Storm Prep - Shout Out To PO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpj23

Vessel Name
Black Horse
Vessel Make
Med Yachts 62
Most of us spend a fair amount of keystrokes lamenting the stupid / crazy / unsafe / weird things done to our boats by previous owners. I too am guilty as charged....
For the past few months I've been mentally gripin' about the space taken up beneath the aft deck hardtop by all of those storm panels that I'm sure I'll never use and geez I could maybe fit a stand up paddleboard in that space....
Fast forward to yesterday when I decided it's time to see what we've got as the storm looks to have us in its bullseye. It turns out that one of the POs had his or her stuff in one sock...
There is a honeycomb polycarbonate (I think) panel for each window on the boat. The smart part of all this lies in how the attachments were done. Each window has 4 threaded inserts that were apparently done by drilling the frame and gluing the insert in place. Then, they used a nylon bung that screws in to keep the threads clear for all the days that are not hurricane days. Lastly, they included threaded dowel pins that make installing the panel a snap. All in a nice plastic tray that has all the screws, pins and fender washers needed.
So for each panel, just remove the nylon thread protectors, put a dowel pin in one corner, hang the panel from the pin and screw in the other 3 fasteners. Remove the dowel pin and install the last fastener. Works like a champ :thumb:
Not real attractive, but safe... same way the Admiral describes me sometimes :D
Shout out to the PO who did the work on this one. Much appreciated! I'd never use that stand-up board anyway....

Attachments

• panels.jpg
    panels.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 40
  • pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 37
  • aftdoor.jpg
    aftdoor.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 41
Yep, it’s kinda nice when you’re fortunate enough to be able to buy a boat from a knowledgeable PO (hello Scott [emoji6]).
When we bought ours, there were things done that made me scratch my head and say to myself “I’m going to change that!” Well , it didn’t take me long to figure out that if it was on here, it’s on here for a good reason. Our PO has made a career on boats so it’s nice to buy a boat where someone else has already figured out & done ,correctly, the bulk of things that needed doing.
Our particular PO is an opinionated SOB who’ll tell you what he thinks at the drop of a hat ,but that’s not necessarily a bad trait. The sad thing is, he reminds me of me…as verified by my wife. I pity her.

Shawn, Thanks! Sound like a very well done set-up. Any photos of the threaded inserts? That's my big question, how to have them without making/having a stud always there, and fear of drilling more holes in my boat. :-0

At least they'll be above the water line.

No threaded inserts on that old Albin 40. Did enough time at sea I knew I didn't ever want to be there if I needed storm shutters and never imagined myself in Florida during hurricane season.

Drilling holes are the least of ones worry as they are so easy to repair on a glass boat. Even below the waterline.

Shawn is way too nice for his comments on me...the organization and systems layout might be above average...but restoring a boat while living aboard and no dirt dwelling, storage or workshop....plus cruising 20,000 miles in a decade kept repairs and upgrades moving faster than to be always paying attention to detail. I am sure he is tweaking on a regular basis and should have a gem of a cruiser in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom