Storms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Pretty good winds here on the gulf coast! 33 kts due to a low moving through.
Came home and doubled springs on both sides. Winds expected to shift from E to ESE and then S. next 7 hours. Tomorrow calls for W at 17 kts. Crazy. Hope I can keep her off dock. High tide to boot.

image-3059524665.jpg

Crazy winds. I had a stern spring separate and it pushed my boat up against a pylon. Some damage. I need it to quit lightening so I can inspect lines and reset.

A Benetau Sailboat has his Jib loose. That's gonna cost some money. Looks torn.

Blue Heron, how have your floating docks held up, especially during the high tide?

A Benetau Sailboat has his Jib loose. That's gonna cost some money. Looks torn.

Ouch! Those jibs will do that in gusty winds. I always tried to keep mine with a maypole wrap if I was going to be away from the boat/

image-721991008.jpg

Rub rail teak will need to be replaced.
Small fiber glass ding.
Gonna be a couple of boat units.

Ouch! What were you rubbing on?
At first I thought: 33 knot winds?- What are you worried about? but now I see.

Thats got hurt, here at the The Wharf in Orange Beach it wasn't that bad 2 inches of rain and some wind but I feel for you guys it looked like the heavy weather cell missed us and got you.

Yep. I was able to double lines but a stern line snapped. (Made in China West Marine crap!!).
Hopefully insurance will cover.

That squall line is about 50 miles West of me right now, and headed this way. Thanks a lot for sending it over here! :)

We had an earlier discussion about floating docks, just wondering do you think floating docks would have made a difference. Did the line break because it was chafed between the boat and the piling or did the line break and because it broke you sustained the damage?

We had an earlier discussion about floating docks, just wondering do you think floating docks would have made a difference. Did the line break because it was chafed between the boat and the piling or did the line break and because it broke you sustained the damage?

Tim, I think the floating docks are WAY better than fixed docks. If my boat was on a floating dock I'm reasonably sure she would have held fine with bumpers / fenders and doubled lines.

I know the winds were gusty and that gust wasn't a steady strain and I think that could have has the biggest effect on my situation. I don't know why the line separated. It was rated for my boat. It separated and I can't see if it was chaffed or not.

The line snapping allowed the stern to swing into the pylon. The springs couldn't hold it once it got moving.

I think it's also contributing factor that the marina is directly exposed to gulf winds with little lee. We are on the ICW with only Johnson's Beach, a barrier island to our south about 3/4 mile. So we get the tide and winds.

My insurance company took my info. Ill get her repaired and back in the water in no time.

I get 50 knt winds regularly up here. 80 knt gusts are common.

The boat looks like a spider web.

Once tied off you have to push and pull on the boat every way she will go to make sure she is static on her lines. (Not touching the dock or fenders anywhwere)

No frayed lines and chafe gear every where.

SD

Glad to hear Blue Heron will be up and running without much down time.

You guys up there get all the weather and hurricanes. Heck I get nervous with forecast 30 kt gusts. :ermm:

You guys up there get all the weather and hurricanes. Heck I get nervous with forecast 30 kt gusts. :ermm:

Yeah we do get our share, and then some. Our weather systems usually develop around Texas and then come galumphing over from (roughly) West to East, although usually with a bit of movement toward the Northeast. You guys down on the Peninsula don't get that, as a general rule. But we have lots of other advantages (cannot think of any right now, but I feel that there must surely be some!).

Glad to hear Blue Heron will be up and running without much down time.

Thanks amigo. Goes with life. Nothing money won't fix. It does hurt the heart to see an ole girl with a black eye though.

Salt life. What are you gonna do? :)

Last edited:
Yep. I was able to double lines but a stern line snapped. (Made in China West Marine crap!!).
Hopefully insurance will cover.

Because this was a named winter storm (Borius) be prepared for a higher deductible on your insurance claim, thats why I am not a supporter of all these new storms being named when before they were not named and insurance was not affected.

Last edited:
Regarding "named" storms.. I agree but my policy states specifically Hurricane or Tropical storm. I'm not on the hook for the Yeti..

Got a son on a tug and barge rig headed for Key West and then up to NY who's last position three days ago was south of and a bit west of Houma, LA. A bit worried here as no position or contact since then, although he usually is out of contact til he gets around Key West.

My insurance company took my info. Ill get her repaired and back in the water in no time.

Damn brother! I'm sorry to see the damage to your boat, but happy that the insurance is going to do you right:thumb:

Got a son on a tug and barge rig headed for Key West and then up to NY who's last position three days ago was south of and a bit west of Houma, LA. A bit worried here as no position or contact since then, although he usually is out of contact til he gets around Key West.

Thoughts and prayers for your son's safety and that of his crew.

OD

"a stern line snapped. (Made in China West Marine crap!!). Hopefully insurance will cover."
What size was the line, because where about to go buy some new lines for our boat and were looking at 3/4 WM brand, but might rethink that. Sorry about the damage. :(

Definitely a wild night in the ol' marina tonight! KJ

Issued by The National Weather Service
Wilmington, NC
Tue, Nov 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EST

... STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL MOVE ACROSS HORRY... BRUNSWICK... PENDER... BLADEN AND COLUMBUS COUNTIES THROUGH 1145 PM EST...
AT 1057 PM EST... DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED STRONG THUNDERSTORMS FROM EAST ARCADIA... TO GORGETOWN... ... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

HAZARDS INCLUDE... GUSTY WINDS OF 40 TO 50 MPH.

HEAVY RAINFALL AND MINOR FLOODING.
THIS STORM WILL PRODUCE HEAVY RAINFALL

A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 100 AM EST WEDNESDAY MORNING FOR SOUTHEAST NORTH CAROLINA AND NORTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA.

Recorded gusts from 35-50 since 0100 here in Avalon, NJ. But we have been having these nearly every week for the last 2 month's worth of fronts and one 5 day Nor'easterly flow. Definitely a different climate than last November here.

Front mooring lines 1/2 inch 3 strand to pilings, stern and spring lines same and tied to floaters.

No issues with wind...more inconvenienced by the wave action, tide shifted around 0300 and wind against current started to really rock & jar the boat tugging on the short lines to the floaters. Plus the rubbing noises (line in hawse and fender) really increased.

Last edited:
Blue Heron and Takes Two--We're at Lulu's Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores and concur with your views on floating docks. Which Marina in Pensacola are you at Blue Heron?

Tim, I think the floating docks are WAY better than fixed docks. If my boat was on a floating dock I'm reasonably sure she would have held fine with bumpers / fenders and doubled lines.

I know the winds were gusty and that gust wasn't a steady strain and I think that could have has the biggest effect on my situation. I don't know why the line separated. It was rated for my boat. It separated and I can't see if it was chaffed or not.

The line snapping allowed the stern to swing into the pylon. The springs couldn't hold it once it got moving.

I agree BH, floating docks are the way to go. If your stern line was a bit tight, the big tide may have pulled a lot of tension, with the gusting wind push it over its limit.
I wouldn't be too concerned about 50 knot winds in my situation; but with
a fixed dock, high tide, big enclosed flybridge and unprotected marina, you'd have to watch the weather when your off the boat almost as much as when cruising.

I hope you're able to fix up your battle scars without too much fuss.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom