Stuffing Box to Timber Keel Connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbishop

Vessel Name
Olivia Reese
Vessel Make
1985 Zirlott Trawler
I have a 1985 built custom trawler, commonly called here on the Gulf Coast, a Biloxi Lugger. I’m interested in comments or suggestions in renewing my stuffing box to timber keel connection. The box is held to the keel with bolting from the box flange to the stainless angles, the angles through bolted each side of the keel. There was a fabric textured red rubber gasket with an unknown white caulking compound between the box and keel. So bronze flange-to gasket-to timber keel. I’ve pulled the connection apart, cleaned all the fittings, cut a new 3/16” neoprene gasket and have all new stainless hardware. Note the box has a male casting protruding from the flange side which penetrates the keel keeping the shaft centered.
My plan changes the gasket from red rubber (styrene-butadiene?) to black neoprene at the suggestion that the red rubber will become brittle and the neoprene will hold up better to bilge fluids; although I clarify this area remains in the dry. And I’ve added LifeCalk as described below.
My plan is to rough up the neoprene gasket to provide a textured finish, clean all mating surfaces with LifeCalk Solvent & Cleaner, apply LifeCalk Primer to promote adhesion, then apply LifeCalk to all surfaces and reassemble but not bolting tight thereby allowing the LifeCalk to firm up; then bolt tight.
Any comments or suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1175 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1175 (Copy).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom