Struggling with what to offer on a Chris-Craft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GMandGW

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Liver Spots
Vessel Make
1987 Nova Sundeck
Hello! Before we buy a big liveaboard in 2023, we decided to get a weekender and have some fun. We really loved the layout of a 1972 Chris Craft Coho 33’ we looked at. Great for our dogs, which is important to us. The boat is in terrific shape with twin diesel engines and upgrades. However, the generator is shot, one of the fuel tanks need to be replaced, and it needs a bottom job. They’re asking $28,500. IMO it’s nowhere near worth that. It’s been on the market a long time and we’d like to make a realistic and reasonable offer before having it surveyed. Any advice is welcome. I’d post the ad link here, but I don’t know if that’s allowed.

Before you make an offer make sure you can get insurance if you want insurance. Boats of that age are getting more difficult to get insurance.

Good point! Looking into that now.

The value of a nearly 50 year old Chris Craft Coho needing at least one tank replacement and with a genny which does not function is approximately $0, nothing, nada.

The twin engines in such a small boat will make the tank replacement over $15,000. Probably about the same for the genny, although you will probably fix it while one or both engines are out and save some labor, still an expensive job.

Sure you can post the listing. Be it Craigs list, E-bay, Yachtworld or a poster hanging at a marina. In fact we love to see these postings. I suppose some people hang back on posting listings for fear someone else will snap it up from under them. Fear this NOT, my friend. This boat is so far overpriced that it will be on the market for a long time.

However, be prepared for T.F.ers to analyze the heck out of the ad and pictures.

But good luck, the boat is for sale for a reason and the seller will, no doubt consider offers.

pete

If you are going to get insurance and it actually does have a leaking fuel tank, the insurance company will likely require the fuel tank be replaced before they will insure it. That is if the surveyor finds it leaking and since it is noted in the listing the surveyor probably will find it. Our insurance company gave us 30 days to fix the things called out on the survey but they were actually minor issues compared to a leaking fuel tank.

Ordinarily I'd say it sounds like they're asking the price it would be worth with a running genset and good tanks. But having diesels and not the typical gassers may be enough to change that equation. Depending on effort required to replace the tanks and cost to fix or replace the genset, it may or may not be worth it.

I scanned the thumbnail pictures and the engines sure look like they have carburetors on them. Have you actually seen the engines to confirm if they were diesels? They look more like small block v-8 gassers.

I just took a look at the pictures. I'm really unsure what those engines are at a glance. They're V8s for sure, but it doesn't look like there's a carb between the flame arrestor and intake manifold. And they're certainly not a small block Chevy. And the ad lists them as 145hp Chevy diesels. Back then, Chris Craft was marinizing their own gas engines, so if they were the typical Chris Craft Chevy block gassers, they should be blue. But instead, they're green, plus the intake manifold, coolant outlet, etc. is all wrong for an SBC. I do see what looks like an injection pump in the lifter valley below the intake manifold. They're also non-turbo engines.

And that generator looks to be in Onan marine off-white paint, but it's definitely not an MCCK like I'd expect to see in a gas Chris Craft of that vintage (and it's not any model I recognize). So I'd say the thing definitely has diesels (and probably not enough power to cruise on plane for any period of time).

After some digging and being extremely curious, I'm pretty sure I've got the answer for what those engines are: They're a GM 6.2 or 6.5 diesel, non-turbo. Which also means they're not original to the boat, as those weren't available in 1972. I'm finding mentions of an industrial version of the 6.2 having been rated at 145hp and all of the versions of the 6.5 being rated higher, even naturally aspirated. So they're probably 6.2s.

I just took a look at the pictures. I'm really unsure what those engines are at a glance. They're V8s for sure, but it doesn't look like there's a carb between the flame arrestor and intake manifold. And they're certainly not a small block Chevy. And the ad lists them as 145hp Chevy diesels. Back then, Chris Craft was marinizing their own gas engines, so if they were the typical Chris Craft Chevy block gassers, they should be blue. But instead, they're green, plus the intake manifold, coolant outlet, etc. is all wrong for an SBC. I do see what looks like an injection pump in the lifter valley below the intake manifold. They're also non-turbo engines.

And that generator looks to be in Onan marine off-white paint, but it's definitely not an MCCK like I'd expect to see in a gas Chris Craft of that vintage (and it's not any model I recognize). So I'd say the thing definitely has diesels (and probably not enough power to cruise on plane for any period of time).

After some digging and being extremely curious, I'm pretty sure I've got the answer for what those engines are: They're a GM 6.2 or 6.5 diesel, non-turbo. Which also means they're not original to the boat, as those weren't available in 1972. I'm finding mentions of an industrial version of the 6.2 having been rated at 145hp and all of the versions of the 6.5 being rated higher, even naturally aspirated. So they're probably 6.2s.

This is a fantastic amount of information. I really appreciate it! This is such an interesting boat, we didn’t want to walk away immediately. Worth a little digging. Not sure if it’s worth a little money yet, but this feedback is valuable.

If you are going to get insurance and it actually does have a leaking fuel tank, the insurance company will likely require the fuel tank be replaced before they will insure it. That is if the surveyor finds it leaking and since it is noted in the listing the surveyor probably will find it. Our insurance company gave us 30 days to fix the things called out on the survey but they were actually minor issues compared to a leaking fuel tank.

The boat is at a marina and the owner only had it 6 months before falling in love with the water, buying a bigger boat, and living on it in the slip next door. The tank leak must have been there when he purchased and since it’s at a marina, it’s probably insured. I reached out to the owner to find out how on earth he got it insured. Stay tuned...

The pictures would not load for me but no problem. I will say it is a very nice looking boat, shows some pride of ownership.

It does not change my original evaluation of price though. It has none. And that just relates to the obvious, the fuel tank, botoom job and geney. Not to mention the two dozen minor faults the survey will find like soft spots, blisters, outdated electronics, wiring issues, etc.

Buy it, but buy it VERY cheap.

pete

I scanned the thumbnail pictures and the engines sure look like they have carburetors on them. Have you actually seen the engines to confirm if they were diesels? They look more like small block v-8 gassers.

Those are diesel engines, 379CI or 6.2L GM Detroit Diesels. Natural aspirated, long lasting IF cared for and very low on power at 145hp each and are not OEM as the 6.2 wasn't out yet. Having owned an 83 GMC with the 6.2 it was easily recognized as one of GM's poor quality diesel engine in regards to power.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic amount of information. I really appreciate it! This is such an interesting boat, we didn’t want to walk away immediately. Worth a little digging. Not sure if it’s worth a little money yet, but this feedback is valuable.

I cannot see the pictures in the add but if these are the early 6.2 GM diesels I have had a few in trucks and they had their share of problems. Not and engine I would pursue to have in a boat or truck. If going further with this boat please make sure you get a good engine survey from someone knowledgeable and willing to work on these engines. They will pay close attention to things like:
harmonic balancers, overheat, potential head crack cyl 8, fuel injection pump type and condition, glow plug system, etc.
Good luck with your search.

As a fishing platform it is well laid out, for cruising I would find the forward stateroom and head pretty cramped. The port-a-potty head would have little capacity further restricting cruising.
If one tank is leaking the other can't be far behind, and with the v-drives it's even more complicated to pull the engines, although hatch access does look pretty good.
It's appearance looks good for the year of it, but if he's already bought a bigger boat in the slip next door I'm guessing it would go for a lot less than asking :)

James

I was interested in this boat about a year and a half ago. Must have been the previous owner. I called and spoke with him and was going to go look at it but decided it was too far for me. If I am correct the previous owner employment had a job that required the use of this boat often (dive charter maybe?) and he bought it and refurbed everything. He sounded like he really was knowledgeable. He told me those particular engines would last a long time if you did not run them hard and he said he never did in the several years he owned it and used it. From my research on them his description was accurate that if they are run hard they do not have a long life expectancy. He was asking in the $40s at the time. But I doubt it had a leaky tank.

The boat really looks great IMO for its age and its apparent a ton of attention has been given to it in many many areas. For me the problem is the leaky tank. Is it a black iron tank that is rusting? Or is it simply a leaking fitting on an aluminum tank? If that tank is an old rusty iron tank you may as well change both. That will be costly and time consuming unless there is a route to remove without pulling the engines. I would actually rather pull an old generator and install a new one than R&R two old iron tanks any day of the week. Overall though I like that boat as a weekender.

Last edited:
Some repairs have a high incident of scope creep. Tank replacement is definitely one. "While the engines are our, might as well paint the engine room....maybe cleanup the wiring a bit.....who knows when the other tank might start leaking......might as well replace the stuffing boxes"

If you are my ex-wifes scumbag husband, I'd strongly recommend a full price offer. Everyone else, you're getting in deeper than warranted on this one.

Good luck

Peter

Greetings,
Thanks Mr. r. I do dislike popyachts.

Mr. GM. I can't add to what advice you've already been given. LOTS to like BUT what deficiencie$ you already know about and what "extra$" a survey will find is ????
Looks to me she was in charter service. That being said, there are many more boats out there for $25K to $30K that might be less of a headache.

You might consider a "gasser" since this will be simply a weekender and not your final boat. OR...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/mainship-34-mk-1-3708923/

The pictures tell a fine tale of pride in ownership, very clean and looks to be consistently upgraded.

Almost no electronics in evidence, not really a bad thing. Guess it might indicate the boat never went far offshore.

So, lots of good things to say about the boat but I really can't budge much on my value estimate. Very low value. Like for sure less than $10,000, probably more like less than $5,000.

pete

I remember seeing the Coho's when they were new. There are still several extremely nice examples around here. Last year one of those boats old for around $12,000. Under 1500 hours on the original CC gas engines. The boat was in very nice condition and fresh water. The boat you are looking at is so heavily modified I hardly recognize it as a Coho. I would search the CC forums and Craigslist in the Great Lakes and see if one comes up. The boat you are looking at around here would not sell as there are too many other nice examples for far less money that have working generators and do not need tankage. My 2 cents.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/d/harrison-township-chris-craft/7295847817.html

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/d/belmont-chris-craft-corinthian-380/7298245343.html

These are not Coho's, but you can see some examples from around here. In another month there will be many classic Cris Crafts for sale in my area. Factor in shipping, or have a nice summer trip to your home port.

That boat has twin Chevy gas engines, likely 350's. Nearly zero value with a leaking tank as many have stated.

That boat has twin Chevy gas engines, likely 350's. Nearly zero value with a leaking tank as many have stated.

Take a closer look at the ad. Those engines are not the gas Chevy V8s that boat would have originally come with. As best as a few of us can determine, they're GM 6.2 diesels.

Take a closer look at the ad. Those engines are not the gas Chevy V8s that boat would have originally come with. As best as a few of us can determine, they're GM 6.2 diesels.
I see that now, thanks for pointing that out. I avoid anything to do with Popyachts so appreciate the Boats.com link and the pictures show what looks like the 6.2 Chevy diesels, I agree.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom