Old 08-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Boca Raton
Vessel Name: Kokomo
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC 48
Summer in Grenada or Trinidad

Greetings:

We are planning to cruise to Grenada starting 12/18. We plan on spending the summer there to hide during the hurricane season.

Would love to hear about the climate, security, cost of living, etc.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Best,

Jim
MV Kokomo
Hatteras 48 LRC
jfelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
We spent last season in Grenada. I loved it. People very friendly. Very safe, there is always a bad apple, but generally they look very favorably upon the cruisers. Several of the events will have a mix of cruisers and locals which was nice vs. the usual just cruisers. There are alot of long long long term live aboards as well, I’ll let you make up your mind if thats good or bad. Cost of living was affordable compared to lots of the Eastern Caribbean. Bus system was good, grocery availability was good. Look into hashing, tons of fun.

Disclaimer: We did not go to Trinidad.

Check out Caroline’s blog (in signature) she has a couple of post for Grenada. Contact me if you need specifics

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #3

City: Miami
Vessel Name: Odyssea
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I was thinking of doing the same thing in my Mainship 390. I was told by a "very experienced"? captain that I should just stick to the Bahamas because the seas are so rough (high waves) around the Caribbean. I mentioned I was in no rush but he said that wouldn't matter. I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
Paul Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Guru

Paul,

Once on the Eastern side the waves are pretty much always on the beam. Sizeable waves. If you had to wait for a window between each island, I think you would run out of time as far as insurance requirements/geographic restrictions, usual timeline, etc.

I wouldn’t want to do it in anything w/o sails or stabilizers. Not saying you couldn’t, but I know my wife would have left long ago! With your hull, the only hope would be to get on top and hope that would provide enough stability if you had the power for it, but the waves were confused alot, so still may be very uncomfortable.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 08-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Boca Raton
Vessel Name: Kokomo
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC 48
Sealife:

Thanks for the response. I'm sure I will have more questions but will read Caroline's blog first.

Paul:

The trades in that part of the world are ESE - ENE so it makes sense that the biggest seas will be on the Eastern side of any of the Caribbean islands.

Before you make a decision, I would recommend that you pick up Bruce Van Sants book "A Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward." It's only a book but apparently this guy sailed these waters for decades in small boats - sail and power - and writes about his trips and includes huge detail on weather, and ports, and includes charts and routes. I'm half way into it and will reread it once I finish. Good luck.

Jim
jfelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Guru

Van Saants book only gets you to Puerto Rico/ VI. The part where you are most likely going straight into it, hence all the strategies. Not much help after that. But still a good read.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 08-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
We cruised the Lesser Antilles between Trinidad and Antigua for 18 months in the mid-90's, thoroughly enjoyed the time spent and don't recall any significant issues. This was on a 40' ketch and, other than crossing from Barbados to St. Vincent and a few fishing trips, exclusively on the lee side of the islands. The passages between islands are relatively short and manageable. Grenada-Trinidad is an overnight passage at sailboat speed.

Spent two hurricane seasons, mostly in Grenada (Prickly Bay), Tobago and Trinidad (Chaguaramas). Included two annual haul outs in Trinidad (good facilities at the time) and a complete Carnival season (highly recommended). Always at anchor so cannot comment on marinas. No opinion on passage from the north as we came in from the Canary's and left for Venezuela/points west.
DCDC is offline   Reply With Quote