Surge Protector for Shore Power?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingthrob

Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
Does anyone use a surge protector on their shore power? I have heard a surge can blow your entire electric system. If so any recommendations? Is it recommended? I use 30 amp service and am a newbie.

I don't have one since I don't have a shore power setup so don't need.

I had an RV for 12 yrs. and thought about one of them for the trailer but never did it. Never had any trouble either. We had the typical doodads that a not bottom end trailer had, TVs, computers, microwave, satellite tv system, stereo, good charger/power supply and so on.

I knew people who did install one. Some folk were glad they did it and some folk figured it was a waste of money and time.

You will get all kinds of opinions fore and against.

If you think where you are or where you frequent is a problem and you have a bunch of stuff to protect then it may be worth it.

But I will say if you do go for it then get a good one which will cost a few hundred and do a good job of wiring it so it can do what you expect of it. Otherwise don't bother.

Its funny, I started a thread on the identical thing a month ago here, link at the bottom. I have had a power surge hit my house in North Vancouver BC and take out some stuff. When I built my new house on Vancouver Island I made sure a surge protector was part of the electrical installation.

I have a portable one I used with my Winnebago motorhome that is of decent quality but I keep forgetting to go to the RV to pick it up for boat use.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/portable-surge-protector-54391.html

The nice thing about the transformer is that it also keeps galvanic corrosion and electrocutions at bay.

For the amount of safety and protection it gives, an iso transformer is a no-brainer.

I have to agree with markbarendt. I installed two isolation transformers, one for each shore power line coming into my boat. I installed the 'Charles 3.6' Iso Transformer. They completely isolate the boat not only from power surges, but as well as galvanic corrosion. My dock neighbor, in fact our marina got hit by lightning at the end of the '19 season. Blew out the inground sprinkler system. My dock neighbor and others in the marina had their electronics fried because of the strike. I had no idea that it happened. Nothing on my boat affected.

A marine electrician, whom I've had other work done was discussing the strike with my dock mate and I mentioned the Isolation Transformers, he said it totally saved my boat from any damage.

They aren't cheap and require some heavy wire and a dual-pole breaker in line before the transformer, but I installed mine in less than a day. Only down side is that I have shore power inlets on both sides of the boat. Since while at my dock, I'm tied up Port side to, I installed on the Port side. If I tie up at a marina on the starboard side, I run my shore power cords to the port side inlets.

Iso transformers do a great job with common mode transients. But unless it’s a Ferro-resonant style, diff mode overvoltages and some amount of L to N spikes will pass thru. So, don’t forget to add a healthy TVSS across the line.

Take a look at RV accessories. Very common on RVs. I've had 2 motorhomes w built in units and it saved me at least once with low V conditions at a campground.
They do more than protect from surges and available as permanent inline install and portable

https://www.technorv.com/articles/d...HEtBxARMA1pO-c7lIBofYt7FllCeIE7BoCR4wQAvD_BwE

I see they are also available for marine w twist lock plugs

in the rv world, Progressive industries makes a box that's more than a surge protector. It monitors for all sorts of things, voltage variations, open grounds, etc.... I have their hardwired version installed in my RV. they have 30A and 50A versions
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c. Considered by many to be the best way to go in the RV world. I'd be surprised if some company doesn't have a marine version....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom