Old 06-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #1

City: Panama City Beach
Carver Yachts

I have a friend looking at a Carver 455. It has Volvo engines with around 600 hours. He plans on cruising the ICW and Florida coast. Maybe the loop in the next couple years.
I don't know anything about the Carver other than what I've read online.
Anyone here have any first hand knowledge on this line of boats?
He did want something that would cruise around 15kts is the reason for this type of hull.

Thanks
fishpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
A Carver 455 is one of those "lot of boat for the money" type boats. Lots of space, fast cruise, does most things well in protected waters.
The maintenance history of the Volvo's would be worth looking at closely.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Personally I like the style of the Carvers. Tons of natural light from large windows. If I didn't buy a trawler, I probably would have wound up looking at one of these. My only problem is I like to cruise the ocean and needed something a bit heavier. I'm not a fan of a Volvo engine. I guess in time I would learn it, but I agree AusCan. Look at the maintenance record and have a survey done.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #4

I don't know much about the Volvo. I have Cummins and love them.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #5

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
, does most things well in protected waters
exactly....protected waters!
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
There are Carver models I like and would own, Voyager for one, but others I wouldn't own on a bet. I also would not buy a boat that had Volvo diesels. I've heard/read too many bad things about the Volvos to make me want to buy one.

Now before you Volvo diesel owners start ranting about how wrong I am, please don't shoot the messenger. I've never owned a Volvo diesel powered boat so have no first hand experience.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #7

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
I own a Volvo. No problem. If it has a Volvo you can negotiate a lower price-maybe.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Don't dwell on brands! Dwell on maintenance!

A well-maintained Carver could, arguably, be better than a poorly well-maintained (insert band x here). Same with the motors. Face it, you are doing the loop and you will rarely be out of sight of land, out of range of the internet, or more than a short drive to a marine store. Find a boat you like and make sure it has been kept up. Period.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
What Tom said above!

I'll add something...

Those that think that a Carver, or a Searay, or a Bayliner, or a Navigator, or (name your production boat brand here) are only suitable for protected waters are 100% WRONG!!!!

In my harbor at Seward Alaska we have a mix of pleasure boats...A georgous Carver, more than one great Navigator, A Searay or three, and several, no make that many Bayliners.

Our harbor is less than 20 miles from as unprotected waters as you can get on this planet. If the earth was not round you could see Hawaii, Japan, Australia, and even Antarctica I think from the mouth of our little bay.

Yet all of these boats operate in these "unprotected waters" at will. They do so comfortably, and safely, every day.

So lets get off the "Carvers in only protected waters" soap box, because those of us that actually take our boats out in the open ocean every time we leave the dock might have a slightly different opinion.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:16 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders;
I'll add something...
Well said, Kevin.
The good folks of Sointula and other west coast settlements got there in row boats.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #11
Guru

City: gulf coast
I owned a Carver 440 ACMY that I think is similar to the 455. Check the hull design to be sure but that was one heck of a boat. Solid as a rock, easy to maneuver roomy and performed well at 18-20 kts or 9 kts in trawler mode. decent engine acess even with the big Cummns Cs . At 38000# it needs decent power to run at plane and 15 kts would have been a bit too slow for real planing on my boat.

I too call BS on the protected waters comment. However after decades of coastal cruising I dont go looking for trouble. Not all years and models of the same brand are equal. That goes for Hatteras, Carver, Bayliner, Viking et al.

Would buy another in a heartbeat.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Today's Carvers and build process little resemble those of a decade or more ago. As noted by Bayview, the year and model are very different within the Carver brand itself. The Marquis line adds another wrinkle.

And then how does one choose to use the vessel yada yada? I can tell you the older 55- 60s are with very poor sight lines from the lower helm. But steering from down below is not this size range's primary mission.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
Guru

As a VOLVO owner for over seventeen years: "Run from them as you would the plague." VOLVO has the worst customer service in the industry. As for Carver, or any other boat, I would want to know if the hull is cored below the waterline.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #14
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
IMHO the "That brand boat won't do well in open waters" kinds of comments come from guys who are (a) afraid to be in open waters in ANY kind of boat short of an ocean liner; or (b) own one of the brands designed more for ocean crossing.

Growing up on Lake Huron we thought it was great sport to be out on 4' and 5' waves with a 16' Thompson boat with a 50hp Johnson. Today it seems there are a lot of people with "big" boats who would be afraid to take their "big" boat out in those waves.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #15
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
As a VOLVO owner for over seventeen years: "Run from them as you would the plague." VOLVO has the worst customer service in the industry. As for Carver, or any other boat, I would want to know if the hull is cored below the waterline.
I would agree, but I only owned Volvo gas engines. There CS stinks and I'd never own one again, but the diesels seem pretty good overall.

As for the Carver, it's probably in the same class as the Searay, Silverton, Bayliner and Meridian. All fine boats, but you can spend more and get better quality... we all know that. I wouldn't mind owning any of them and got real serious over a Carver and a Meridain once.

And, yes, good maintenance is probably more of a deciding factor than the make of boat.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #16
Guru

City: Sidney
Carver has been around in one iteration or another for 60 some odd years and have had some excellent builds but, like most, yes even OA, NH, Selene, Bla and Bla, there have been periods of lesser QC.

A good surveyor is key.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
IMHO the "That brand boat won't do well in open waters" kinds of comments come from guys who are (a) afraid to be in open waters in ANY kind of boat short of an ocean liner; or (b) own one of the brands designed more for ocean crossing.

Growing up on Lake Huron we thought it was great sport to be out on 4' and 5' waves with a 16' Thompson boat with a 50hp Johnson. Today it seems there are a lot of people with "big" boats who would be afraid to take their "big" boat out in those waves.
I have to agree. There is Coastal Cruising and there is Passage Making. Unless we're talking about Kady Krogen, Selene, Nordhavn, etc, then we're talking about Coastal Cruisers.

As a coastal cruiser, a Carver will handle more than the crew will. But then again, we used to go out in a 28 ft express in 8+ ft seas when far more suitable boats stayed tied to the dock. Many of those trips were made with friends who own Carver aft cabins (36 & 370). No Problems.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #18

I met someone last week in the keys that takes his 41' carver to the Bahamas all the time. He said pick your days and go. Never had a problem. He also had Cummins in his boat.
My friend who is looking at these carvers said thanks for all of the replays. He now is looking at carvers with Cummins power.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I have to agree. There is Coastal Cruising and there is Passage Making. Unless we're talking about Kady Krogen, Selene, Nordhavn, etc, then we're talking about Coastal Cruisers.

As a coastal cruiser, a Carver will handle more than the crew will. .
No truer statement was ever made!

The key here is to pick a boat that will do what you want it to do, at a price that doesn't keep you working so late in life that you don't have the time to enjoy it.

I would rather be out cruising in my Bayliner, than working through my 60's to pay for my Nordhavn.

Because for most of us, that is the real choice.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #20

The more I look at the voyagers with the Cummins the more I like them. And I'm not in the market right now.