Strange noises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was once at a marina and spent an hour or so trying to identify a strange noise. Not the shrimp (which I have heard before) , but more like a muffled alarm sounding every few seconds. This went on for a couple nights. When we left the marina and anchored, the noise was gone. I've heard a similar noise since then but only at marinas.

My conclusion; The floating docks rubbing against the pilings or a noise from another boat carried through the water.

So I'm not totally crazy! I'm guessing it was some kind of marine life. It really sounded like rushing water, but I was not in an area with big tidal flow or current. Plus, the noise would come and go, like the hungry "whatever" would eat awhile then get chased away by a fish maybe, then come back, then get chased away. It went on for a few hours.

Greetings,
Mr. 01. "It went on for a few hours." Well, maybe for a few bottles anyway...

giphy.gif

Or. Maybe you have such a stray current that your boat is a giant hyper electrode and what you ear is the bubbles of your boat disolving but it this case considering the noise you should have already sunk :)

I remembered hearing a story about fish noise in Seattle from a few years ago so I looked it up. I found the link. There is a link in the story of audio of the suspected perpetrator. Read the article and take a listen...

Seattle 'Hum' May Be Due To Midshipman Fish That Produce Sound For Mating (VIDEO, AUDIO) | The Huffington Post
Seems to support the W C Fields reason not to drink water, because "Fish "make love" (not actual word) in it".:)
I have seen a shrimp/prawn feeding on the transom of a moored boat, don`t doubt a number of them could generate noise.Wonder how they cope with the antifoul flavoring?

Shrimp, barnacles and fish. Maybe other things too. Got called a few times to troubleshoot such noises. Talk about red faced owners!!! We all got a laugh out of it.

It was an interesting experience. I was drinking some wine, and I do have some hearing damage from too many power tools, so I was a relieved to hear that others have heard of these "strange noises".

Of course, if you don't find the cause, you can always blame it on "shrimp" like the rest of these guys. It's a secret little lie (a lot like snipe) that allows them to sleep at night while their boats slowly dissolve back into the sea.

Or. Maybe you have such a stray current that your boat is a giant hyper electrode and what you ear is the bubbles of your boat disolving but it this case considering the noise you should have already sunk :)

Exactly, Lou! That's what I'm thinking, too. It very well could be the sound of their shaft log being eaten away by the god of electrons. :eek: :facepalm: :popcorn:

Exactly, Lou! That's what I'm thinking, too. It very well could be the sound of their shaft log being eaten away by the god of electrons. :eek: :facepalm: :popcorn:

If we have no news from him in 24h we can say the diagnostic was right :hide:

I'm still alive!

The evil boat-eating shrimp didn't win this time.

I would suggest you to have a quick check during your next haul, maybe you will see some trace of teeth on your hull :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom