sunbrella mildew stains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 30 years of using Sunbrella for bimini's and dodgers, I switched to Stamoid. Mildew and bird poop just wipe off. The stains can't get down into the weave.

After 5 years wintering in the Bahamas the Stamoid is looking much better than the Sunbrella cockpit cushions done at the same time.

The weather has allowed me one day to work outside. I laid the canvas out flat on a plastic tarp and washed it with a mixture of 3 gal. water / 2 cups bleach / 1/2 cup mild laundry soap. After the wash, I folded it up and kept it soaking for 1 hour before the rinse. It came out spotless, all mildew stains gone. I have never used bleach before out of fear, but it has never been so clean. Manufacturers instruction have never worked an high priced cleaners have never done such a good job.

The weather has allowed me one day to work outside. I laid the canvas out flat on a plastic tarp and washed it with a mixture of 3 gal. water / 2 cups bleach / 1/2 cup mild laundry soap. After the wash, I folded it up and kept it soaking for 1 hour before the rinse. It came out spotless, all mildew stains gone. I have never used bleach before out of fear, but it has never been so clean. Manufacturers instruction have never worked an high priced cleaners have never done such a good job.

So I take it you don't have Sunbrella?

https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-to-clean/clean-sunbrella-marine-canvas

A while back someone told me hydrogen peroxide will clean mildew stains on canvas. I picked up a gallon jug of 3% on e-bay for $16.00 with free delivery. Next time I can get to the boat and it's not raining I'll spray the after deck awning and see what happens. I'll post the results before and after.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom