Old 10-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
This is all my fault guys because I just bought a boat in St Pete. Days later they started talking about this damn storm.

Just my luck...I buy a boat and a hurricane forms and heads right for it
Wifey B: South Carolina thanks you. You'd already done more than enough damage there.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: South Carolina thanks you. You'd already done more than enough damage there.
Right? After that we moved to boat to Willmington and listed Knotty Girl for sale. Fortunately she sold quickly and I swear the check had just cleared as Florence was developing and setting her sights on Willmington. Dodged that one! But jokes on me, she was just waiting for us to buy another boat.

Keeping your boat out of the path of a hurricane is easy, just find out where my boat is and donít go there!

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #23
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
OK......

I am not a hurricane expert, but simple logic says to not delay.

Personally I would be much happier several hundred miles away sitting happily in my boat than hunkered down in my house, or sitting in a red cross shelter, or a motel several hundred miles inland.

Seems to me thast just like folks in other areas preparing for the risks prevelant in their area, hurricane areas would prepare as well.

Boat always with full tanks, food onboard and in ready to depart condition.

House with pre-cut plywood for the windows, backup power, food and water stashed just in case.

I would have plywooded up the house yesterday, called out sick from work this morning, and been gone at first light.
Sorry Kevin....I was laughing that others kept saying it can't be done, shouldn't be done etc.... and I was disagreeing with them for the most part.

I agree that moving can and should be done sometimes for some people in some situations

I wasn't directing the laugh at you at all....just some sarcasm gone astray....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sorry Kevin....I was laughing that others kept saying it can't be done, shouldn't be done etc.... and I was disagreeing with them for the most part.

I agree that moving can and should be done sometimes for some people in some situations

I wasn't directing the laugh at you at all....just some sarcasm gone astray....
I know, and knew you were having fun.

In all serious though...

Some people prepare for emergencies, some not so much. I have always been on the better to prepare side of things.

No... I do not have a bunker, or anything like that, but I am prepared to ethier shelter in place or relocate as necessary at a moments notice.
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #25

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
This is all my fault guys because I just bought a boat in St Pete. Days later they started talking about this damn storm.

Just my luck...I buy a boat and a hurricane forms and heads right for it
You should be okay in St Pete,
Old 10-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
You should be okay in St Pete,
I think so also. The marina is going to throw a few more lines and bumpers on. They said Iím in a pretty good spot.

I honestly canít do anything about it anyway
Old 10-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #27
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Larry and I are just below you on Longboat Key. We put out extra lines, lashed down the dinghies, and are stocked up on (and drinking) rum now.

Looks like the track has shifted a bit west which is good for us, but I feel for the folks around Panama City. Hopefully it wonít get as big as forecasted. Be safe up there!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #28
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Kevin, experienced hurricane folks will tell you to run from water and hide from wind. In other words, if youíre in a flood zone, get out. If youíre not in a flood zone, hunker down.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #29

Quote:
I think so also. The marina is going to throw a few more lines and bumpers on. They said Iím in a pretty good spot.

I honestly canít do anything about it anyway
I just spoke with a nervous owner of a 38' Morgan sailboat from goodland, which I'm going to be navigating down to Marathon on Friday, and assured him that all is good. We should have a very pleasant cruise. Light winds for sailing but calm seas for motor sailing. I think the highest winds you will see in St Pete should be less than 30 mph according to the latest local forecast.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #30
Guru

Think there is much of a risk of storm surge?
Old 10-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #31

The latest news say 3' in that area
Old 10-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #32
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
3í here would be over my dock. That will be interesting.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #33

The news agencies tend to error on the side of caution(higher) when it comes to tidal surge.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #34

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
Roger,

What not to do, indeed!

Looking at the hurricane "cone" today (Monday 10/08) Niceville is dead center in the cone. Your original plan was perfect - it is just awful that you broke your ankle. I am so sorry for you.

Another option, that will cost you a little less or close to a $10k haulout, but might make more sense:

1) If you can find one, hire a distance hauler to pull your boat and haul her by trailer west to Pensacola or thereabouts, on the day before the storm hits. (However, I understand that it is a long shot that you could find a hauler at this point.)

2) Have them stay overnight somewhere near Pensacola for the day Hurricane Michael is predicted to hit your area.

3) Have them haul your boat back the day after the storm.

Our go-to hauler down here in the Tampa Bay area is Tim Garcia, Vessel Transport, LLC. He is very experienced, brilliant, careful, and most importantly, insured. Even though it is doubtful at this late date that he is not all booked up, his phone number is 813-629-1463. He is in Riverview.

When I was in elementary school, we used to live up there right on Joe's Bayou. I love that area of the panhandle. (Isn't there a large boat ramp in Valparaiso that could handle a trawler?) All my fingers are crossed for you, hoping that Michael makes landfall east of Choctawhatchee Bay. That would spare your area the storm surge.

And just like BandB, I was quite astonished when late Sunday the storm status was upgraded from tropical storm to hurricane. This past Thurs/Fri/Sat the forecast was definitive that Michael would remain a tropical storm.

We are getting some of the storm's outer rain bands now in St. Petersburg. We may get a mild 3-footish storm surge on Wednesday. No big deal here.

Hoping for the best outcome for you, Roger. I simply can't imagine losing my ambulation just as a hurricane is predicted to hit my area.

Stay safe,
Pea

Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #35
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I am a bit north of Miami about 1000 ft of the ICW. When I bought this AT34, I put in 5 extra hand rails inside the boat. I put them in horizontally. It was like magic. Somehow I put them all in the right places. For Irma, I filled the water tank, emptied the sanitary tank. I am bow in so I moved the RIB around the and under the bow on one side. I pulled the plug and let it fill 3 inches of sea water, giving it enough weight to keep it in the water, during the blow. Backed the boat out a bit, centered it in the slips with breast lines and doubled up all lines and took in the water hose. I think I put out 2 extra fenders on the dock side too. Next, went inside, closed the doors and windows. We lost power so I went to bed rather than start the generator. I have 2 TVs, each on their own small inverter plus a larger inverter, couple solar panels too.
One boat sank, one large boat pulled its pilings and floated up against the rocks. Another boat rubbed up against some pilings and the bow against seawall.

I adjusted my bow and stern lines once or twice during the storm. Turns out, this marina is on the same electrical leg as the hospital at the end of the block. We got power back long before others.

Only once or twice did I think I was crazy to remain on board and then less than a minute, each time.

Yup, there were things I would do different but what I did was more than enough.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #36
Guru

I have heard, some marinas want you off the hard for a hurricane.
All you can do is prepare your boat as best you can and either stay on board or leave the area.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #37
Guru

The hurricane plan for this marina, Waterway - NE 207th street, Aventura FL, reads - shut off the water and turn off the power. Thankfully they dont. For Irma, they shut off the water and the weather shut off the electric for a couple of days.
More than once, I have asked the marina office to warn me when they are going to shut off the water. Alas, they dont.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:24 AM   #38
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
OK here is the latest update for my situation. I spent several hours at the Orthopedic Surgeon yesterday. No surgery required. Also got rid of those crutches. At 65 I thought the crutches were going to kill me. I now have a walking boot and pain pills. Allows me to be able to walk slowly and now I watch where I'm going. Right now my area which all the way back in Boggy Bayou, well protected from the NW to NE is predicted to have winds up to 50 KTs. I can handle that in my own dock. My neighbor was kind enough to add all the additional lines for me. Now have about 14 lines to her webbed to about 10 pilings most. lines are 5/8 and 3/4. This afternoon I have really experienced boaters coming over and we will either put a couple of anchors out to stern which is south or if the storm moves west we can anchor her out with three large anchors. I now can get on the boat with a little help so have more options.
Thanks for all the kind words and ideas. Bless the folks that are impacted!
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #39
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin_NT32 View Post
Up here in New England, most owners haul their boats when forecasts indicate a close or direct hit to their home port. Most insurance companies up here will not cover storm damage from any "named storm" if the boat is not hauled or moved to a proven "hurricane hole". Insurance coverage will pay for 50% of the cost to do a named storm related short haul. In over 40 years with a boat on a mooring in Rhode Island, I've hauled the boat for about 6 hurricanes. I'm always amazed when I see the videos of Southern boats sunk or thrown up on shore, leaving their boats in the water in the worse possible place... tied up to a floating dock slip.
Iíve lived in New England all my life. Had many boats and been through a few hurricanes while on a mooring and at a dock. Been paid for damage at least once. Never heard of Yacht insurance that wonít cover a boat in the water for a named storm? What am I missing? Some will pay 1/2 for a haul.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
OK here is the latest update for my situation. I spent several hours at the Orthopedic Surgeon yesterday. No surgery required. Also got rid of those crutches. At 65 I thought the crutches were going to kill me. I now have a walking boot and pain pills. Allows me to be able to walk slowly and now I watch where I'm going. R
Crutches can be worse than the injury. I went through them decades ago with torn ligaments. Got to where I could even go at almost a running speed down the hall with them, but woe be to anyone who happened to be coming around the corner as they had no brakes and I couldn't steer, only straight line at that speed.

There's something inherently wrong in their design and the concept as our underarms were not built to support our entire weight on some sticks rammed up under them.

Last person I knew with a broken foot got some sort of one legged scooter she put the bad foot on and used the good foot and zoomed around the office. I fully expected her to do an Arte Johnson tricycle fall but she was quite proficient at getting around.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote