Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Grand Vizier

Stop what you're doing and buy this boat

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973.../United-States

Big wood scares me, but I saw this vessel in Anacortes and found her flawless.* That could have been the same as Madonna with makeup on, but I think an honest effort was made trying to make her perfect.* The price is pretty amazing, although the brightwork would be something else to maintain.

-- Edited by Delfin on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 09:25:51 PM
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Stop what you're doing and buy this boat

Quote:
Delfin wrote:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973.../United-States

Big wood scares me, but I saw this vessel in Anacortes and found her flawless.* That could have been the same as Madonna with makeup on, but I think an honest effort was made trying to make her perfect.* The price is pretty amazing, although the brightwork would be something else to maintain.

-- Edited by Delfin on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 09:25:51 PM
*Carl

I saw her in Friday Harbor a couple years ago. She is flawless. I read a story about her and her owner at the time. As I remember it, he bought a shipyard in Anacortes for the purpose of refitting her, and spent a few years doing so. If I'm not mistaken, it was a Passagemaker article where I first saw the boat. If one didn't know better, you'd think she was fiberglass.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

Wow.... I'd be afraid to even step on that boat, much less take her to sea... she is a piece of art...
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

That boat is out of my league.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #5

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

I suspect this boat will not be on the market for too long. Beautiful.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

I would love to have that boat as long as I had at least 3 boat boys to keep up the painting and bright work.
A lovley piece of work.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

She*is a Beauty.* A 38 year old wood boat in perfect shape!* Obviously an open checkbook maintiance policy. What I find most interesting is that the exterior teak deck is finshed in what looks like varnish.* The water just beads up.* A lot of work but looks great!

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
Grand Vizier

I vaguely know of the guy that owns her - from my home town.* My impression is that he had at the time a big wallet, little knowledge of boats and had in his mind they have a lot of brightwork.* Someone might have told him that varnishing a teak deck kind of defeats the purpose....
Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

WOW! Someone really knows how to varnish. Can't imagine that keeping up the brightwork is a part-time job.
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Stop what you're doing and buy this boat

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 11:10:30 PM
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Grand Vizier

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:
*I have a friend that knows the owner well... I believe the owner is a " old time" sailor that circumnavigated before the advent of gps... but I could be mistaken. I know he is a CCA member

HOLLYWOOD

*Tim White?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

That is insane!!!!! I'm not worthy........
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I have never seen a boat better kept than this. It is truly amazing! I only wish my own was 1 tenth as nice!
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I am very impressed and like the lines and her statistics/ratios.* A great example of a classic yacht that been taken care of*and time and money was invested.*I ran some of the ratios on her and she is definitely heavy Blue Water capable. http://www.sailingusa.info/motion_comfort.htm. *I realize this is a sail boat ratios, but this is the best I can come up with for blue water boats.*
Does anybody know what the boats name was before they bought her.* I bet Joyce with the Ursa Major knows. **Many years ago, each year they met at the Wood Boat Center on Lake Union.* Her lines look familiar.* *There are only two lifts in the Puget Sound area that I know of that could lift her, Delta Marina, Seattle and Port Townsend and Anacortes might have one*Most of the commercial pull at Port Townsend as Delta is very expensive.* I dont want to make the Eagle heavier that 50 ton which is what many yard have.
The only way to keep a boat in that condition is boat house kept, and not live on it and/or use it.* A couple of season out in the PNW rainy weather the varnish would be destroyed.* Especially the front vanished deck.* We tried to keep the Eagle in that condition but we are out in the open slip and we could not keep up.* We've been adding canvas so that helps, and in the winter have a tarp over the front deck, which is sealed with Daleys SeaFin which dries hard with a shine, so it sort of look vanished but the deck can be very slippery.* *I imagine those varnish decks are slippery.*******
Maybe she will be at Trawler Fest which is a great way to get people to see and maybe go on.* I know when the time comes we will be taking the Eagle to most of the shows, but it would be a full time job keep her in show condition.* **
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

GEE! I did not mean to stop the discussion?* I plan to take a trip and go look at the boat and hope it might be a trawler fest.***

If you pass Everett let me know as we like to meet people.* My wife is semi retired, I work in Everettand so we can meet at anytime.* The Boat might be mess, but we live on her.* My wife is going on another mission trip, and we were reading about cold and warm*climate people.**Cold are direct, do not like to waste time,*do not like to invade space with out notice, and no very spontaneous.* We are warm climate people that enjoy gabbing, time is not that important and tend to be*spontaneous.* So dont be a cold climate person.* *

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #16

City: Enumclaw
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Malahide

Joyce Gauthier, owner of Ursa Major (65 foot Malahide Norwegian built Bear Class North Sea Trawler) and self appointed historian for the Romsal and Malahide trawler yachts................To answer Phil/Fill's question that I just noticed.....* Sorry Phil/Fiill** I missed this discussion when it originated.****

Sovereign of Malahide is the vessel we are speaking of here.** She was originally built 1973 in the major build phase of the Southern Marine yard in Malahide Ireland and is the design of Myles Stapleton referred to as the Penguin class vessel.*** Her original name was* Comet and I think was Sovereign at one point and Tim added the "of Malahide".***** * She was owned at one time by the family that runs the Ensenda boatrepair yard, ended up in Seattle and ultimately restored by Tim White the current owner who did buy a boatyard so he could do the restoration.*** I am not sure about the story of her earlier life but will work on it.********* There is a section about his renovation in Passagemaker Mar/April 2002* Page 80 by Bob Lane titled A True Trawler Yacht which is about the Malahide era.***** She is one of the Penguin Class Malahides from the design of Myles Stapleton with a Portuguese built hull and superstructure done in Ireland.***** Tim tried to stay true to her original design.** She is beautiful in every way.*** ***

UrsaMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46

Now that´s a Trawler. For those interested to know, in Leixões Portugal, there are guys who can still build the original hulls of Malahides. In wood as they should be. Back in the 50´s and 60´s, all cargo was taken up and dopwn the coast of Angola and Congo in different sizes of Malahide hulls. My Grand ftaher was the owner of two of them, the Milfontes and the Ofir. The first one was 49´and the second was 78´with a profile very similar to Ursa Major. Those were times were I use to play in the beach sand surrounded by the noise of hammering and the smell of fresh red wood and cooper paint.

Boy I miss those times!
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
Grand Vizier

Do you have any pictures?