Old 09-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #1

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Ava
Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts 3075
Stunning ignorance.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your previous help which allowed a newb like me to replace risers, manifolds and impellers.

Now that is done I'd like to clean out the cramped engine compartment once haul out comes.

Here's the stunning ignorance part - With batteries off and bilge plug out, can I take a garden hose with attached spray set on "Jet" and try to remove the worst of the dirt? Would that damage anything, upset anything, or is there a better way other than hiring an athletic monkey to clamber over the top of the two Mercruiser 5L engines?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0578 (1).jpg  
TorronaPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
If there is a lot of garbage down there, I hope your bilge drain is big! Where will any oily waste end up? Have you figured out a way to hose down the wetted areas of your engines with WD40 afterward?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #3

City: Lynden
Vessel Name: Joint Venture
Vessel Model: 1978 GlasPly 2800 mid cabin
In my twin 383's engine room I often use a 2500 psi power washer to clean the bilges out after it's been hauled and on my 3 axle trailer at season end. I store my boat in a heated shop that has a drain for all the water that comes out the bilge drain. I usually wash the engine thoroughly although on reduced pressure, all electrical terminal strips to remove salt residue, all bulkheads, hoses and fitting. Then I blow it down well with air to remove moisture and finally spray it well with WD40, especially on terminal strips. After all this is complete I run the engines using fresh water thru the raw water intakes to flush salt water out. The last minute or so I spray a fogging oil into the carbs until the engines quit running. This has worked well for me the past 20 years.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Now that you've wrenched on the engine you're more aware of how everything is connected. You want to avoid blasting water at any kind of pressure at fittings or connectors.

For the sake of not polluting, don't just let your bilge pumps dump the run off overboard. Use a few oil absorbing mats to collect the mess. If you're going to be on the boat you might want to raise the bilge pumps from their mounts to avoid them sucking out the water before it's had a chance to be absorbed by the mats. I wouldn't disconnect the wires to anything, as stuff sometimes doesn't get reconnected.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Stunning Ignorance

My bad, I thought this was a post about me!
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
You'll need some of those inflatable midgets to go with the athletic monkeys
Ever toolbox should have a supply.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Pretty sure he said he’s going to do this AFTER haul out. So a bucket under the drain with oil sorbent sheets will catch any oil. Wipe down by hand is slow but you can be thorough and no splatter. Pick up a heavy used blanket at a thrift store to lay onto the engine top. It definitely hurts less.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood, FL
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
While I guess the chosen method is OK, I prefer not using anything that would result in water misting around engine metal. It is a bit difficult to access under my engine, but one of those long-reach grabbers height-challenged people use for getting things off high shelves combined with a handful of paper towels soaked in something like Greased Lightning or even mineral spirits gets the oily or greasy stuff from the bilge surfaces without having to mess with the results from spraying the area down with water. Just sayin'...
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Stay away from the engine electrical like cap and spark plug wires. Then spray some Super Clean in the bilge, use a brush and then let it drain. Any large junk and left over water take a wet vac.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d246888e-34c0-4f25-b380-a2fe8e657f7d_2.91a49ce7e3226800e3c555779fa1409a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	121185
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #10

Thanks for all the information! Lots of good ideas. I'm going to take my time rereading through the posts again and make a plan of action.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
OP: You've replaced your own risers, manifolds and impellers and you call yourself a newb?!

You sound very competent to me!

Great job on your DIY spirit

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Stunning Ignorance

My bad, I thought this was a post about me!
Thought the same thing, except that it would be about me. Whew!
Old 09-18-2021, 02:42 AM   #13

City: Queen Charlotte
Before I repainted our motor I scrubbed what I could reach with that purple stuff above, then pressure washed it mercilessly. Avoided electrical connections and the air intake.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:44 AM   #14
Guru

Simple green is also a good cleaner/degreaser. If you want to limit the amount of rinse water you can use a garden sprayer.
Have fun!

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #15
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Sometimes a small steam cleaner can help... at least in a few places. It's not magic, though...

-Chris
Old 09-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #16
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Simple green is also a good cleaner/degreaser. If you want to limit the amount of rinse water you can use a garden sprayer.
Have fun!
Second the motion for Simple Green - not a miracle cleaner, but pretty darn good for oil and grease. The pump sprayer is also good for rinsing engines.

The guys who detail my cars once a year use something in the engine compartment that really does seem miraculous. It foams up as it's applied, sits for a few minutes and then hoses-off. I probably don't want to know about the environmental consequences, but will try to find out what it is.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #17

So many good ideas

Thanks again for all the input. It looks like when the boat is on the hard, it will be Super Clean and Simple Green for the shell of the compartment and perhaps Gunk FEB1 foamy engine cleaner for the two engines, carefully washed out by hose spray, collected from the bilge by shop vac, and then WD40 or similar applied to the engine.

Last problem to solve is where to dump the dirty waste, but I'll talk to the harbormaster about that.

Cheers!
Old 10-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #18

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Use a yard blower after washing the engines to remove extra water , you can all most get it water free. Run engines to farther dry them .Then spray with WD-40
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:52 PM   #19

Inventive!

Another good idea - thx for that
Old 10-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #20
FF
Guru

If water sloshes in the bilge , a cup of simple green every month or so will keep major crud deposits from happening.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote