Storms a Comin’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Getting a good storm tonight 2-3” and hr w 40-50 mph winds. Will post some pics from the jetty in AM. 12” plus of snow.

Oh hell, I really miss the cold.....Not! 80 here in MX. Heading further south in the morning.
Break out those thermals!

We are a few years away before we can make the move to warmer climates. Wife’s job and family ties keep us up north. I don’t mind the snow but do the cold. Enjoy MX

Imagine how boring it would be without four distinct seasons!

You know it's a good winter storm when you've got an extra layer or two on, you have to lean into the wind to get moving, your eyes narrow to slits, blowing snow stings your cheeks, and you inadvertently let out a low pirate "Arrrrrr" with your teeth clenched and a smile on your face.

Last edited:
Looking at a foot at least in beantown. Sucks! Unless you're a kid

Wifey B: We have four seasons. Right now we're in the dead of winter, it's 77 degrees and going down tonight to a frigid 70 degrees and we have warnings of 45 mph winds. Horribly cold. :eek:

And it's getting worse. Every night for the next week is alarming at below 70 degrees. Even some nights in the 50's and the high on Christmas day is only going to be 75 and the days after only 72 and 73. Definitely winter. :mad:

We are right on the shore so will enjoy watching the storm.

We do get two seasons here in JAX. Kinda like spring which is during fall and spring months elsewhere, and summer. But sometimes spring can be awfully short!

Anyhow, we are heading to eight thousand feet and snow on Saturday for Christmas. Where right now it is 14 degrees and the highs while we are there will be around freezing and the lows between 10 and 15.

But it will be fun fun fun seeing the children!

Lollygag, you must be nearby.

We're in gansett for the winter. This is our view out the back door. Gusts over 40, forecast to go higher. I'm sure glad the boat is hauled out for this!

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_200001039.jpg
    IMG_20201216_200001039.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 36
Gabe we are in Pawtuxet village a couple of houses up from the cove. 8-10” of heavy wet this AM w some hearty gusts last night

It is currently 74F, sun's coming up. Jan and Feb will be colder. Sometimes it is so cold, I have to put on long pants and when it is really cold, socks and sweater.

Per the folks up north, I do not envy you. Been there, done that. Many winters in Mich, a winter way north in Alberta. March and April I will spend in Atlanta, for paying taxes.

Yuck. It's just sleet this morning here. The biggest problem is the power is out and we have no way to make coffee! ( Or not that we can think of without the brain power imbued by coffee)

Lollygag, we'll have to get together and talk mainships some day.

Yuck. It's just sleet this morning here. The biggest problem is the power is out and we have no way to make coffee! ( Or not that we can think of without the brain power imbued by coffee)

Go on up to the hardware store and buy a single burner propane store and a metal coffee pot.
Alternatively, heat the water on the burner and pour it over the coffee grounds.
and the last option, start your emergency generator to power a single burner electric stove.

For now, stay warm

keep that mess up there until I get back in the water climbing this ladder in sleet or freezing rain will suck.

Gabe, you are welcome to come up we got plenty of coffee and heat. Of course being 2020 my snow blower died 1/2 way through the driveway. Just took a stroll to the cove, wind is plowing pretty good and the seafoam is building up. taking a longer one later.

Attachments

• cove 12-17.jpg
    cove 12-17.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 21
Yuck. It's just sleet this morning here. The biggest problem is the power is out and we have no way to make coffee! ( Or not that we can think of without the brain power imbued by coffee)...

We've had the power go out for days after snowstorms here, but have one of these little fellers: https://www.nectre.com/en-au/nectre-bakers-oven#m-au-p-17 so had a warm house, coffee/hot chocolate/tea whenever we wanted, cookies, roasted veggies, stir fries, etc :thumb: :thumb:

I keep a 30 yr old mini propane backpacking stove just in case. It has come in handy a few times

Nothing like being on a boat when the marina and condos lose power. Start the generator, make a pot of coffee, turn on the deck lights, heater, TV and making breakfast of lots of sausage and eggs, blow the smell outside via the range hood.
LOL

The power is back!

The linemen/women must have dropped their repair, we found this while walking the pup this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_113444424.jpg
    IMG_20201217_113444424.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
We were seriously talking about how we'd rather be on the boat with our gas stove and inverter, even though we're hauled out - we'd have coffee!!

Imagine how boring it would be without four distinct seasons!

You know it's a good winter storm when you've got an extra layer or two on, you have to lean into the wind to get moving, your eyes narrow to slits, blowing snow stings your cheeks, and you inadvertently let out a low pirate "Arrrrrr" with your teeth clenched and a smile on your face.

It's not a proper winter until it's a clear blue sky, you choke on the first breath you take when you step outside, and the snow squeaks under you boots. Now that's winter.

And I totally agree about the 4 seasons.

We adopted a dog from down south last year, he is not enjoying the weather. The bitter wind off the water is a bit much.

We adopted a dog from down south last year, he is not enjoying the weather. The bitter wind off the water is a bit much.

Get him a doggie coat and if he can tolerate them doggie boots.
He will like the coat.

It's not a proper winter until it's a clear blue sky, you choke on the first breath you take when you step outside, and the snow squeaks under you boots. Now that's winter.

And I totally agree about the 4 seasons.

It rarely gets to -20C here, but my personal thermometer is:

1) eyelashes start to freeze,

2) then moustache starts to freeze,

3) then, when the hair in your nose starts to freeze when you inhale, it's cold!

We have coat(s), no go on the booties. Told my wife to teach him to use a litter box. He is pretty much a weenie, does not like it if it is wet either.

It’s not cold till F equals C

Then it’s cold.

Here in Alaska it gets cold. I paid my dues as a young man up microwave towers at -50F

The coldest I have ever seen was -73. That was too cold for planes to fly.

Last edited:
Currently it is 4 days before winter solstice. Here in Canada our typical winter has started. Plus 8 at noon, that is 46 USD (US degrees). Here is a photo from this morning while I was playing at farming. Cold enough that long sleeves had to be supplemented.20201217_114849.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom