Suggestions for Desolation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliet 15

Vessel Name
Knot Hours
Vessel Make
Hatteras 58 LRC
Finally convinced the wife to make the trek to Desolation Sound; anchorages are pretty straight forward and easy to identify (active captain).

Any suggestions about what to do while there, like trails with great views, or places to go/see?

I want to make it a trip she wants to repeat.

Get a copy of Waggoners cruising guide. All the best spots are covered.

Yep, good advice. I have one, but left it on the boat.

Thx.

You may want to consider Toba Wilderness. They've great docks, power and good water. Hiking galore, wifi and garbage collection. We just spent 3 days there so this recommendation is current.

As suggested above: Toba Wilderness. Its a bit pricey however due to the location, they pretty much have to make everything in about 5 months, and bringing items in like fuel, food and other provisions is more expensive for them, I'm sure.

Toba Wilderness | Home | Experience Toba Inlet

Also Walsh Cove, is a less known but great spot, I'm going to link a video below for it. Most when they come to Desolation haunt the south end, but the real hard core beauty is at the north end. If you can, come up the west side of West Redonda and then hang a right at the top, try to do this on a clear day, you'll love it. Toba Inlet is a day trip only, but do it, you'll love it.

This is a Vlog I follow, this fellow lives in Victoria, I think technically Esquimalt, not sure. He is restoring his and his female friend's Monk boats. In this vid he is with his friend and this one takes you to Walsh Cove, early in the video:

Although I've never done it, Roscoe Bay apparently has a nice lake that you can hike to. (But the Bay itself can only be entered or exited at a fairly high tide so research is needed.) Von Donop Inlet is a miracle of nature and my personal favourite. And for your specific requirement it also has a nice trail up to a nice lake plus a hiking trail up over a ridge and over to Squirrel Cove.
Grace Harbour has a trail up to a lake although there can be some mud involved.
Teakern Arm has a short hike up to a lake as well.
Small Inlet, which is north of Seymour Narrows, has a nice set of trails that can take you up to a lake or over to Waiat Bay (SP?) which is part of the Octopus Island Marine Park, another fabulous cruising destination.
I think you will have a fabulous time!

I like Roscoe bay. The hike is nice. The bay is pleasant and a good place to swim in its own right.

Others have mentioned trails and swimming, but if you are going this month, the water could be starting to cool.

I like to visit Refuge Cove. It is (to me) a very interesting (but small) place to visit. In the summer, it can be fun to sit up on the balcony of Matt's restaurant having a nice meal with a drink watching all of the comings and goings. They have a small store that is reasonably well stocked and a fuel dock and are very busy for such a small place. Not sure when they greatly cut back and close most of it down for the off season. Great people there as well.
If you are a bit adventurous (meaning don't mind having to navigate a rapid) I strongly suggest the Octopus Islands. Many don't go due to the rapid, but it (either Hole in the Wall or Beasley Passage) just must be timed for slack water. Good trails in the area (especially at the head of Wyatt Bay).
Restaurants for dinner out include the Laughing Oyster down Okeover Inlet and the patio at the Heriott Bay Hotel. For the Hotel, you can tie up at Taku Resort or anchor off Rebecca Spit and dinghy over. The docks at the Hotel are (at least were) terrible. There are docks outside the Laughing Oyster and they should not be very busy this time of year.

Definitely spend at least one night anchored in Prideaux Haven (on a nice day) for the mountain views.
Enjoy your trip, there are many great anchorages and a few nice marinas in the area.

Tenedos Bay has Unwin Lake and a trail to the viewpoint above the bay.
Teakerne Arm has Cassel Lake and an unnamed lake near the head.
Roscoe Bay has Black Lake and a trail along the north shore.
Elworthy Island has a trail to an un-named lake directly to the north.
Pendrell Sound has a large lagoon.
Von Donop Inlet has the Lagoon, Wylie Lake and Robertson Lake, and a trail over to Squirrel Cove.
Squirrel has the trail over to Von Donop and its own Lagoon.
Waiatt Bay has Small Inlet and Newton Lake.
Manson's Landing has Hague Lake.
Melanie Cove has a trail to Unwin Lake.

Those should keep you interested for a while.

As suggested above: Toba Wilderness. Its a bit pricey however due to the location, they pretty much have to make everything in about 5 months, and bringing items in like fuel, food and other provisions is more expensive for them, I'm sure.

Toba Wilderness | Home | Experience Toba Inlet

Also Walsh Cove, is a less known but great spot, I'm going to link a video below for it. Most when they come to Desolation haunt the south end, but the real hard core beauty is at the north end. If you can, come up the west side of West Redonda and then hang a right at the top, try to do this on a clear day, you'll love it. Toba Inlet is a day trip only, but do it, you'll love it.

This is a Vlog I follow, this fellow lives in Victoria, I think technically Esquimalt, not sure. He is restoring his and his female friend's Monk boats. In this vid he is with his friend and this one takes you to Walsh Cove, early in the video:

A good advertisement for why an electric outboard is great for exploring. And, he's using an inexpensive Minn Kota, probably less than $200 U.S. He is talking softly while poking into little inlets. Try that with a 15 hp gas motor.

On your way up, a little known jewel is Mitlenatch Island. Best as a stop over for a couple hours on your way across the strait, anchor at the beach on the west side. It's a well protected bird sanctuary, but they do allow visitors on the marked trails. Drop by the caretakers shack, they rotate in every couple weeks and love (crave) human interaction.

I like to visit Refuge Cove. It is (to me) a very interesting (but small) place to visit. In the summer, it can be fun to sit up on the balcony of Matt's restaurant having a nice meal with a drink watching all of the comings and goings. They have a small store that is reasonably well stocked and a fuel dock and are very busy for such a small place. Not sure when they greatly cut back and close most of it down for the off season. Great people there as well.

I second Refuge Cove. Try to time it for arriving Saturday and stay the night. They have dock entertainment a lot of Saturday evenings. Have enjoyed many an evening listening to great music and watching all the dancing going on. Store surprisingly is very well stocked and the fish n chips at the restaurant are excellent too.

Back
Top Bottom