Old 09-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Superyacht: Licence to fill (with water...)

Crew of 5. Memo to superyacht owners: hire someone who knows how to drive. Ability to look out of windows desirable

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-aground.html
Old 09-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Well, it was the GPS's fault. Anyone knows if you are 49 feet from shore you are good to go.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

Old 09-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Oh , that will buff out.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Oh , that will buff out.
Hollywood
Oh see, you beat me to it, that was my first thought too.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Some places 49 feet from shore is plenty deep.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #7
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Some places 49 feet from shore is plenty deep.
Yeah. Not in the Greek Isles.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
In some report it was reported they had some issue, and the captain steered around a pack of boats at anchor to intentionally beach it. Nothing official I don't believe, so that guess is as good as any.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:07 PM   #9
Guru

City: West coast
Super yacht with a crew of 5?!
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:25 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Super yacht with a crew of 5?!
Not traveling with the serice/hospitality/housekeeping group?
Old 09-09-2022, 08:35 PM   #11

City: SC
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: 1981 Fairchild Scout
While you are at it check out these....

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yach...oin-the-market

also...all can be found here.

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yach...alties-of-2022

I imagine insurance rates for super yachts will be going up if there is such a thing. Llyods of London?

The motor yacht Belgor has been involved in a chase and capture by the Turkish Coast Guard due to suspicion that the vessel was involved in drug smuggling. Turkish media company Milliyet has reported that the Coast Guard chased the vessel, firing on it and ramming the yacht when those aboard attempted to make an escape.

"There has been a tragic number of yacht casualties so far this year; eight motor yachts caught fire, three sank, two were attacked, and a 50-metre sailing yacht was hit by a rescue vessel. SuperYacht Times has rounded up all the casualties (and near casualties) of 2022."

and this one you will want to see

"The motor yacht Belgor has been involved in a chase and capture by the Turkish Coast Guard due to suspicion that the vessel was involved in drug smuggling. Turkish media company Milliyet has reported that the Coast Guard chased the vessel, firing on it and ramming the yacht when those aboard attempted to make an escape."

This one was just nuts!! How does this happen?

Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA and San Carlos, Sonora MX
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
I am finding this trend pretty appalling.
I get it, stuff happens, but this is different. It is a pattern that seems to have changed with disgusting property loss and not insignificant risk to life and limb.
It is consuming some public resources both to rescue and to prevent environmental damage.
So, what gives? I have a bit of a theory born only of conjecture.
After the financial crisis, which was itself a product of financial engineering, the central banks response was to make money widely available at a very low cost. This enabled smart people to do more financial engineering, often without actually producing anything useful. Over the same time period there was also real technological progress which also created many (grotesquely) wealthy folks.
So, we spawned an unprecedented number of really wealthy people with this combination of circumstances during the ensuing 14 years and wealthy people buy very large boats.
The boat industry responded quickly by backing away from building boats like the members here drive and jumped quickly to building these very large and very complex vessels. One could surmise that not all of them made this rapid transition with the requisite expertise and experience.
Add to this that we did not grow the supply of highly qualified, highly experienced, serious humans that could captain and crew these large vessels.
It seems quite likely that we may have created some underqualified vessels being operated by underqualified crew.
One point of view could be, "easy come easy go, who cares? But I am hearing from a qualified professional captain friend that the insurers have had enough. No more policies and I am sure that affects us all to some degree as they attempt to recover some of these catastrophic losses.

Too bad. Sickening actually.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:09 AM   #13
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
How do these numbers compare to historic numbers? The story leaves you thinking that everyone got drunk and crashed their boats this year, but for all we know this is a perfectly normal year. But I guess that would be a boring story.....

Also, from reading other threads I thought that steel and AL boats were so much "stronger", but I'm seeing a lot of smashed and sunken steel and AL vessels here, so maybe it's not that much different than FRP when you really put it to the test?
Old 09-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
How do these numbers compare to historic numbers? The story leaves you thinking that everyone got drunk and crashed their boats this year, but for all we know this is a perfectly normal year. But I guess that would be a boring story.....

Also, from reading other threads I thought that steel and AL boats were so much "stronger", but I'm seeing a lot of smashed and sunken steel and AL vessels here, so maybe it's not that much different than FRP when you really put it to the test?
Material strengths vary so just how force is applied may be the determining factor.... as is abrasion resistance when wallowing on hard surfaces.

I have heard of GRP boats grinding away on coral reefs for days and days and not being holed, yet an iceberg can rip open a steel vessel in minutes.

Like usual.... it does depends.....a large part of it is overall structure/thickness and actual material/allow/resin/cloth.....

I still believe the old adage is a good skipper can be safe in a crappy boat but a bad skipper can sink a great one in the wink of an eye. So materials used only matter in some of the cases anyhow.

My take is there are certainly more "stories" that hit the news these days about sinking boats because there is soi much more "news" out there and most everyone has a video recorder in their pockets.
Old 09-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #15
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Would think these boats would be sufficiently compartmentized with fuel/water serving as a double bottom (as least in places) as to prevent sinking unles there’s major catastrophic damage. Wonder if in an effort to improve aesthetics and decrease expense watertight bulkheads and doors have grown out of favor in designs. One commonly sees a collision bulkhead, watertight at both ends of ER and that’s it. None in the interior.
Wonder what “gps “ means. Does it mean loss of the AP and loss of steering. This occurred to our little thing last week. My understanding is with NMEA 2000 and everything on the backbone failure of one thing can corrupt the function of other things. Our Precision 9 compass failed. This caused the AP pump to drive the rudder to port. Got a screen message “rudder angle >25 degrees. There’s no easy way to turn it off without turning off all electronics. This occurred just before entering our marinas channel which is very narrow. The approach is narrow as well and bordered on both sides by big rocks. We usually turn off the AP( that really means going to standby as there’s no power switch on the device. It’s on anytime the 2000 backbone has power). check the thrusters and reverse before entering the approach. That’s when the rudder went to port. We used the thrusters to line up with wind and current. We were fortunate to get a side tow on a Sunday from the yard. We needed both its big outboards and our thrusters to get into the slip. In retrospect should have just turned off everything connected to the NMEA background and gone in hand steering (assuming hand steering would have returned).
Totally surprised a ship this size didn’t have two totally independent and separate electronics suites. One fails shut power off to it and use the other. That way risk of gps/electronic compass, rudder angle indicator, AP computer or other component’s failure would not crippled steering. Have a A or B toggle at each helm.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:56 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA and San Carlos, Sonora MX
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

Google is your friend:

According to the definition (arbitrary) of superyacht by Superyacht Times, sales of super yachts in 2021 increased by 77% in 2021 from 2020 and represented a doubling from 2019.
In terms of losses, one fifth of all super yachts lost at sea from any cause ( fire, collision, grounding, etc) in history have occurred in the last five years.
Old 09-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
...snip....

Wonder what “gps “ means. Does it mean loss of the AP and loss of steering. This occurred to our little thing last week. My understanding is with NMEA 2000 and everything on the backbone failure of one thing can corrupt the function of other things. Our Precision 9 compass failed. This caused the AP pump to drive the rudder to port. Got a screen message “rudder angle >25 degrees. There’s no easy way to turn it off without turning off all electronics. This occurred just before entering our marinas channel which is very narrow. The approach is narrow as well and bordered on both sides by big rocks. We usually turn off the AP( that really means going to standby as there’s no power switch on the device. It’s on anytime the 2000 backbone has power). check the thrusters and reverse before entering the approach. That’s when the rudder went to port. We used the thrusters to line up with wind and current. We were fortunate to get a side tow on a Sunday from the yard. We needed both its big outboards and our thrusters to get into the slip. In retrospect should have just turned off everything connected to the NMEA background and gone in hand steering (assuming hand steering would have returned).
Totally surprised a ship this size didn’t have two totally independent and separate electronics suites. One fails shut power off to it and use the other. That way risk of gps/electronic compass, rudder angle indicator, AP computer or other component’s failure would not crippled steering. Have a A or B toggle at each helm.

That's a pretty scary anecdote. To my way of thinking, if you are unable to gain manual control of helm, throttle/gears within a few seconds then the system design & installation is a complete failure. I'm sure that now you have had an early warning you will get it sorted out. But why oh why was it built the way it was? Absolute stupidity!

Perhaps the same "design philosophy" prevailed for "007" and it wasn't Blofeld or the Russians after all although I am reluctant to doubt RTF's judgement
Old 09-10-2022, 04:40 PM   #18
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Wonder what “gps “ means.

I think it means "my dog ate my homework", or "due to Covid,....".
Old 09-10-2022, 04:44 PM   #19
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
All the gear and no idea???
Old 09-10-2022, 04:50 PM   #20
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Would think these boats would be sufficiently compartmentized with fuel/water serving as a double bottom (as least in places) as to prevent sinking unles there’s major catastrophic damage. Wonder if in an effort to improve aesthetics and decrease expense watertight bulkheads and doors have grown out of favor in designs. One commonly sees a collision bulkhead, watertight at both ends of ER and that’s it. None in the interior.
And this is why I refuse to have networked and integrated systems on my boat

Everything stand alone
Easily replaced without affecting other devices
Turned off and back to manual in a nanosecond

Be like Admiral Adama
Attached Images