Stranded Cruisers-Potential collateral coronavirus deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This really strikes home with me. In December I sailed from Cape Verde to Barbados with my Irish cousin, his wife and a friend. He has been trying since March to find a place to haul his boat for the hurricane season. While that was relativly easy to do getting out of the Caribbean has proved problematic.

His wife made it out in early March. Since then flight after flight has been cancled. Cargo is still arriving but no passengers out. He can't sail to the U.S. or leave the boat and fly here to stay with us because he does not have a visa. He can only get one by showing up in person at an Embassy. Since there are no flights or ferries that is not an option.

He is now sailing to Martinique to pick up an Irish couple then on to Guadeloupe to pick up a French couple. They will sail from Guadeloupe to Kinsale. The French couple has some sail training but no real at sea time.

My cousin is a careful person who plans his trips carefully but I am worried for him. As I type this now I realise I should have contacted my local representitives to try to get an emergency visa. There may not be such a thing as that and they may have been too involved in the crisis to do that but I wish I thought of it before now...

Rob

I hadn’t really thought about people in this circumstance. It is a sad deal for them. It seems like the countries could set up a system to safely reprovision the boats en route. But what do I know?

Back
Top Bottom