Old 04-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Rockport, Ontario
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
Sundeck furniture

Can anyone recommend deck furniture that will work on my Oceania 35 sundeck (about 8X8 ft.). Will the joints of regular patio furniture stand up to the rocking of the boat? (even with someone in it at anchor?) ideally we would like wicker recliners at Costco, but will they work? Suggestions? Need at least two recliners and a small table.
Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We where on freshwater but had our greatest success with patio furniture. Long enough lasting and compared to "boat" chairs cheap enough to replace at shorter intervals if needed. Was just looking at the same wicker furniture at Costco yesterday for home use and it should last well on your boat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

City: Seattle, WA.
We recently got a table and two chairs from Costco that are made of eucalyptus. Working great for us so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460834216.790902.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	50815
goboatnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Yep just decent quality deck furniture. My last set lasted 10 years. But that was up North.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We had a wicker patio set on the aft deck of our Hatteras that got very heavy use' it was our favorite room on the boat and also the "formal" dining room. We entertained a lot, and the stuff got moved around frequently to access the swim platform (since we were anchored out or on a mooring a good deal of the time). Quality will out in this environment and be cheaper in the long run.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm thinking that the material making the frame is important. If it's aluminum then it might be welded and strong, but if wicker over wood it maybe pretty fragile yes?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Great topic. My wife is determined to get a couple of chairs and a small table to use both in the aft cockpit and flybridge. I want them to be folding so they can be put out of the way easily.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Great topic. My wife is determined to get a couple of chairs and a small table to use both in the aft cockpit and flybridge. I want them to be folding so they can be put out of the way easily.
We have 4 of this kind of chair, as they fold way down to next to nothing, have a colour matching stow-cover, and slip into lockers very easily. For a table we use a camp table with folding legs that we tie on its side to the inside of transom when not in use. It works well, and they are all 14 yrs old, and still look new.

Camping Chair Blue - DINGA

And this...
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/sport...ide-table.html
Old 04-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #9

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
We got a patio set from Wally. Aluminum swivel rockers, aluminum glass topped round table. That is also OUR favorite room on the boat, and they've lasted a year with no problems. During heavy winds, we remove the cushions and the glass table top and stow them inside so they don't go AWOL, but other than that, no problems at all. Unfortunately, in looking thru my albums, I have no pics showing them.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceania View Post
Thanks guys for the comments. I'm thinking that the material making the frame is important. If it's aluminum then it might be welded and strong, but if wicker over wood it maybe pretty fragile yes?
Depends on how well it's made. I do think aluminum is a better choice, for weight considerations, though our stuff was still pretty heavy and didn't move around. In part because the front feet were on carpet.
Make sure to have some skid resistant material on the feet regardless.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #11

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Lady A
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Marine Grade Polymer Furniture

For me this was a slow pitch right over the plate. As has been mentioned, you can buy quality outdoor furniture and get years of excellent use from it. Or, buy cheaper Chinese stuff and replace as necessary. Both good choices with merit.

If you buy quality aluminum patio furniture, get frame colors that are neutral, as you can replace cushions or slings over time and effectively have a whole new " look".
If you want quality, made in USA , no maintenance furniture for your boat, check out Telescope Casual Furniture Mfg., they are located in upstate NY.
They make a line of marine grade polymer (think starboard) outdoor furniture with s/s fasteners.
Cushion or sling, great product. It was our choice for sundeck furniture. We love it. Its not cheap, but it sure is comfortable and durable.

Disclaimer: I've been in the Fireplace/Firepit/ Patio furniture/ BBQ/ outdoor heater business for 35+ years. Telescope is a vendor of mine, as I am a dealer of theirs. I have no financial connection to them other than paying my bills for product.

Bill
Tuttouomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Lady A
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Pics

I was able to locate a few pics. I know how everyone loves pics. The single chair is a swivel rocker, the loveseat has each seat mounted on an indepent spring base.Click image for larger version

Name:	722.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	50847

Click image for larger version

Name:	723.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	50848
We also have a table top Fire Feature that runs off our propane tank, takes the chill out of the air.
Bill
Tuttouomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #13

City: Gainesville, FL
I second the high-quality wicker option. This furniture has been on the aft deck of our Californian for many years. We LIVE out there and find it to be very comfortable and durable. Real wicker and British-made, Lloyd Loom. Pricey, but the PO bought it!

ERIC
Attached Thumbnails
Aft Deck (9).jpg   Aft Deck (12).jpg  
Old 04-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
My Wayfair furniture. Ebay. All plastic with storage
Attached Thumbnails
sundeck.jpg  
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sundeck Furniture

Isn't it amazing that such an important aspect of your comfort hasn't been nailed down better than this?
Old 04-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #16

City: Gainesville, FL
Not sure what you mean, but we have it "nailed down" perfectly. LOVE our aft deck furniture!
kraftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Kraftee: I meant in general it seems that there has been no great effort made by business to address this opportunity. I guess each boat situation is different and boaters have to find our own solutions. I agree that you and others solved yours very nicely.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Like boats, everyone has their own tastes and priorities.

I like all folding stuff on my bridge so I have a large workspace if need be.

Cheap and ugly, but for comfort for some, air chairs are preferred....and they fold to nothing.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: Los Angeles
it is difficult to recommend something to someone, since everyone has different tastes and preferences!
millersues is offline   Reply With Quote