Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Yep. I was able to double lines but a stern line snapped. (Made in China West Marine crap!!).
Hopefully insurance will cover.
Because this was a named winter storm (Borius) be prepared for a higher deductible on your insurance claim, thats why I am not a supporter of all these new storms being named when before they were not named and insurance was not affected.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Pensacola
Regarding "named" storms.. I agree but my policy states specifically Hurricane or Tropical storm. I'm not on the hook for the Yeti..
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Got a son on a tug and barge rig headed for Key West and then up to NY who's last position three days ago was south of and a bit west of Houma, LA. A bit worried here as no position or contact since then, although he usually is out of contact til he gets around Key West.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
My insurance company took my info. Ill get her repaired and back in the water in no time.
Damn brother! I'm sorry to see the damage to your boat, but happy that the insurance is going to do you right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Got a son on a tug and barge rig headed for Key West and then up to NY who's last position three days ago was south of and a bit west of Houma, LA. A bit worried here as no position or contact since then, although he usually is out of contact til he gets around Key West.
Thoughts and prayers for your son's safety and that of his crew.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
"a stern line snapped. (Made in China West Marine crap!!). Hopefully insurance will cover."
What size was the line, because where about to go buy some new lines for our boat and were looking at 3/4 WM brand, but might rethink that. Sorry about the damage.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
Guru

5/8.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Definitely a wild night in the ol' marina tonight! KJ

Issued by The National Weather Service
Wilmington, NC
Tue, Nov 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EST

... STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL MOVE ACROSS HORRY... BRUNSWICK... PENDER... BLADEN AND COLUMBUS COUNTIES THROUGH 1145 PM EST...
AT 1057 PM EST... DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED STRONG THUNDERSTORMS FROM EAST ARCADIA... TO GORGETOWN... ... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

HAZARDS INCLUDE... GUSTY WINDS OF 40 TO 50 MPH.

HEAVY RAINFALL AND MINOR FLOODING.
THIS STORM WILL PRODUCE HEAVY RAINFALL

A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 100 AM EST WEDNESDAY MORNING FOR SOUTHEAST NORTH CAROLINA AND NORTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA.
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Recorded gusts from 35-50 since 0100 here in Avalon, NJ. But we have been having these nearly every week for the last 2 month's worth of fronts and one 5 day Nor'easterly flow. Definitely a different climate than last November here.

Front mooring lines 1/2 inch 3 strand to pilings, stern and spring lines same and tied to floaters.

No issues with wind...more inconvenienced by the wave action, tide shifted around 0300 and wind against current started to really rock & jar the boat tugging on the short lines to the floaters. Plus the rubbing noises (line in hawse and fender) really increased.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #29

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
Blue Heron and Takes Two--We're at Lulu's Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores and concur with your views on floating docks. Which Marina in Pensacola are you at Blue Heron?
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Tim, I think the floating docks are WAY better than fixed docks. If my boat was on a floating dock I'm reasonably sure she would have held fine with bumpers / fenders and doubled lines.

I know the winds were gusty and that gust wasn't a steady strain and I think that could have has the biggest effect on my situation. I don't know why the line separated. It was rated for my boat. It separated and I can't see if it was chaffed or not.

The line snapping allowed the stern to swing into the pylon. The springs couldn't hold it once it got moving.
I agree BH, floating docks are the way to go. If your stern line was a bit tight, the big tide may have pulled a lot of tension, with the gusting wind push it over its limit.
I wouldn't be too concerned about 50 knot winds in my situation; but with
a fixed dock, high tide, big enclosed flybridge and unprotected marina, you'd have to watch the weather when your off the boat almost as much as when cruising.

I hope you're able to fix up your battle scars without too much fuss.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
OK, guess I must be the only person in the world who doesn't prefer floating docks. Oh well. :-)
Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #32
Guru

In places like behind Hatteras and the Indian River of Florida where there's no tide to speak of (1-2 feet)...fixed docks are fine...in bigger tidal places like Savannah (8ft), Maine (8+) and Alaska (20+)...floaters sure make life simpler especially cruising to different places every night.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
Blue Heron and Takes Two--We're at Lulu's Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores and concur with your views on floating docks. Which Marina in Pensacola are you at Blue Heron?
I'm at Lost Key. We are the last marina before the Pensacola Pass and are exposed to the southerlies and east winds.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post

I agree BH, floating docks are the way to go. If your stern line was a bit tight, the big tide may have pulled a lot of tension, with the gusting wind push it over its limit.
I wouldn't be too concerned about 50 knot winds in my situation; but with
a fixed dock, high tide, big enclosed flybridge and unprotected marina, you'd have to watch the weather when your off the boat almost as much as when cruising.

I hope you're able to fix up your battle scars without too much fuss.
Auscan, thanks. Yep all the things you pointed out make for a requirement to monitor the weather at all times.

Appreciate the sentiment.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #35
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
I'm at Lost Key. We are the last marina before the Pensacola Pass and are exposed to the southerlies and east winds.
Yep, Big Lagoon is pretty wide open, but there are some good anchorages nearby. Beautiful water awaits just offshore. Is Triggers restaurant still there. Loved their bisque. Good seafood area. Did you ever consider Orange Beach?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

Yep, Big Lagoon is pretty wide open, but there are some good anchorages nearby. Beautiful water awaits just offshore. Is Triggers restaurant still there. Loved their bisque. Good seafood area. Did you ever consider Orange Beach?
Triggers is indeed still there.
Orange Beach is great also. We like the fact our marina is right outside of our Condo. Hard to find a setup like that.
Even with the risks.

Any one have a fiberglass repair that resulted in a claim on insurance? I think I need to rebed the stainless on that side and look at some stress cracks. I doubt the paint will match so what will that do in regards to new paint? Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Triggers is indeed still there.
Orange Beach is great also. We like the fact our marina is right outside of our Condo. Hard to find a setup like that.
Even with the risks.

Any one have a fiberglass repair that resulted in a claim on insurance? I think I need to rebed the stainless on that side and look at some stress cracks. I doubt the paint will match so what will that do in regards to new paint? Thoughts?
it's definitely paint and not gel? know what kind of paint?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #38
Guru

Psneeld, it is gel coat I think. Appears original.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #39
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Ouch Blue Heron... I hope your repair process goes well/quickly.

Here, near the Big Bend where Florida turns and heads south on the Panhandle, the winds have been kicking. I went to bunk with my batts at 12.3 and by morning the Air-Breeze had brought them up to 12.9.

Stinking cold too. I'd tried to duck out of the Thanksgiving Day celebration at the marina across from where I'm anchored (predicted high of 51 with rains didn't sound like great dinghy weather) but have accepted an offer for a go-fast dink ride in and back tomorrow. Today I'm doing the prep work for deviled eggs. The ladies will appreciate how glad I am that they almost all peeled nicely.

On the VHF this morning I offered to bring in an electric heater (not much use out here) but no one needed/wanted the boost so I'm guessing the boats at the dock are all snug and warm. Good for them. Me? I'm testing my propane catalytic heater -- perfection indeed, and the electric (12-volt, 35 watt) electric blanket is amazing. There's nothing like getting into a warm bunk. Even Skipper likes it:

Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Ouch Blue Heron... I hope your repair process goes well/quickly.

Here, near the Big Bend where Florida turns and heads south on the Panhandle, the winds have been kicking. I went to bunk with my batts at 12.3 and by morning the Air-Breeze had brought them up to 12.9.

Stinking cold too. I'd tried to duck out of the Thanksgiving Day celebration at the marina across from where I'm anchored (predicted high of 51 with rains didn't sound like great dinghy weather) but have accepted an offer for a go-fast dink ride in and back tomorrow. Today I'm doing the prep work for deviled eggs. The ladies will appreciate how glad I am that they almost all peeled nicely.

On the VHF this morning I offered to bring in an electric heater (not much use out here) but no one needed/wanted the boost so I'm guessing the boats at the dock are all snug and warm. Good for them. Me? I'm testing my propane catalytic heater -- perfection indeed, and the electric (12-volt, 35 watt) electric blanket is amazing. There's nothing like getting into a warm bunk. Even Skipper likes it:
Thank you Janice. Stay warm and I hope your anchor stays nice and set.