Summer Almost Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well few more weeks of summer. The sun is going down sooner. Would be long and the sun will serve due West.View attachment 131476 898.jpg

That is a gorgeous photo!

But...Summer does not need to end.

Mexico is waiting for you!

Ah, Kevin……..
That Zoomie will suffer through a 1000 year winter in the PNW before even considering a voyage south. Tom and Kay are good people, and we enjoy there company. Maybe a little more to the Kay side cuz that woman knows how to catch fish. We love them, but they are “Northerner’s”.
Hope your enjoying the “Pacifico’s”, we had a ton of fun in Ensenada!

Seeing summer end here (Lake Erie) as well. Up on Lake Superior a month ago it was light at 5AM till 10PM. Now it's 6AM till 9PM and steadily getting shorter. Been heading South for almost 3 weeks already.

Ted

We're looking at about 2 months before winter haulout here in the frozen north. We're looking at poking our noses into the canals for a few days the week after Labor Day. Other than that, the system is slowly winding down even though it feels like we never really hit our full pace this year.

Ah, Kevin……..
That Zoomie will suffer through a 1000 year winter in the PNW before even considering a voyage south. Tom and Kay are good people, and we enjoy there company. Maybe a little more to the Kay side cuz that woman knows how to catch fish. We love them, but they are “Northerner’s”.
Hope your enjoying the “Pacifico’s”, we had a ton of fun in Ensenada!

My son is starting to harvest his garden in Alaska.
He is looking at his first frost in the next two to three weeks.

I'm trying to decide between the brown and the black flip flops to go with my tee shirt and corto pantalonies, and examining different Margarita Recipes in depth. :blush:

Me encanta vita en Mexico!

We just turned off the heat in the boat about a week ago. Now we are in Nanaimo and dying of the heat as it rises into the high 70s. It's all relative.

My older brother was sort of a biker guy in his youth. I remember when he moved from So Cal after the Marines to Minneapolis. By his calculus, summer was about 5-weeks long. He'd spend all winter waiting for Memorial Day. By the time July 4th rolled along (5-weeks), depression would set in that summer was already half gone.

I don't understand the allure of cold climates. There is nothing about the human lifeform that is equipped for cold weather - a patch or two of hair is hardly protection.

Since the post-WW2 era, there have been ubiquitous TVs in households, with majority of programming filmed in temperate climates such as Hollywood. We all know what we are missing. Why people chose to remain in places where cars have snow scrapers is unfathomable to me.

Peter

I don't understand the allure of cold climates. There is nothing about the human lifeform that is equipped for cold weather - a patch or two of hair is hardly protection.

Since the post-WW2 era, there have been ubiquitous TVs in households, with majority of programming filmed in temperate climates such as Hollywood. We all know what we are missing. Why people chose to remain in places where cars have snow scrapers is unfathomable to me.

At least in my area, I think it's a combination of a few things: the summers are hot, but not unbearable like some hotter climates. As much as the winter weather sucks, we don't get a lot of truly dangerous weather (as opposed to just unpleasant) nor do we have a lot of dangerous animals or bugs compared to some warmer places.

Here, it's not the solar, fall equinox, yet. It's the change in winds offshore that has started to change. Lots of fog, more small craft advisory etc. Crossing the Bar can get a little messy.20220823_192654.jpg

Here, it's not the solar, fall equinox, yet. It's the change in winds offshore that has started to change. Lots of fog, more small craft advisory etc. Crossing the Bar can get a little messy.View attachment 131484

That change in the seasons is why Doug and I decided to head south earlier than some.

I wanted to be in SOCAL for sure by the 1st of September.

My older brother was sort of a biker guy in his youth. I remember when he moved from So Cal after the Marines to Minneapolis. By his calculus, summer was about 5-weeks long. He'd spend all winter waiting for Memorial Day. By the time July 4th rolled along (5-weeks), depression would set in that summer was already half gone.

Peter

As hard as this may be to understand, some of us have the same dislike for constant heat as others do for cold. Cold is easy to escape by dressing appropriately, at some point heat is just hot and there’s no escape. And we live in a temperate area where real cold only lasts a few weeks.

Lot to be said for being a snowbird.

In winter, head South till you don't need heat.

In summer, head North until you don't need air conditioning.

And repeat.

Ted

As hard as this may be to understand, some of us have the same dislike for constant heat as others do for cold. Cold is easy to escape by dressing appropriately, at some point heat is just hot and there’s no escape. And we live in a temperate area where real cold only lasts a few weeks.

I'm the guy that has lived in Alaska for three decades.

You cannot escape the cold.

Your are either trapped in a building, or you are dressed in thick layers of clothing for half the year.

I have a condo in La Paz Baja and my boat is now in Ensenada.

La Paz is HOT..., From about noon to about six pm every day. You are trapped in air conditioning.

The other 18 hours it's comfortable to go do what ever you want to do. Every day.

That is the difference between hot and cold climates.

Boy, talk about glass-half-empty downers. They pull our boats by October 15, although last year they fell behind and we stayed in until nearly Halloween (although they turned off the water so we had to act like we were on a mooring ball). We have at least seven weeks to go and we use the boat until the last possible second, and make the marina guys rip the mooring lines out of our hands. September/Oct is actually our favorite time. Beautiful fall foliage. Nice and cool. Kids have gone back to school and there's less weekend action and craziness. Fewer runabouts and trailer boats. We'll bask in the late summer/fall as long as we can. Heck, we'd moor the boat in the middle of the river for the winter if we could and not have it pulled at all but we'd get crushed by ice floes.

Boy, talk about glass-half-empty downers. They pull our boats by October 15, although last year they fell behind and we stayed in until nearly Halloween (although they turned off the water so we had to act like we were on a mooring ball). We have at least seven weeks to go and we use the boat until the last possible second, and make the marina guys rip the mooring lines out of our hands. September/Oct is actually our favorite time. Beautiful fall foliage. Nice and cool. Kids have gone back to school and there's less weekend action and craziness. Fewer runabouts and trailer boats. We'll bask in the late summer/fall as long as we can. Heck, we'd moor the boat in the middle of the river for the winter if we could and not have it pulled at all but we'd get crushed by ice floes.

Agreed, we stretch the season as long as practical here. At this point, we usually launch around the first week of April (we beat most of the fishing charters to launch this year) and haul around the last week of October. The September / October boating is definitely some of the best. The weather is cool, but that means there's hardly anyone out, so everything is nice and peaceful. Realistically, if it weren't for the fuel dock (and therefore pumpout) closing at the end of October I'd probably wait until the first or second week of November to haul.

More suns are happening here
Solar production getting better
Winter doona has been put away
Still too cold to think of going in the water for a swim.
42 > 73f temps today

Last edited:
We cruise all year in the PNW but summer is definitely still in high gear in the BC Gulf Islands. Sunset from Poet’s Cove:

Attachments

• AB197A16-2B56-44E7-B162-58EF907244DA.jpg
    AB197A16-2B56-44E7-B162-58EF907244DA.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 1A03B52F-8B45-4B1B-87C5-ED7228E230CE.jpg
    1A03B52F-8B45-4B1B-87C5-ED7228E230CE.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 26
Same here. We cruise in the winter. Lots of folks put their boats for the winter. Most places on the Columbia River are empty in the winter.

Second vote for snowbirds…we say grey rainbirds…best of both worlds. Beautiful PNW when it’s best and the dry desert when it’s best…summer here winter there. Spring and fall…we’ll still crabbin time left����

Similar sunsets here on the other side of the country...

Attachments

• 20220819_200157[1].jpg
    20220819_200157[1].jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220819_193202[1].jpg
    20220819_193202[1].jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 24
Ditto from British Columbia

Attachments

• 4F8F76C8-B352-4D9D-B397-A646389FEF04.jpg
    4F8F76C8-B352-4D9D-B397-A646389FEF04.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 22
We are going to make up for it all and continue down the river system to Orange Beach AL & Pensacola FL. Short days shouldn’t bother us there ? maybe do the GreatLoop twice, #greatloop22

I grew up in a small fishing town on the southern New England coast. Over the years it has turned into a tourist destination. We have a saying here that we love September because the humidity and the tourists are both gone.

It's always summer in Mexico :blush:

Attachments

• 656D3547-357B-4F15-8C35-4DD8820A9EB9.jpg
    656D3547-357B-4F15-8C35-4DD8820A9EB9.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom