Old 06-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow, WA
Vessel Name: Red Knot
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Sunlight Readable Laptop

I am looking for a laptop with navigation software to use on my flybridge. I have the usual canvas top with vinyl windows surrounding. The standard ones are not bright enough.

A Google search suggested that laptops with a "nits" (an industry measure of brightness) rating above 350 will suffice.

Has anyone had success with finding a laptop that works?

Thanks.

Harlen
Harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Panasonic Toughbook. You can find vendors that refurbish them.

The issue with most modern laptops is the screens are too reflective and get wiped out by glare. We had a 19" Acer monitor with matte screen rated at 300 nits that worked great up on the FB. My MacBook Pro was useless.
So look for something with an anti-reflective screen or something you can shield the screen with that cuts down glare. Search "anti-glare screen protector".

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You might make some kind of a shield around the screen like they used to have with the older radar units.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't want to use a Toughbook (too expensive and old tech in a refurbished unit) or a blocking screen (too limiting.)

I am looking for anyone who has successfully used a brighter output notebook that can be read on the flybridge.

I have seen high output screens advertised on the web so I want to confirm they will work in my situation.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I've used a laptop with a 300 nit matte screen with decent success. Works if it's bright out, but nowhere near bright enough to work if it's in direct sunlight. That needs more like 1000 nits.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Panasonic Toughbook. You can find vendors that refurbish them.

The issue with most modern laptops is the screens are too reflective and get wiped out by glare. We had a 19" Acer monitor with matte screen rated at 300 nits that worked great up on the FB. My MacBook Pro was useless.
So look for something with an anti-reflective screen or something you can shield the screen with that cuts down glare. Search "anti-glare screen protector".
So I decided to check out the Toughbooks and was pleasantly surprised to see that they have a semi-hardened one that looks more like a regular laptop, the Toughbook 53. I also found it refurbished with a 1 year warranty. Cost was $798 with the touchscreen upgrade. So I ordered it. And I can return it if I am not satisfied.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Polarized glasses may help also, to cut the reflections and glare.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:25 PM   #8

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
Our boat came with an older laptop running Costal explorer, that is our primary charting. It came with a fabric laptop shade that I put on when the sun comes out. It helps a ton. When I bought the boat I assumed I would replace all the older electronics, but after using them I decided that it all works great and will spend my money elsewhere.

Similar to this one

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...de_for_15.html
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:31 AM   #9
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
My old boat had a 1500nit display on the flybridge. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but it was fantastic. It was also a system circa 2007 that isn't made anymore.

On my new boat, I put in a 1200 nit display. It gets the job done well -- but I still wish I had the old one.

The displays in the 300-350nit range that call themselves "sunlight readable" work outdoors -- but only with a lot of shade. If you are looking to do regular work on a laptop, it is easy enough to work under the bimini and turn a toward the sun (so the display is away from the sun).

When navigating the vessel, unless there is enough structural shade, you'll need a visor. You won't have the luxury of moving the location of the laptop too far as it'll need to be at the helm. And, you can't get closer to it, because you'll need to watch traffic. And, you can't take time to pick things up that are camouflaged by low contrast, because you'll need to quickly scan it as well as traffic and the other instruments, etc.

The upshot is...get a brighter screen or have a plan to shield the screen from the sun.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote