Strip Teak and Holly Sole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

db2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wiggle Room
Vessel Make
Spendrift 58
A PO installed carpet over the teak and holly sole in the galley area. This may have actually been done at the factory! Anyway, there is staple damage that I have been inable to improve with spot treatment. I need to strip the floor and carefully mix filler colors. I know the floor is just a thin laminate over ply. I could try a heat gun/scraper, chemicals or sanding. Has anybody had experience successfully striping a teak and holly sole?

There have been several threads recently about this. A search will find them. In my opinion the best way is chemical stripper with a sharp scraper then sand. I do several of these plywood soles per year. Please feel free to PM me for a better explaination.

Rob

Heat gun and scraper. If using a triangle shaped scraper, round the corners to prevent gouging the veneer. Be careful not to scorch the veneer, keep the heat gun moving. Sand by hand with 220 and a sanding block, avoid risk of burning thru the veneer with an orbital sander.

Don't worry about or try to eliminate the staple damage. By the time you get done sanding and varnishing they will mostly go away. Beyond that there is nothing that can be done. You may think they are very noticeable and ruin the look of the floor but others will not even see them.

pete

Have to agree with Pete. Most of the staple holes will become less noticable with sanding and coating. Sometimes filling the holes can make them stand out more. Try filling a few before coating and compare the look. It is no problem to fill the rest if you are so inclined after one or two coats.

Tip, if you are filling hoes do it before the final sanding. If done after final sanding the filler can leave a halo around the filled spot. I would also recomend going no finer than 150# before the first coat. You do not want to burnish the wood.

Using stripper eliminates any chance of burning the wood. Use a fan to keep the air moving. Attached is a photo of what I would recomend for a scraper. One homemade the other store bought. You are less likely to gouge the sole with a 1" scraper kept sharp with a file than with a wider scraper.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 49
There have been several threads recently about this. A search will find them. In my opinion the best way is chemical stripper with a sharp scraper then sand. I do several of these plywood soles per year. Please feel free to PM me for a better explaination.

Rob

I think we need to start a new pined topic of just woodworking, be it rot, refinish or rebuilding! I know I have learned a fair amount here, but it took a bit to find all the old post.

Rob - your post caught my eye and then I noticed the name Datenight. Hoping you guys are enjoying your (relatively) new NP - also called Datenight? We still regret not being able to swing your 39 several years ago. Left CT for the Eastern Shore of MD and have a 34' Mariner Europa. Happy cruising!
Jim R.

Hi Jim,

We have a new Datenight on the way. There have been several bumps in the road but we should have our new North Pacific 45 by the first week in May. There may be a problem with the virus but we will go under that bridge when we get to it. Supposed to have an answer Monday 17 February.

We plan to head south in the fall Hope we can meet up.

Rob

so are you w/o a boat right now?

We sold Datenight in June of 2018. Diane did not want to be without a boat for the summer so I found a deal on Craigslist. A 28 foot Trojan for $4000. We named it Cheap Date and had a great season. Sold it in September for $4000!

A fire in China delayed the delivery of our 45. Then a problem with the build sheet meant we would not get our boat until spring of 2020. Trevor the owner of North Pacific chartered boat for us out of LaConner for the month of July 2019. That was the trip of a lifetime.

Before we left Diane said we still needed a boat for the rest of the season. Back to Craigslist! For $2700. We were on the water in Stood Up, a 26 foot Crampion. Sold that in September For $2700. Looking forward to our NP 45. Trevor has been great to work with, completely honest and forthcoming.

It's been a journey but a good ending is in sight.

Rob

We sold Datenight in June of 2018. Diane did not want to be without a boat for the summer so I found a deal on Craigslist. A 28 foot Trojan for $4000. We named it Cheap Date and had a great season. Sold it in September for $4000!

A fire in China delayed the delivery of our 45. Then a problem with the build sheet meant we would not get our boat until spring of 2020. Trevor the owner of North Pacific chartered boat for us out of LaConner for the month of July 2019. That was the trip of a lifetime.

Before we left Diane said we still needed a boat for the rest of the season. Back to Craigslist! For $2700. We were on the water in Stood Up, a 26 foot Crampion. Sold that in September For $2700. Looking forward to our NP 45. Trevor has been great to work with, completely honest and forthcoming.

It's been a journey but a good ending is in sight.

Rob
Your good at buying and selling boats!

Back
Top Bottom