requirements are recent and to fully comply with them would be cost prohibitive. However, I can accomplish the goal of safety by doing this. I would hope that would be satisfactory."

I would prefer surveyors noting those items they consider critical safety issues and those that are recommendations, perhaps even ideal solutions and alternatives.

It's common for negotiations to take place with insurers after surveys.

Amen to a good insurance broker

I am intimidated by the surveyor. He/she hold a lot of power. But a good conversation will ease that a bit. The surveyor works for me, but sometimes it seems to be for the insurance company instead.

I don't have a loan on my boat so I am not required to carry insurance. But I would be very foolish if I didn't.

So the game goes around and a round.

Nice post BandB.
I think people find themselves a bit intimidated by surveyors and insurers sometimes. Now, the surveyor should note every deficiency they observe. There may be several ways to remedy those deficiencies as shown in this thread. As to the insurer, initial requirements may be one person, perhaps well informed and perhaps not, making a statement. However, every item is subject to further conversation and negotiation. Often it's helpful to have a good broker assisting in communications with the underwriters. There are items on which there is no compromise. Other times there may be an item that the ideal solution is $10,000 but there's a reasonable remedy that addresses the real issue for $400.

I don't believe the fact the insurer may compromise should change anything about the survey though. I do understand the argument "This is not how things were done when the boat was built". The opposite argument to that though is "That's why many won't insure boats build then." A far better discussion is "These requirements are recent and to fully comply with them would be cost prohibitive. However, I can accomplish the goal of safety by doing this. I would hope that would be satisfactory."

I would prefer surveyors noting those items they consider critical safety issues and those that are recommendations, perhaps even ideal solutions and alternatives.

It's common for negotiations to take place with insurers after surveys.

Amen to a good insurance broker

I am intimidated by the surveyor. He/she hold a lot of power. But a good conversation will ease that a bit. The surveyor works for me, but sometimes it seems to be for the insurance company instead.

I don't have a loan on my boat so I am not required to carry insurance. But I would be very foolish if I didn't.

So the game goes around and a round.

Nice post BandB.

I was told long ago a story of Hurricane Gilbert and Jamaica. The company involved had zero wind damage to the building, just flood damage. Now, a year later the insurer gets an inspection and comes back with the requirement that the landlord, Jampro, an agency of the Jamaican Government, needs to replace the building with one up to 150 mph hurricane standards as it only met 140 mph. Clearly they weren't going to replace good buildings but it seemed to all logic that Jamaica had just been hit by the hardest hurricane in it's history and none of the Jampro buildings had damage in either free zone. Clearly they just didn't want to reinsure so the company switched insurers.

I only became aware as I was there after Wilma in 2005 and those same buildings still had no damage in spite of Wilma being a CAT 5. A civil engineer I spoke to said the insurers had failed to consider building height and the low height of these buildings greatly protected them.

Surveyor is engaged and paid by you but knows the purpose and his real liability risk is with the insurer.

I have fresh air, I'm glad you finally "got a brain"! You would NOT be covered with "my insurance" as I pointed out.

Sometimes, everyone else is not wrong! You didn't need to get personal, YOU hired the surveyor and posted!!!!!!

Why should he expect HIS property to be covered by YOUR insurance?!?:whistling:

When we bought our boat about 18 months ago the surveyor did not mention the need for a "breaker within 10' ". But he did ding the boat on the propane locker issue, even though the original 1988 install was working just fine. I now have a locker (DIY, but up to code) and remote cutoff/solenoid and propane sniffer in the galley. The locker requirement was a bit much, but the remote cutoff and sniffer are very good safety items not available in 1988, so I had no issue there. Looks like I will also be installing the same breaker as ASD now :thumb:

FoxtrotCharlie
I would be interested in hearing what you had and what was needed for the propane locker.

Attachments

• 20191105_145449.jpg
    20191105_145449.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
FoxtrotCharlie
I would be interested in hearing what you had and what was needed for the propane locker.

I'll be back at the boat next week (about two hrs away) and will take a few pics.

Back
Top Bottom