Old 03-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I am a Costa disciple. I use glass lenses because of the scratch resistance. Here is a site that offers them and other quality glasses with very nice discounts

https://www.steepandcheap.com/?cmp_i...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #42
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
I wear Berkley polarized plastic glasses with magnifier readers. About $25. I replace them yearly. I keep the old ones for guests that forgot theirs.
Very important is to have "keeper" lanyard to prevent loss. Cablz are excellent IF you do a minor modification. On the end of the wire there is a small bead to prevent the wire from pulling out. The manufacturing process leaves a short stub that will eventually tear through the grip. Trim that off and it lasts for years.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #43
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Costa 580G's for me all day.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #44
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
I wear Berkley polarized plastic glasses with magnifier readers. About $25. I replace them yearly. I keep the old ones for guests that forgot theirs.
Very important is to have "keeper" lanyard to prevent loss. Cablz are excellent IF you do a minor modification. On the end of the wire there is a small bead to prevent the wire from pulling out. The manufacturing process leaves a short stub that will eventually tear through the grip. Trim that off and it lasts for years.
Another fisherman.....

I had a great paint of Berkley floaters ($19) till I helped a lady after a tow and they got knocked under the inboard outboard engine that neither of us could reach.

Other tows were calling so good thing my spare ($19) was available.....

Working in/out of bilges and around the water all the time...I would be unhappy if I lost good ones....yet I usually dont.

I compare the cheap plastic ones to the Ray Bans I wore for years the USCG offered and other high priced ones....don't see enough of a difference to spend up.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #45

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I am a Costa disciple. I use glass lenses because of the scratch resistance. Here is a site that offers them and other quality glasses with very nice discounts

https://www.steepandcheap.com/?cmp_i...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Some very deep discounts... Too bad they don't offer some of Costa Del Mar's more popular models like their top selling Fathom's.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
The inventory regularly changes. Check back every week or so. I found Hammerhead, Blackfin and one more DaWife has whose name I do not remember ( the glasses) all of which are very nice.

She just came home...Brine is the name. Better for a smaller person. I ordered for myself thinking I lost Blackfin. Found BF and she commandeered Brine. They are inseparable.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #47

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
One that no one has mentioned, and this is more for the unique approach to the built-in lanyard; magnetic Clic glasses, which they make both sunnys as well as readers and other options.
I have the readers so far and they're so easy to clic and un-clic in a fraction of a second when you need to take them off. when you un-do them you can simply let them hang on your shoulders... or you can reconnect them to hang around your neck until you need them on again. this is much quicker than having to pull them up and over your head.
Name:  clics.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  9.8 KB

Plus, they're not too expensive....
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #48

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow View Post
One that no one has mentioned, and this is more for the unique approach to the built-in lanyard; magnetic Clic glasses, which they make both sunnys as well as readers and other options.
I have the readers so far and they're so easy to clic and un-clic in a fraction of a second when you need to take them off. when you un-do them you can simply let them hang on your shoulders... or you can reconnect them to hang around your neck until you need them on again. this is much quicker than having to pull them up and over your head.
Attachment 63243

Plus, they're not too expensive....
Knowing me I would drop them next to the compass and end up in Kansas.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #49
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Another fisherman.....

I had a great paint of Berkley floaters ($19) till I helped a lady after a tow and they got knocked under the inboard outboard engine that neither of us could reach.

Other tows were calling so good thing my spare ($19) was available.....

Working in/out of bilges and around the water all the time...I would be unhappy if I lost good ones....yet I usually dont.

I compare the cheap plastic ones to the Ray Bans I wore for years the USCG offered and other high priced ones....don't see enough of a difference to spend up.
Had a beautiful pair of Costas I won in the JCAA fluke tourny. Since they were not bifocal, they were worthless to me. Gave them away. Cant say how many times my glasses have been torn off my face while fishing only to see them sink away in slow motion. As long as I wash the Berkley lenses with soapy water, they are pretty much scratch free for a year or until lost overboard.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #50
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
As long as I wash the Berkley lenses with soapy water, they are pretty much scratch free for a year or until lost overboard.

This is a key point. Rinse off the lenses with water, follow up with some soap (most anything will work just fine, dish soap is excellent) then dry with a soft towel.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #51
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Either the soap or sweat seems to start disolving the tint around the edges....

Usually by the time it gets bad enough, there are enough scratches and bottom paint on them time for another $19 pair.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #52
Guru

City: Trenton
New Wayfarers P
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Knowing me I would drop them next to the compass and end up in Kansas.
Acheron had a good point and ironically I was on a boat this week with a nice fairly new Ritchie compass right behind the helm steering and I decided to test this theory. I had a pair of these magnetic Clic reading glasses around my neck, I dangled them close to the compass and sure enough if they got within a few inches they did indeed move the needle off course.
Granted if you keep them around your neck you might not ever get them this close but as somewhat of a purist, I guess I'll have to retract my recommendation for this Clic brand of glasses, at least for use at the helm
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #54
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Prescriptions?...Zenni optical is quite inexpensive with excellent quality (consumers report best buy)...<$100 for progressive lenses with good quality frames, many choices, Photochromic lenses etc.
Just bought a second pair from them with stainless Aviator frames and photochromic lenses as I'm in and out with my new dock attendant job...$105 shipped

Non? Try Readers.com for a good selection of sport frames with bifocal segments. <$25
Old 08-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #55

Came very close to getting some Costas... but then came across a new option that seem crystal clear and super comfortable; Reflekt Unsinkable.
They have an amber lens option that seems perfect up in the PNW, and several other styles plus of course they float and have a good warranty.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #56

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
Bifocal Shades

I've tried many brands of shades with bifocals. At one time, Readers.com had a style that I loved, but they were very cheaply made and only lasted 3-4 months before the frame would break - always in the same spot. So I ordered 6 pairs at a time, but when they quit selling that style, I had to come up with a new plan.

I stumbled across these Stick-on magnifiers that will fasten to any pair of shades:
Stick On Magnifier great for sunglasses welding mask swim goggles sewing fly tie | eBay

These little magnifying lenses are easy and simple to apply, and so far they have held up perfectly, after over a year. I've got them on my Bolle polarized shades and on my non-polarized cheapos. They work great on both, and I just ordered some more of these because I am anticipating a pair of Jackie-Ohh Wayfarers for our upcoming 30th anniversary.

In addition, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but for some reason I can only wear green-tinted sunglass lenses. Every other color distorts my vision.
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #57
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Bought a pair of sunglasses at Dunkirk at the beachfront, but they didn't last the day. What did I expect for one euro?
Old 08-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #58
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I can afford a good set, but my scratched-up cheapo sunnys are the only thing preserving the illusion that I don't need a paint job!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #59
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Larry

That is perfect. LOL. As I age and my vision goes everything looks better even Watfa!
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #60
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Bought a pair of sunglasses at Dunkirk at the beachfront, but they didn't last the day. What did I expect for one euro?
My former neighbor, the economist Alonzo Knapp, offered Knapp's First Law: "In the unlikely event that you find a pair of sunglasses you like, someone will soon step on them."

AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote