Storm Shutters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve1.0

Vessel Name
Kumatage
Vessel Make
Grnd Bnks 46 cl
With hurricane season fast approaching, I was wondering if anyone has fashioned window protection for their Grand Banks.
When I look at the boat with a heavy weather eye, all I see is giant targets painted on the glass.:eek:
I haven't decided weather I'm gonna haul out for the peak of the season, but even sitting on the hard, the threat remains.
Ahh, life in hurricane alley!

Pictures, details?!

Does no one have window protection?
I hauled Kumatage for hurricane season this year, but my issue is still unresolved.

Perhaps if this thread were moved to the general discussion. Am I able to do that or does that require a moderator. If so, would you please? (Thanks)

Look up trawler storm windows not storm shutters, storm shutters are made for homes and are not able to look through them. Storm windows are made to be looked through. Never seen them on a GB but don’t know why they wouldn’t work on one.

When you see the pictures of the boats damaged by hurricane Ian none of them seem to have broken windows. I think that that would be fairly low on the list of things to do to increase hurricane resistance, behind reinforcing cleats, , a robust bilge pumping system including battery power, reducing canvas and increased ground tackle.

I think if conditions are so bad that storm shutters are needed you have already lost the battle and your boat is going to end up in a bowl of boat soup on the rocks.

At work I’ve seen these windows flexing over an inch in and out in 147mph winds and not break so unless I was worried about things hitting the windows or green water over the bow I’d probobly be more worried about other things over windows breaking just my2 cents though. On my personal boat Ive also got 1/2” tempered safty glass windows on my boat so can understand wanting security on the same hand though but hurricane was not the thoughts when bought. More like worried about green water over the bow and sides on a sub 45 foot boat.

Attachments

• 3888569A-039C-4EE6-8F1E-3D29921BDDCE.jpg
    3888569A-039C-4EE6-8F1E-3D29921BDDCE.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 20
Just my opinion of course, but if your boat is being hit by a hurricane, I don't think windows breaking is a priority. And if they do break, you probably have bigger issues to deal with.

PO of our boat took the time to fabricate and install polycarbonate storm panels for every window on the boat. We got lots of rain and winds around 65mph from Ian, and I was glad to have them. No damage of course but I'd probably not have been damaged anyway - this time. All I lost was the time it took to put them up, which was not much.
The reason homes explode during hurricanes is that the winds pierce the envelope of the house and then the pressure differentials lift the roof, etc. The same laws of physics apply to boats. Yeah maybe "if I need the panels it's already too late" as some have said, but I'd rather have the protection than not in a bad blow. Kinda like saying "if you need to double up dock lines it's too late..."
At the very least the panels deflected lots of water away from the window seals and reduced flex. My $0.02...

Attachments

• panels.jpg
    panels.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 19
  • aftdoor.jpg
    aftdoor.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Markpj, that just the thing I'm looking for. How are they secured in place? (close up photo?)

As for too late to worry about the windows, I've decided to have my boat hauled for the peak of hurricane season. I'm getting too old (read lazy) to do the tie it up tango. Been there too many times
. It's 25mi inland up the St Lucie river, past a lock. It is strapped down and the chances of it blowing over are not good. Surge and "boat soup" are not an issue. Winds over 125mph are. Stuff (branches, bits off other boats, small animals) get blown around. A window blowing out will trash the interior of an otherwise secure vessel.
Granted nothing is for sure in these situations, especially in 150+ winds, but if a simple storm window cover can prevent a loss, its a win.

As to the windows not being blown out, look again. I'd bet its 50/50

P.S. thanks Comodave for moving the thread

Attachments

• 20221002_102323.jpg
    20221002_102323.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
If the storm covers are only for use when the boat is tied down for a hurricane or similar, they don't need to be see-through like ones you'd use underway in rough weather. They can be as simple as pieces of plywood cut to the size/shape of the windows.

As far as attachment, you can either add studs to the window frames (with matching holes and nuts for the covers) or add threaded holes (watertight) to the frames to avoid having studs sticking out when the covers aren't installed.

Back
Top Bottom