Stuffing box movement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to find a GOOD place in Galveston/Clear lake to do the work. I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Have them check that new key also . My friend put the wrong key in his and had problems . Good luck . Sorry you're having problems .

Thanks all.

After getting back to Offatts yesterday and looking at things, I noticed my transmission rear seal at the output shaft is leaking now. I had to add about 1/2 quart of oil after about 10 hours of running. I added some the day before but didn't see a leak.

So maybe my slight shaft vibration wore out the oil seal on the trans as well as the packing gland?

I've decided to limp back to Rockport, fix everything there while close to home, and try the trip again later.

Not surprising. Seals will give first if shaft is wobbling. Bearings next. Experienced mechanic should be able to replace rear seal without pulling transmission. It's not that complicated.

Yep, tranny leak would bother me too with all the other info.

Have seen wobbles, not run too hard that don't cause tranny leaks within a reasonable time.....

But your vibes might have started last year and slowly worked their way up to multiple failures now..sorry for your troubles...but don't feel alone....:D

So, thinking ahead here, when I get back I need to have the boat hauled, remove the prop and shaft, and take them somewhere to get them balanced or trued?

While it's hauled I can try to replace that rear trans seal, unless that's not a DIY job. Also need to replace the packing gland. I've never done that either. Guess this is a good time to learn.

What about the cutlass bearing?

Greetings,
Mr. 01. Yup, seems you have a plan of attack. You may have to do all of the above BUT, once hauled, your "problem" may be obvious. I replaced a rear seal on a Velvet Drive transmission a while back while in the water. First time I ever did so but I had previous experience replacing oil seals before.

De-couple flanges, slide prop shaft aft, release (unbend) locking washer behind that humongous nut holding the flange to the transmission, undo nut, carefully pry out old seal, clean housing, install and seat new seal carefully (do not put it in backwards), replace flange, apply sealant before putting on nut, re-torque nut, bend over locking washer, slide prop shaft forward and re-attach. Done.

It will be of an advantage to partially drain fluid from the transmission so it won't gush out when you remove the flange/seal. Lots of diapers underneath potential leak points and some cold libations in the cooler to celebrate upon completion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardude,
If you need anything like extra transmission fluid as you pass through Matagorda, let know. I live only 20 minutes away.
Luke

So, thinking ahead here, when I get back I need to have the boat hauled, remove the prop and shaft, and take them somewhere to get them balanced or trued?

While it's hauled I can try to replace that rear trans seal, unless that's not a DIY job. Also need to replace the packing gland. I've never done that either. Guess this is a good time to learn.

What about the cutlass bearing?

Cutlass bearings are pretty rugged, but its the perfect time to check them. Packing a stuffing box turns out to be easy once you get there. Read up on line how to do it and once you're there it will all make sense. I am like you and would want to make sure everything is correct before heading out on a long trip. Makes for much easier sleeping at night.

Ken

Cardude...How are you doing ref vibration, leakage & this morning's thunderstorms?

I left the boat at the municipal marina in Matagorda yesterday at 7:30. . It was blowing 25 mph when I docked. It was lovely. Wife drove over and picked me up.

Going back tonight to finish the trip starting early tomorrow. The vibration has not gotten any worse. The trans seal leak seems the same-- adding about 4 oz per hour. I hope to bring a mate tonight to help drive the boat while I administer transmission care.

Back
Top Bottom