suggestion 2 cabin 2 head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warren

Vessel Make
Albin 27 fc
Hi
looking for suggestions for used brand/model trawlers to look for with 2 separate cabins and 2 heads in as small a package as practical. 35-40' max
-I want to cruise as a couple with occasional guests for extended stay.(hence 2 cab/2 hd)
-late 90's onward , single quality diesel , don't need flybridge.
-minimal exterior wood work
-Coastal/Bahamas/Gulf east coast US only.
-NS made Monk 36 is clear choice , what else is out there? it's hard to know. unlike sailboats there no good data base for trawlers/powerboats.
-price range I would like to be less than $200k including immediate repairs reqd
Also prefer brand that holds its value so can be resold 5-10 years on without too much loss if possible
thanks in advance warren

Single diesel will likely be the biggest restriction. Yachtworld has a # of engines search criteria - if you plug it in along with powerboats you'll quickly see everything in your area. I'd guess most would be 2 cabin and 2 head in that size range.

You seem to be looking for a Mainship 390 (can't remember if they have 1 head or 2 tho).

Except for your single diesel requirement, the Bayliner 4087 and 3587 is a worthwhile consideration. Mostly depreciated, Cummins power, efficient if run that way, lots of inventory moving (demand). Great capability for the money.

These folks put over 4000 hours on one, used as a trawler:

www.mvdirona.com

https://mvdirona.com/2010/01/bayliner-4087/

Single diesel will likely be the biggest restriction. Yachtworld has a # of engines search criteria - if you plug it in along with powerboats you'll quickly see everything in your area. I'd guess most would be 2 cabin and 2 head in that size range.

You seem to be looking for a Mainship 390 (can't remember if they have 1 head or 2 tho).
thanks i have tried yacht world to filter by heads and cabins but its not an option so you have to search around in the text to find info.....
ill check out the mainship but not my first choice although they are cheap as chips

Except for your single diesel requirement, the Bayliner 4087 and 3587 is a worthwhile consideration. Mostly depreciated, Cummins power, efficient if run that way, lots of inventory moving (demand). Great capability for the money.

These folks put over 4000 hours on one, used as a trawler:

www.mvdirona.com

https://mvdirona.com/2010/01/bayliner-4087/
i would never have though of a Bayliner , having seen the quality of their smaller boats i would not even consider but i will check out your links
thanks warren

Tollycraft, DeFever and Selene have two cabin two head setups at 36 to 40'. Selene would be newer and have better 'potential' resale.

-NS made Monk 36 is clear choice , what else is out there? it's hard to know. unlike sailboats there no good data base for trawlers/powerboats.

You might check out the Powerboat Guide. It doesn't catalog every boat in the free world, but it does list many, with layout pics. Softcopy permits keyword searches.

-Chris

Imo look at boats before ruling out stuff. The fly bridge allows extra interior living space. Twins make like easier

I had a carver 440 that was perfect for what you describe.

Last edited:
Sees him for a semi-restored Marine Trader.

They’re not all beaten to death.

I'm not sure if there are many out there right now, but we looked at and ended up buying a Jefferson 37 sundeck. We were looking at the Bayliners, but having the upper helm/fly bridge up an almost straight ladder didn't seem like the best thing for my wife and I who are in the 60's. We have 3 steps down to the main saloon, three down to the galley, forward berth (offset double) with a complete head on one side and separate shower on another. From the main level/saloon, it is three down to the rear berth, in-line double with a full head/shower on the port side.
From the sundeck, it is about 4 steps up to the upper helm. With a fully enclosed sundeck and upper helm, it adds another couple of rooms.
Has twin helms with twin 250hp cummins.

Powerboat guide

You might check out the Powerboat Guide. It doesn't catalog every boat in the free world, but it does list many, with layout pics. Softcopy permits keyword searches.

-Chris
thanks Chris , great suggestion
Gablemarine.com used to have some of these listing in the trawler range but now off line . but a lot more boats in this guide
cheers warren

I'm not sure if there are many out there right now, but we looked at and ended up buying a Jefferson 37 sundeck. We were looking at the Bayliners, but having the upper helm/fly bridge up an almost straight ladder didn't seem like the best thing for my wife and I who are in the 60's. We have 3 steps down to the main saloon, three down to the galley, forward berth (offset double) with a complete head on one side and separate shower on another. From the main level/saloon, it is three down to the rear berth, in-line double with a full head/shower on the port side.
From the sundeck, it is about 4 steps up to the upper helm. With a fully enclosed sundeck and upper helm, it adds another couple of rooms.
Has twin helms with twin 250hp cummins.

Thanks
interesting , yup i could not find a 37 listed to look at, its amazing the low prices of larger 48 plus type cruisers , so much potential for expense and cost of mooring too i guess..... way more than i would want to handle.... or deal with.
cheers warren

There are many double cabin single engine trawlers out there. This will get you 95% of whats is out there. Enough to give you a feel for what you might want.

Search Yachtworld UK advanced search
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/advanced-boat-search/

Change Length to FEET and Currency to USD
Search:
Power
Used

Trawler
Length: 34 - 43

Diesel
One engine or two

Price $1000-$200000
Leave MAKE blank

I did see a great looking Jefferson 42 for sale on Yachtworld, I believe it was around 79k to the best of my 'old recollection'.

There are many double cabin single engine trawlers out there. This will get you 95% of whats is out there. Enough to give you a feel for what you might want.

Search Yachtworld UK advanced search
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/advanced-boat-search/

Change Length to FEET and Currency to USD
Search:
Power
Used

Trawler
Length: 34 - 43

Diesel
One engine or two

Price $1000-$200000
Leave MAKE blank
hi not sure why you suggested yachtworld UK??
im very familiar with yachtworld
but they don't have search parimeters for accommodation
itsa wonderfully dangerous site to spend time with thought!

^Some Yachtworld versions in other countries preserve the classic search function, instead of the irritating and less effective filters that you are forced into using in the North American version. I'm partial to the Australian version, I just change the aussie dollars to USD and, voilà. They all still search the same inventory.

hi not sure why you suggested yachtworld UK??

Yachtworld US has destroyed the ability to search. UK or (I hear) Aus still have it. Thank goodness.

[Oops I see Alaskaflyer pointed that out just ahead of me]

The yachtworld (US) still works...you just need to: 1) click the green "search" button on the home page (don't apply any filters, just click the button); 2) when the results come up, click the "clear all" (filters) button; 3) then choose the filters you want - length, year, engines, fuel type, hull material, make, price, location, etc.

We have a 2002 Heritage East 36', which we love. It has a single diesel engine, easy maneuverablity around the boat with molded steps instead of ladders. It's got a forward guest cabin, forward head, and a rear captain's cabin, island queen bed, and head. The galley is down a few steps, giving us a real main salon that doesn't have to share space with the galley. There's a sun deck which is great for eating or having drinks. There's a flybridge, which we love for it's comfort and visibility. We've got a full enclosure and only drive from the flybridge. There is a helm in the salon, but we don't even have a seat for it. The flybridge is up a few molded steps. Very easy for our 75 lb. German shepherd to get anywhere on the boat.

Consider the 396 Carver with twin diesels. Punches all the buttons on your list including price, not sure it's technically a trawler though.

Search for a American Tug 41 or 43. That will full fill your dreams.

Try Aerican Tug

They make a great 435 use to be labeled as a 41'.

Grand Banks

Grand Banks Classic, 36' or 42' excellent quality, 2 cabins, 2 heads. Our 1988 36' has a single naturally aspirated CAT 3208. These models were built into the early 1990s and bullet proof. There are some out there for sale and very much sought after. Many in your price range. I believe all of the classics have flying bridges but the view is always great from there.

We bought ours nearly 5 years ago, it's 33 years old, pristine and other than some electronics up grades she has been an excellent cruising vessel. Our engine has 7200 hours and will start in a nano second by just breathing on the starter button. Grand Banks, one of the gold standards in classic trawlers.

Good luck!
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' GB Heritage Classic
Potts Harbor Maine
207-833-5080

Trawler recommendation

I owned a 1985 35' PT35 Sundeck (Performance Trawler) for 26 years and was very happy with her. Raised aft deck, 2 heads, offered with single or twin engines. Also made in 38' and 42'. Several on the market. Worth a look.

2 Cabin 2 Head

Hi
looking for suggestions for used brand/model trawlers to look for with 2 separate cabins and 2 heads in as small a package as practical. 35-40' max
-I want to cruise as a couple with occasional guests for extended stay.(hence 2 cab/2 hd)
-late 90's onward , single quality diesel , don't need flybridge.
-minimal exterior wood work
-Coastal/Bahamas/Gulf east coast US only.
-price range I would like to be less than $200k including immediate repairs reqd
Also prefer brand that holds its value so can be resold 5-10 years on without too much loss if possible
thanks in advance warren

You can't go wrong with a Grand Banks 36 Classic.

Comment on Bayliner as their motor yachts are very common in the PNW. No I don't own one but I researched them when considering a different boat. In the mid-late 80's Baylliner got serious about building motor yachts and sold many of them. In the PNW the late 80's 32, 38, 45, and 47 motor yachts remain very popular to this day. In my research I found that the basic construction is very good, Bayliner had resources to do things that smaller builders couldn't afford like fully cored hulls, computer aided design, etc. As I said, I'm not a Bayliner 'person' but don't let people tell you that they're bad boats, they're fine - again for their intended purpose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom