Old 02-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #1

City: Pa
Vessel Model: Albin 27 fc
suggestion 2 cabin 2 head

Hi
looking for suggestions for used brand/model trawlers to look for with 2 separate cabins and 2 heads in as small a package as practical. 35-40' max
-I want to cruise as a couple with occasional guests for extended stay.(hence 2 cab/2 hd)
-late 90's onward , single quality diesel , don't need flybridge.
-minimal exterior wood work
-Coastal/Bahamas/Gulf east coast US only.
-NS made Monk 36 is clear choice , what else is out there? it's hard to know. unlike sailboats there no good data base for trawlers/powerboats.
-price range I would like to be less than $200k including immediate repairs reqd
Also prefer brand that holds its value so can be resold 5-10 years on without too much loss if possible
thanks in advance warren
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Single diesel will likely be the biggest restriction. Yachtworld has a # of engines search criteria - if you plug it in along with powerboats you'll quickly see everything in your area. I'd guess most would be 2 cabin and 2 head in that size range.

You seem to be looking for a Mainship 390 (can't remember if they have 1 head or 2 tho).
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Except for your single diesel requirement, the Bayliner 4087 and 3587 is a worthwhile consideration. Mostly depreciated, Cummins power, efficient if run that way, lots of inventory moving (demand). Great capability for the money.

These folks put over 4000 hours on one, used as a trawler:

www.mvdirona.com

https://mvdirona.com/2010/01/bayliner-4087/
Old 02-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
Single diesel will likely be the biggest restriction. Yachtworld has a # of engines search criteria - if you plug it in along with powerboats you'll quickly see everything in your area. I'd guess most would be 2 cabin and 2 head in that size range.

You seem to be looking for a Mainship 390 (can't remember if they have 1 head or 2 tho).
thanks i have tried yacht world to filter by heads and cabins but its not an option so you have to search around in the text to find info.....
ill check out the mainship but not my first choice although they are cheap as chips
Old 02-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Except for your single diesel requirement, the Bayliner 4087 and 3587 is a worthwhile consideration. Mostly depreciated, Cummins power, efficient if run that way, lots of inventory moving (demand). Great capability for the money.

These folks put over 4000 hours on one, used as a trawler:

www.mvdirona.com

https://mvdirona.com/2010/01/bayliner-4087/
i would never have though of a Bayliner , having seen the quality of their smaller boats i would not even consider but i will check out your links
thanks warren
Old 02-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Tollycraft, DeFever and Selene have two cabin two head setups at 36 to 40'. Selene would be newer and have better 'potential' resale.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:40 AM   #7
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren View Post
-NS made Monk 36 is clear choice , what else is out there? it's hard to know. unlike sailboats there no good data base for trawlers/powerboats.

You might check out the Powerboat Guide. It doesn't catalog every boat in the free world, but it does list many, with layout pics. Softcopy permits keyword searches.

-Chris
Old 02-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
Guru

City: gulf coast
Imo look at boats before ruling out stuff. The fly bridge allows extra interior living space. Twins make like easier

I had a carver 440 that was perfect for what you describe.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #9

City: Jacksonville, FL
Sees him for a semi-restored Marine Trader.

They’re not all beaten to death.
hytedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Grand Haven
Vessel Name: Feath (fee-a) Gaelic for Calm, Tranquil
Vessel Model: 1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
I'm not sure if there are many out there right now, but we looked at and ended up buying a Jefferson 37 sundeck. We were looking at the Bayliners, but having the upper helm/fly bridge up an almost straight ladder didn't seem like the best thing for my wife and I who are in the 60's. We have 3 steps down to the main saloon, three down to the galley, forward berth (offset double) with a complete head on one side and separate shower on another. From the main level/saloon, it is three down to the rear berth, in-line double with a full head/shower on the port side.
From the sundeck, it is about 4 steps up to the upper helm. With a fully enclosed sundeck and upper helm, it adds another couple of rooms.
Has twin helms with twin 250hp cummins.
LenBuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #11

Powerboat guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You might check out the Powerboat Guide. It doesn't catalog every boat in the free world, but it does list many, with layout pics. Softcopy permits keyword searches.

-Chris
thanks Chris , great suggestion
Gablemarine.com used to have some of these listing in the trawler range but now off line . but a lot more boats in this guide
cheers warren
Old 02-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBuchanan View Post
I'm not sure if there are many out there right now, but we looked at and ended up buying a Jefferson 37 sundeck. We were looking at the Bayliners, but having the upper helm/fly bridge up an almost straight ladder didn't seem like the best thing for my wife and I who are in the 60's. We have 3 steps down to the main saloon, three down to the galley, forward berth (offset double) with a complete head on one side and separate shower on another. From the main level/saloon, it is three down to the rear berth, in-line double with a full head/shower on the port side.
From the sundeck, it is about 4 steps up to the upper helm. With a fully enclosed sundeck and upper helm, it adds another couple of rooms.
Has twin helms with twin 250hp cummins.
Thanks
interesting , yup i could not find a 37 listed to look at, its amazing the low prices of larger 48 plus type cruisers , so much potential for expense and cost of mooring too i guess..... way more than i would want to handle.... or deal with.
cheers warren
Old 02-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
A Marine Trader 38' "Double Cabin" has two heads, there is one for sale in Jacksonville with a Cummins 6BT and a true double berth in guest cabin instead of a v-berth.

https://moreboats.com/boats/marine-t...e-cabin/389725

It does have teak as do all those MTs.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
There are many double cabin single engine trawlers out there. This will get you 95% of whats is out there. Enough to give you a feel for what you might want.

Search Yachtworld UK advanced search
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/advanced-boat-search/

Change Length to FEET and Currency to USD
Search:
Power
Used

Trawler
Length: 34 - 43

Diesel
One engine or two

Price $1000-$200000
Leave MAKE blank
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Grand Haven
Vessel Name: Feath (fee-a) Gaelic for Calm, Tranquil
Vessel Model: 1989 Jefferson 37 Sundeck
I did see a great looking Jefferson 42 for sale on Yachtworld, I believe it was around 79k to the best of my 'old recollection'.
LenBuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
There are many double cabin single engine trawlers out there. This will get you 95% of whats is out there. Enough to give you a feel for what you might want.

Search Yachtworld UK advanced search
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/advanced-boat-search/

Change Length to FEET and Currency to USD
Search:
Power
Used

Trawler
Length: 34 - 43

Diesel
One engine or two

Price $1000-$200000
Leave MAKE blank
hi not sure why you suggested yachtworld UK??
im very familiar with yachtworld
but they don't have search parimeters for accommodation
itsa wonderfully dangerous site to spend time with thought!
Old 02-22-2021, 04:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
^Some Yachtworld versions in other countries preserve the classic search function, instead of the irritating and less effective filters that you are forced into using in the North American version. I'm partial to the Australian version, I just change the aussie dollars to USD and, voilà. They all still search the same inventory.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #18
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren View Post
hi not sure why you suggested yachtworld UK??
Yachtworld US has destroyed the ability to search. UK or (I hear) Aus still have it. Thank goodness.

[Oops I see Alaskaflyer pointed that out just ahead of me]
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Tampa
Vessel Name: Say Goodbye
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
The yachtworld (US) still works...you just need to: 1) click the green "search" button on the home page (don't apply any filters, just click the button); 2) when the results come up, click the "clear all" (filters) button; 3) then choose the filters you want - length, year, engines, fuel type, hull material, make, price, location, etc.
BroadCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Aurora
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
We have a 2002 Heritage East 36', which we love. It has a single diesel engine, easy maneuverablity around the boat with molded steps instead of ladders. It's got a forward guest cabin, forward head, and a rear captain's cabin, island queen bed, and head. The galley is down a few steps, giving us a real main salon that doesn't have to share space with the galley. There's a sun deck which is great for eating or having drinks. There's a flybridge, which we love for it's comfort and visibility. We've got a full enclosure and only drive from the flybridge. There is a helm in the salon, but we don't even have a seat for it. The flybridge is up a few molded steps. Very easy for our 75 lb. German shepherd to get anywhere on the boat.
Bellakins is offline   Reply With Quote