Suggestions for new boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You even wrote “in my opinion” in your post. [emoji57]

Everyone’s opinion here including yours is worth exactly what he (he? She?) paid for it.

I gave my opinion on a boats options, you know while actually trying to help the op. Don't try to gaslight me

Sharked if your out of Toronto check out " le boat" rentals in Smiths Falls on the Rideau canal European style and you can rent it and live on it.

I think you are talking about biting off more than you can chew. Buy a 40' trawler type boat and learn to use it in coastal waters first. Then after a few years if you really want to cruise the Caribbean you can think about a larger, more capable boat although properly equipped and with judicious weather watch you can do that as well in most 40'ers.
I could not agree more! I've had 10 boats that range in size fro 54' to 30' and ended my so called "big boat" ownership with a 42' Ocean Alexander. (My second OA) It delivered on most everything my wife & I wanted and we cruised that boat from the Channel Islands to Ensenada, Mexico. We carried the dinghy on the bow. Whether you want to economically cruise at 8 knots or get home faster at 20 knots, this boat will deliver! :oldman:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.37.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.37.37 AM.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.35.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.35.11 AM.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.36.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.36.33 AM.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.36.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.36.53 AM.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.38.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.38.20 AM.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.39.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.39.54 AM.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.45.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 6.45.08 AM.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 23
  • side shot.jpg
    side shot.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 24
People have gotten so hyper lately - wee need to calm down

This post certainly takes the prize for "Wet Blanket" post of the week. Nice!

Fortunately, it's also poorly informed. A well informed post would note that there are pockets of high crime areas"

OK, I don't like being called "wet blanket" so here goes.

First, I'm not a novice boater. I commercially fished my 32' Salmon boat in Alaska thru the 70's and 80's. Since then I have had numerous large boats and presently have a Mainship 36DC in Florida. I flew Boeing 747's around the world thru a long airline career and never injured a passenger.
I never mentioned the Bahamas. I've spent plenty of time there. It's a great destination and I never felt threatened there except when the power change came and the locals were all scrambling to find weapons.
I was talking about my own personal experience, far off the coasts of Haiti / DR, enroute to the BVI. Several men approached us in a little aluminum boat at daybreak, asking for water. My buddy was behind the fuel barrels and could see rifles in their boat, but nothing else. I tossed a gallon of water out and when the guy put it to his mouth, not a single bubble rose in the jug. He was pretending to be drinking. I advised my buddy and we both made our AR-15's visible. They turned and went away. If we were not armed, the four of us probably would have been fish food. An American Senator and his family "disappeared" in the same area and only their boat was found. A big problem today is the weapon restrictions keep honest sailors from arming themselves.
So, "wet blanket" or not, at 78 years of age I've learned a few things and I'm not afraid to share them in spite of the "only my opinion counts" types.
Once again, go slow and careful. Big decisions can lead to big mistakes.
And NOTHING takes the place of experience.

Oh, and just for clarity;

The Bahamas are located in the sub-tropical Atlantic Ocean, not the Caribbean.
The Bahamas is not technically a part of the Caribbean because it does not lie within or even border the Caribbean Sea.
Just say'in.

Oh, and just for clarity;

The Bahamas are located in the sub-tropical Atlantic Ocean, not the Caribbean.
The Bahamas is not technically a part of the Caribbean because it does not lie within or even border the Caribbean Sea.
Just say'in.

Ah, you're one of those types huh, forget meaning or spirit of the conversation, let's get a technical detail to invalidate all others. I am sure the OP meant bahamas and great cruising area when he wrote Caribbean.

Either way, you had two long guns on a cruise? I'm all for guns on board but if you had two AR's and you just happen to be the guy that runs into "pirates", well I'm skeptical to say the least.

Interesting read on the actual statistics and facts around crime against cruisers in the Caribbean in 2019. Looks like 2020 is a non-report year, presumably due to Covid.

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/ca...l-report-2019-reported-yacht-crime-caribbean/

A 10-year summary of all reports is located HERE

CmdrDick - I appreciate your sharing your experience. Sounds like it was scary. But to be fair, you made a sweeping statement about crime in the entire Caribbean - a 1-million square mile body of water, based on a single experience that happened who knows when. A bit of context would have helped. If you peruse the 10-year crime reports in the above link, you will find hot-spots move around quite a bit. Right now, Panama is a hot spot. A few years ago, Nicaragua was a hot-spot.

Peter

It IS a big deal when it's you that it happens to.

CmdrDick - I appreciate your sharing your experience. Sounds like it was scary. But to be fair, you made a sweeping statement about crime in the entire Caribbean - a 1-million square mile body of water, based on a single experience that happened who knows when. A bit of context would have helped. If you peruse the 10-year crime reports in the above link, you will find hot-spots move around quite a bit. Right now, Panama is a hot spot. A few years ago, Nicaragua was a hot-spot.

Peter[/QUOTE]

You are right, I could have added more details, but my response was getting too long already. Still, advice to a guy that has never been on salt is begging for serious info and even the tiny chance of piracy is something that they need to be aware of.

Good sailin to everyone.

I gave my opinion on a boats options, you know while actually trying to help the op. Don't try to gaslight me

Yes, you've trashed most everyone's experience and expertise and then told him to do much as many others have already said, and then that he should go read some books. And then mentioned that he doesn't have to worry about pirates very much. Very helpful. Maybe you could go into consulting.

It's a discussion forum. People here come for advice and discussion, not a curated experience.

Yes, you've trashed most everyone's experience and expertise and then told him to do much as many others have already said, and then that he should go read some books. And then mentioned that he doesn't have to worry about pirates very much. Very helpful. Maybe you could go into consulting.

It's a discussion forum. People here come for advice and discussion, not a curated experience.

Well that's a cute response, I'm sure he appreciates all the advice you gave. Get over yourself. I really generally like almost all boaters I meet, maybe when people get behind the keyboard they take on a pseudo-personality to step on others but they aren't really giant a holes in real life?

I appreciate your advice, however growing up in Nova Scotia I have spent 1st 30 years of my life on the ocean and I have sailed all over southern Nova Scotia.

Since then I have spent the last 20 years living in Ontario, where I have owned many boats up until my current boat which I have had since 2006 a Four Winns Vista 288. Which I have cruised all around the area, Lake Ontario, Lake Simcoe, Trent/Severn Waterway, etc

The Four Winns has a forward vberth and small kitchen area with a head center and a bunk to the rear under the cockpit. We have used it plenty for over night and weekend trips over the years.

While traveling we have rented many boats both in the Caribbean and overseas and now that retirement is closer, I want to narrow down my list of possible boats to liveaboard 24/7.

So again, I appreciate your advice regarding Pirates, lets keep on topic which was recommendations for a liveaboard cruiser.

"The advice about researching your insurability and buying a boat suited to your purpose is very sound." But, the harder part is knowing what you will actually be happy with.
Have you considered going to the ideal places where you want to cruise and renting boats that you think will make you happy. Experience is hard gained and very costly.
So many of us planned for years before retirement to be certain that we got everything that we thought we needed, only to find that the boat, the place, the weather, the cost, the actual floating around without our friends/kids/etc was NOT what would make us happy. Then you have a big hole in the water that will bomb your bank account.
Lastly, caribbean cruising can be dangerous. How will the wife feel after experiencing an attempted boarding by armed men. Families have disappeared while cruising off countries where extreme poverty exists.
I am not trying to blow smoke at your plans. Just saying that you seem locked into a huge decision making process that could be your undoing.
Take it slow, get some real experience, and let time guide you through careful planning and small decisions.

Last edited:
You avator caught my eye, so I had to google: Greenline 40
And I am quite taken with how it looks. May I ask more about yours? What year is it, and what engines?

Sharked if your out of Toronto check out " le boat" rentals in Smiths Falls on the Rideau canal European style and you can rent it and live on it.

Based on the exchange with CmdrDick, I did a quick search on the number of countries and territories in and around the Caribbean.

The lower-48 US is about 3m square miles, so only about 3x the size of the Caribbean. As diverse as the US is, the Caribbean is much more diverse. There are over 25 countries, and another half-dozen territories (Puerto Rico, BVI/AVI, Providencia (Colombia), being a few). There are over 38m people who live on the islands, and God only knows how many live in the coastal zones on mainlands. Because of the proximity to Jamaica and Cuba, Bahamas are often tossed into the mix of "Caribbean Countries," albeit with an asterisk. There are six major languages spoken.

Bottom line - very diverse region, with many different interests. Great cruising grounds. Can be challenging boating, but a very interesting places to visit.

Peter

Sharked,
The following are merely the suggestions and recommendations of a demented old man.

Length: mid 30ft to lower 40ft range. Depending upon the internal layout and number of staterooms, you may accommodate 2 to 4 people in reasonable comfort. Most mid 30ft boats usually allow to reconfigure the saloon table and seats to accommodate 2 people.
You do not want a "wet head" so that means a separate shower within the head.

Pretty much any boat can make it to the Bahamas and beyond assuming you watch your weather window.

I suggest you check the following site for sizes and models then start hunting for a used one. Good luck searching. They are few and far between.
https://www.americantugs.com/models/

Just a bit of information; although my boat is documented as a AT34, it has the same hull as the current AT36. Seems most every boat builder decided to add in the swim platform so as to get more money, selling it as a bigger boat. So far, I have not found anyone willing to live, eat and sleep on the swim platform. SMIRK

As with any boat, you want to investigate the available storage. The hanging closet and drawer space is important to a lady. If you select wrong, your clothes could end up in a shoe box. My lady now has 3 out of 4 drawers in the owner's stateroom. I tried to explain the '1/2 closet' to her but she kept on 'forgetting' until I put a hose clamp around the closet rod. LOL
Now we have to discuss the 1/2 floor space in the closet. LOL

If you travel down the east coast on the ICW, stopping at interesting towns and small cities, it could take most of the summer months and then some. OR do half to the Great Circle...... around the Great Lakes and down the Mississippi River. The key is to get out of the Great Lakes before the water gets 'thick'. THEN two options, across the Gulf, either to the FL Keys or take the cross FL canal. The cross FL canal will put you on the east coast of FL smack dab in the middle of FL.
NOW, that's the extend of the travel brochure. There is a Great Circle organization that will guide you in your quest. Of course if you have your heart set on visiting the Bahamas and beyond, careful planning is necessary. Once there, fuel and fresh water will be at a premium. If you install a water maker, that leaves only finding and managing your fuel.
Good luck in your search. No one says you must buy a boat within a year. Look at LOTS of boats of different styles etc.
Charter a boat, if possible, that you are considering.....

I say the following, "tongue in cheek."
Two subject not to broach unless you wish two start a worthless argument again are, what type of anchor and one or two engines.
Those subject have been discussed many times. You can look at the various topic and follow the blood trail. :banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Seaworthiness matters

If you're planning to run the ICW, a keel and skeg protected prop is a huge advantage. Unprotected props and shafts are expensive and time consuming to have repaired. Construction quality, stability in rough water, handling, comfort riding the hook, visibility, etc., are all factors to consider, all far more important than Euro-style vs. traditional. As for design, "form should fit function".

Don't overlook Nordic Tugs, American Tugs, and others that one sees often on the ICW. There's a reason so many are cruising and not serving as "cocktail condos" that float.

Best wishes for the finding right search process - maybe including charters, Trawlerfest, and seeing what's on the water you anticipate cruising. The right search process will aid you in finding the right boat. Try the TF forums of boat manufacturers you are considering.

Regardless of target boat size, etc., attend Trawlerfest, listen to Steve Zimmerman and others - the pros. Join US Power Squadrons in the area you want to cruise, learn from those very helpful people about what kind of boats work best on those waters. Both of those decisions were very helpful to me even after almost 5 decades of boat ownership (6 boats, 3 freshwater, 3 coastal.)

Remember if you cruise much you will eventually be aground.

Chose a boat that will not be harmed .

My buddy's Power Cat and my Willard 36 (traditional FD with keel protected prop) both have about 4 foot draft. He will not touch water skinnier than 7 feet, and even then he's nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. On occasion, I've plowed through mud berms that are 3'6" deep. Big difference if you boat in areas with skinny water.

Peter

Do you think there is enough living space for a couple to live on the Sabre 42 24/7 plus have the occasional guest couple on board?

IMO, on Sabre 42, during the day, pretty much everyone will be either in the saloon or near the helm station. At night, 2 staterooms and 2 heads, for privacy. So yes, the 42 is large enough to 2 people and the occasional guest couple. Remember not to make the guests too comfortable or they will never leave.
OH, one further point, check for ample hanging closet and drawer space. or your clothes will be in a shoe box. GRUMBLE GRUMBLE

You avator caught my eye, so I had to google: Greenline 40
And I am quite taken with how it looks. May I ask more about yours? What year is it, and what engines?

Yes it is a 2018. we have twin Volvo D3's .my wife and I are living aboard now for at least 4 months traveled almost 1000 nm so far and we love it.

I am cruising TN river now , slow to post. Power Cats have been mention, used Leopards 47-51 all for sale with up to 4 cabins, shallow draft, economy at trawler speeds , but capable of higher speeds, also different speeds not just slow and plane.Just some thoughts.

If you're planning to run the ICW, a keel and skeg protected prop is a huge advantage. Unprotected props and shafts are expensive and time consuming to have repaired. ..

Selected a keel-protected, single prop and rudder boat since much of my local waters are shallow. (Boat friends with two props have had damage to props and shafts.)

So, Sharked - where have your research and due diligence led you? Have you identified any makes/models that appear to meet the criteria you listed in your initial post at the top of this thread? I am at a very early stage of searching for my first trawler, and my criteria match up about 80% with yours.

No one has every followed my suggestions, so I won't offer any. :banghead::flowers:

My advice isn’t appreciate it either. I’ve Said this before you have the perfect boat in my opinion .I personally think it’s more than opinion . I think it’s not even open to discussion but that’s why I’m hated hear. I don’t know what engine you have as long as it is a bullet proof commercial diesel ,Kabota or the like that will run your boat at Hull speed and low RPMs so you can stand to listen to it run done !!!!!!!:whistling:

Last edited:
Oh your wife will get used to whatever Boat you buy just like she got used to living with you she’ll get over it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom