Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #101

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Really bad manners.

"Do you mind if we take a photo by your boat" would have got the OK from us.

One solution is to have a small sign made and hang it from the rail nearest the entry point by the dock - "warning, rails electrified when owners not on board."
LOL! This reminds me of when I towed my Pantera on a trailer from Tx to Wa at about the time that Back to the Future was in the theaters. I was very concerned that it might get tampered with while parking overnight at roadside motels along the 3,500 route.

I fashioned a warning sign that I can't remember exactly but along the lines of: Warning Electric Shock Hazard!!! Fluxgate capacitors are charged.
Please do not touch any metal part of vehicle.

Either I was overly paranoid, or it worked very well! The car and I arrived unmolested in Wa after a 3.5 day drive.

AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #102

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Do what Joshua Slocum did when anchored in "unusual" places, spread tacks on the deck...
Tried that in Sicily in a very sketchy harbor (and I don't think Joshua actually did!) they leave dozens of rust marks after only one night. ~A

AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #103
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
I was never surprised, but always upset when I would return to my bike in a parking lot to find a family onboard taking kid pics. My concern has always been, as BandB said, about teaching respect; particularly when dad sits on the bike with junior between his legs, little feet thumping the tank.....
And ready to sue you in a heartbeat if the bike falls over and crushes the kid.
The traditional "Permission to come Aboard?" says it all. No permission, no boarding. Trouble is, non boating people don`t know about that.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #104
Guru

City: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
Tried that in Sicily in a very sketchy harbor (and I don't think Joshua actually did!) they leave dozens of rust marks after only one night. ~A

That's because you didn't use BOAT TACKS, designed for maritime use! Available from West Marine for the low LOW price of $34.99 for a 12 pak . . . plus $16.99 shipping and handling!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #105
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
This happened in Canada. We don`t carry guns here LOL
Liz
I missed your original post and catching up.
In your case the sign might read...
Security provided by guard dogs!
Lost track - how have your adventures been going other than the boarding?
I think I would have confronted them in front of the kids. That seems to make an impression when mom & dad get chewed out for misbehaving?
Maybe even take a photo of them when I return and tell them it was to file a police report!
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #106
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
It is very much a cultural thing.

Most posters think it is rude and disrespectful. Not everyone does. Some think the owner is rude and disrespectful when they get upset about it.

Some cultures take a much more sharing approach. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #107
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
It is very much a cultural thing.

Most posters think it is rude and disrespectful. Not everyone does. Some think the owner is rude and disrespectful when they get upset about it.

Some cultures take a much more sharing approach. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
and if I went into their houses, they will be respectful to me? I doubt that very much.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #108
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
and if I went into their houses, they will be respectful to me? I doubt that very much.
Well actually, that pretty much was/is the custom in Ireland. Brief knock on the door and a greeting and step in to chat.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #109

City: Fort Lauderdale
When I was young we lived aboard in a marina in Coconut Grove, Florida. To date myself, this was in the 1960's. One day a couple walked down the dock, stpped to look at our boat and then stepped aboard. My parents were shocked but somehow held their composure and let them look around. During the conversation they somehow got the strangers name and address. The next weekend my parents went to that address, walked in and looked around the stranger's house with plenty of "oh, isn't that cute" comments on the decor. I think those people might have learned something and it was a good cocktail story for my parents for years afterwards. Of course these days there would be gunfire...
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #110
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Well actually, that pretty much was/is the custom in Ireland. Brief knock on the door and a greeting and step in to chat.
and in the absence of a knock?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #111
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
and in the absence of a knock?
The kettle wouldn't have been on as quick.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #112
FF
Guru

Folks that do not know better can easily be scared off with noise.

There are door mats that will trip a relay which could turn on deck lights or simply blow a horn. Modern auto alarm relays have adjustable time periods , so it will only blow for the time you set , ONE min is a long time.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #113

City: Savannah
Not normal at all. I had a group of teenagers board my 36 footer at 3am. They were Drunk and not thinking clearly. I told them to get off my boat. They thought this was a discussion and started to say they were just looking around.... I told them that had a gun in my pocket. I told them that once I pulled my weapon the shooting started and the talking stopped. The quickly left and apologized once we tracked them down from the cameras at the marina the next day.
Nauti Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:52 PM   #114

City: Dawson City, Yukon
Usually does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
I was thinking afterwards of a sign that read: Warning Big Black Dog can't hold his licker
An empty glass is a good hint he is not in a good mood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85B93792-BEEC-47A5-913D-A6A00ECE7C30.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	109068  
Dean Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #115

City: Nanoose Bay
Vessel Name: Little Red
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Trawler
Security Sign

Just post a sign indicating boat is monitored by a covert security camera.
pricelowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 PM   #116
Veteran Member

City: Cape Canaveral
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 1990 52' Californian
Absolutely no one should board a vessel without permission. That is trespassing. I have had it happen to me by vendors and brokers wanting to leave business cards. I responded with stern written warnings every chance I could. Inviting people onboard has inherent risks. If someone is invited onboard you must warn them of all known dangers. Even if you do so it does not preclude a potential claim. In most jurisdictions you cannot use lethal force to protect property. If your life is threatened most jurisdictions allow you to use lethal force. Learn the laws of the jurisdiction you are in. Failing to do so may result in criminal prosecution, a denial of coverage from your insurance company if a liability issue arises and, even if you are covered, protracted litigation that can exhaust you and resources. It is human nature to "fight" when one feels threatened. Train for such encounters. Make a plan and follow it every time someone boards without permission, especially in the wee hours of the morning when you were fast asleep and may be fogged when you respond. This is how the professionals handle it. Flatter them with imitation and you may not get injured stumbling around in the dark or into a dangerous situation on deck. The incident described is becoming more common as people respect boundaries and property rights less than many of us were raised to do. Train for the inevitable. Rest easier. Avoid mistakes. Shooting a drunk wanting a selfie would be a very bad thing to do even if it does not result in prosecution. Suffering a fractured hip, sprained ankle or head injury because of lack of training is regrettable.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 02:21 PM   #117
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Actually, in many parts of the world you would have trouble leaving without joining them for a meal.

The entire planet does not have the same culture as the US.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 02:46 PM   #118
Veteran Member

City: bayonne
unwelcome guests

[I live in nj and that's why I keep a hammer handle on the boat !!QUOTE=Liz;932988]Hello All,

Something happened over the weekend and I'm looking for some feedback as to what I should have done at the time.

I was tied up at the Fenelon Falls lock, which is on the Trent Severn system here in Ontario, for a couple of nights before taking Arrow Naut to the marina for the haulout etc.

It was Thanksgiving here in Canada so there were lots of people around fishing and strolling up and down the locks. On Tuesday morning as I was getting ready to leave, I took my two dogs off the boat for their last "business" trip. As I stepped off the boat, I saw a family standing down the dock watching me. It was a mother, father and 2 teenagers. They definitely saw me get off the boat with my dogs. I walked past them, smiled and we exchanged a good morning.

The dogs and I wandered up the path and steps to the top of the locks so I could also put the last of my garbage in a bin. As I got to the top, I glanced back just in time to see the mother step onto my boat so that her husband could take a photo.

I stood in stunned amazement. I was about 200 feet away and it was windy so I knew they wouldn't hear if I called out. As I stood watching, one of the teenagers looked up and saw me staring. She turned and said something to her parents. The mother looked up at me and then stepped off my boat. Her husband then had his photo taken holding onto the side rail. Then the daughter had her photo taken sitting on the side of my boat. The other daughter respectfully stood beside my boat but didn't touch it. She was the one who saw me staring.

As I have only been boating since June, is this a normal thing? If not, what should I have done? Walk back and politely explain that I wasn't happy with them just getting onto my boat without permission?

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
richardschmidt2759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 02:56 PM   #119
Veteran Member

City: charleston
Vessel Name: Tidal Holm
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1982
It is unfortunate this thread shows this is a common problem. I have had similar issues with my muscle cars when they are parked in public spaces. I have security cameras on my boat, I can view them at any time and have them set up for motion and noise alerts on my phone. There is also two way audio, you can use it to alert anyone that their presence is not welcome or to speak to your pet cat or dog if you wish. Did I mention they are dirt cheap. Wifi or Cell connectivity. Motion activated lights are a plus too

Eddie W is online now   Reply With Quote