Suckerfish to your boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Well, not suckerfish but like kayakers that ride your wake. Had a kayaker ride my bow wake, nearly midship and about five feet off the starboard beam. Traveling at six knots, he was able to keep up. Don't like to think what would happen if I made a hard-right turn. If needed, I'd take a 270-degree turn to port to head starboard.

When you get one of those just drop out of gear. When the boat slows down they will move on.

When you get one of those just drop out of gear. When the boat slows down they will move on.

That is what I do. Usually most people are in a bigger hurry than we are.

Haven't you realized yet that it's "All about me"? Don't want to start a rant, but the people that only think of themselves kinda get on my nerves. I'm referring to the kayaker of course. He is aware of only the fun he is having, not in any way concerned with what you are trying to do, your safety, or, for that matter, other than your wake is probably totally oblivious to your existence. It's a brave new world.

Use your hailer and tell them that they are creating an unsafe situation that you're not comfortable with. If they don't break off and go their way, turn the opposite way from them and get some distance.

Why should dolphins have all the fun?

As a kid from Canada we used to "bumper shine" which was a truly idiotic thing to do, but made for a real gut-busting laugh with your pals.

What you would do is run up behind a vehicle in a snowy/icy parking lot, grab the bumper, then squat down on your haunches and slide along on your feet for as long as you could (in the parking lot) before letting go.

If Mark had to make a quick turn the kayaker would be quicker by putting his rudder hard over, stabbing in a high brace paddle stroke on the back side of the wake and he'd be outta there...pronto.

Try not to be 'grumpy old men' :D

Last edited:
Isn’t this the exact situation for which you installed a cannon?
One across the bow, if no response, one into the waterline.

Maybe just ask him to drop back to your stern wake?

By allowing them to continue that close you are accepting the risk. If you ran one over, try explaining that in court?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom