Sundeck in PNW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mgtdguy wrote:
... and wondered if the lack of a cockpit on those in the 35'-38' range pose any particular problems with docking.
The right answer is.... it depends. It depends on where you plan to go and how you plan to use your boat.* As you probably know the majority of docks in the PNW use bullrails instead of cleats.* Unless there are people on the dock to help you--- and it's been our experience and observation that people on the dock are generally more a hazard than a help when it comes to docking-- you need to get a line around the bullrail when you arrive at the dock.* This is not easily done from the boat.

In my opinion, while a sundeck-stype boat (Grand Banks calls them "Motoryachts') does provide a lot of interior and exterior user room, you want one that also offers good and quick dock access.* A side door in the bulwarks forward of the full-width aft cabin or a transom door (or ladder) that lets you get quickly from the swimstep to the dock are features I would want in a sundeck boat for this area.

There are products that supposedly let you snag a bullrail with a hook-on-a-rope arrangement but the few times I've seen these used they didn't work as advertised and on a couple of occasions the hook flipped off the bullrail and came back to seriously ding the gelcoat on the boat.* So in my opinon, the best way to deal with a bullrail is to have the ability to step off the boat and get a line around it.* Low freeboard (as on a GB), a side door in a bulwark, or off the end of the swimstep seem to be the fastest and most reliable methods.*

Personally, I prefer a low freeboard and a walkaround deck for dealing with the docks up here so would not consider a sundeck/Motoryacht were we in the market for another boat in this area.* However there are plenty of boaters in this area who like sundeck-style boats and who have learned to handle them competently at a bullrail dock.*

The two photos are a typical docks in the Gulf Islands and having a wide(ish) walkaround deck and low freeboard aft makes a big difference, in my opinon, to the ease of getting our boat secure alongside when we arrive, particularly since wind or current or both may not allow much time to get this done.

Attachments

• la perouse port browning.jpg
    la perouse port browning.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 70
  • sidney.jpg
    sidney.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 66
Robin wrote:
Some of us have found a compromise in a CPMY! OK so it's 47ft though.
*Best of both worlds!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom