Strange fiber cord throughout the boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docvchulek

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fate's Fortune
Vessel Make
Monk/Vic Franck
I have a 1971 wooden Monk and I see this fiber woven cord throughout. Do you know what it is for? I thought maybe it was some kind a ground wire, but it is not attached anywhere that I can see.

Attachments

• 916FBB72-24C9-4CEF-AA5A-64A863C83C78.jpg
    916FBB72-24C9-4CEF-AA5A-64A863C83C78.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 172
Greetings,
Mr. d. Looks OEM. The fact that the light and dark wires are separated and bundled suggests a 12V source for something. Lights, perhaps? Speakers for stereo? Just a WAG.

I couldn't tell from the photo but are there wires inside?
Could it be a form of wire loom... fiber vs are typical plastic around bundles of wire?

Degaussing coil? Maybe the PO had electromagnetic hypersensitivity? Lol

Ground plane for SSB (Single Side Band)?

Ted

High end speaker cable looked like that in the 70's. On a boat, I'd tend to suspect one of the other already mentioned guesses such as bonding or as part of an SSB installation.

Where is it run? It does not look like woven wires and from your post, you say it looks like fibers... Perhaps it is something to hang something else on, if it is mounted high on the bulkheads or inside hull sides?

My vote is for speaker wire. Twisted strands grouped together into two conductors. Supposed to reduce noise, distortion, magnetic induction, keeps Bill Gates out of your brain, etc or some such thing.

Greetings,
Mr. b. IF you blow up the picture, it appears that the ends of the separated "fibers" are twisted and soldered together. Ergo, wires. Copper wires from what I can see.

Edit: Aw snap, Mr. P. Beat me by one minute. Great minds...and all that.

iu

I was thinking it could be a SSB base as well. I have found the cable all over the boat, mostly running under the salon. Every time I turn around to do some work in the bilge, I find more. Below is a better close-up picture that makes me think it is probably speaker wire.

Attachments

• 3DA4FCC4-C8B5-427D-9F66-8F0E596C30C3.jpg
    3DA4FCC4-C8B5-427D-9F66-8F0E596C30C3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 44
If it's "wire" it could be a ground "flat" wire recommended for for a single side band radio; if it is cord it could be for "pulling" wires or cables through dead spaces on the boat from stem to stern

If it's "wire" it could be a ground "flat" wire recommended for for a single side band radio; if it is cord it could be for "pulling" wires or cables through dead spaces on the boat from stem to stern

Definitely wire and not a pull. It is tacked down flat under the floor joist. Thanks for your views. I am leaning toward SSB but will now for sure when I track down were they lead from.

If you discover that the flat braided wire "was" for a SSB ground it is recommended to use flat copper ribbon instead. Wire used for this purpose problems with the SSB. The flat braid could have been used for general grounding and or bonding but the recommendation would be to use #6 AWG marine grade bonding wire.

It is high-end speaker wire. An interlaced counter braid of positive and negative conductors in the structure.
If you Google "woven speaker wire" you will see several brands and styles.

It is high-end speaker wire. An interlaced counter braid of positive and negative conductors in the structure.
If you Google "woven speaker wire" you will see several brands and styles.

Thanks Greg S. Happy New Year's.

Could it be a resistance type heating coil? Those are usually mounted with ceramic insulators. Cheap ones are mounted with glass or porcelain insulators. This is a WAG.

My other guess is some kind of radio or TV antenna.

Contact this guy who runs a Vlog out of Victoria, he is restoring two Monks. Even if what you have isn't the same model/year etc. he still might be familiar with the cord you are asking about. You could try and send him a message through the forum as he is a member, but I know he isn't very active, but might still be worth a try.

Here is a link to his YouTube channel, you can just ask him through his most recent video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzjS_6kYzuWNznwIfQdqt1w

Wire on Monk

We have a 1974 Monk. That is a ground wire. Ours runs the length of the boat on both sides. Newer boats don't use that type of wire any longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom