Storm Windows, Live Aboards and Condensation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
As most of you know, I didn't need the storm windows I put up during the Atlantic Passage, other than peace of mind.

But being my lazy self, I have yet to take them off.

They are 1/2" Lexan and other than where some idiot:facepalm: got water between the glass and the Lexan on one of them, they are pretty much invisible.

Said idiot will at some point this winter, remove, dry and reinstall.

But the point of this post is that i have discovered that they do an absolute wonderful job of insulating the window so that no condensation forms.

And where they did not totally cover the entire window, lots of condensation does form there,:eek: but I am pleased that it is such a small area on two windows only.

Bottom line is that they do a wonderful job of insulation and now I think I will keep them up year round.

Boat Folks in cold climes long ago discovered the value of insulating glass .

The simple way is stick on storm window film from a box store.

Doubble stick tape is placed outboard of any glass or metal frame, the clear plastic stuck on and shrunk to flat with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Works best with inner and outer layers, and is usually discarded after the Spring Thaw.

Yep, we installed the window film on the inside of our windows for the winter. MUCH less condensation and much warmer. We first learned about the stuff when I was in grad school and we were renting a cheap, basement appartment with a really drafty bathroom window. Works great on the boat and will now be a regular part of our winterization process (although systems are now winterized, we still spend at least one night a week on the boat at the marina to get out of the city).

Ditto. We use the heat shrinking plastic on the inside of our main saloon windows (and a few in the pilothouse, too). Works great on the condensation issue, and keeps the heat in better as well!

However, we'd like to eventually upgrade to dual-pane windows. Not a cheap proposition, but having year round insulation - and not having to do the plastic every winter - sounds good to us.

we'd like to eventually upgrade to dual-pane windows.

Unless they are custom built most dual pane windows only stop outside noise.

To work as insulation they must have the air evacuated and replaced .

The cheap plastic is a PIA but at 1/1000 the cost , ,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom