Storing at dock a NEW Idea or Old News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traumagas

Vessel Name
M/V Persistance
Vessel Make
Leopardcat 51 PC
I have a Twin engine power cat Located in the Florida Keys Sitting at dock with great bottom Paint SEA HAWK .....Doing the Job. I had Prop Speed Placed on running Gear at yard. ( they would not allow me to do it my self ) So they must have not Prepped it According to PROP Speed ITS NOT WORKING . So I dove the Boat this weekend and Cleaned running Gear and checked Zincs. I was thinking Since I am not Headed out for several months I could take a Contractor Plastic Bag Fill with water and slip it up over rudders then take a Water hose fresh and displace some Salt water changing salinity inside the Bag then tie it Off under the water. I suspect the growth would Not form. Anyone ever done this ?

I would Do this with Props As Well.......

M/V Persistance

I have seen the whole boat with a sheet of visquine under it to prevent growth.
It worked well as I recall.

We’ve bagged our prop for years when we leave the boat. Don’t worry about displacing the salt water with fresh. Once you bag the prop and or rudder, the critters that are alive will use the oxygen in the water pretty quickly then the water goes anaerobic and you’ll have no growth. We just use a black plastic garbage bag and thin cotton line to secure it the bag. Easy on and easy off. :)

Last edited:
Certainly is doable. However make sure you put a sign by the ignition reminding you to remove the bags before starting.

We bagged our props when leaving the boat in Florida waters for more than 2 weeks not using. Works Great! I hate cleaning props.

Great thanks For all the info For sure will put a REMOVE BAGS note on Wheel.

Prop Speed was a Failure for Me maybe not others, I read where Sea Hawk Tuff Stuff Epoxy Primer can be placed on Props and then a NON Copper Paint be Placed over Primer What are most of you doing.....

M/V Persistance

I have not used it but I understand that the prep is critical and if not done exactly then it will fail..

I have not used it but I understand that the prep is critical and if not done exactly then it will fail..

Yep I wanted to do it My self But YARD said NO ! They did the Bottom I just wanted to do the Prop Speed. They told me they had done it For years. :banghead: The problem is some GUY does not give a HOOT about the Job hes Doing.

Spoke to Prop Speed and they Said Owner Installed Prop speed Hardly ever gets Calls of Failure but Does get calls questions asked prior to Application, they much prefer Owner installing the Product as they the Owner has Skin in the Game.

my only issue is Prop Speed good for a Year and Has to be run often.....
I think i will go to Epoxy Primer and Non CU anti fowl on running Gear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom