Stoopid Siberia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Great. Three weeks off work to explore and photograph BC's north coast, and the area is choked with forest fire smoke from as far away as Siberia. Grrrrr!

Oh well, guess I'll be concentrating on close ups, sunrises/sets and moonrises/sets until the air clears.

Small planet...

Attachments

• DSCF0722.jpg
    DSCF0722.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 136
Great. Three weeks off work to explore and photograph BC's north coast, and the area is choked with forest fire smoke from as far away as Siberia. Grrrrr!

Oh well, guess I'll be concentrating on close ups, sunrises/sets and moonrises/sets until the air clears.

Small planet...
Who fired up the bbq??? :)

L

We went through NYC 2 years ago and wanted to take lots of great photos. They had a severe smog alert and all of our photos are very poor quality as a result.

In some circumstances, forest fire smoke in B&W images gets mistaken for fog, so not all is lost, but it's frustrating when the mountain scenes will be veiled.

Feel your pain. About 14 years ago, I was taking my freshly painted boat to Hatters NC. There was a swamp fire to the west that burned for months. No way to fight it by land or water. So they just let it burn out. The moss ash would get carried way up in the air, travel many miles and then fall to earth....on my boat. Spent hours scrubbing the boat clean. Depending on wind direction, we would breathe the smokey air for days. The things we put up with when trying to make a living.

Ted

Murray,
You could wait for an easterly wind change. Oh - but then you'd get smoke from the Kamloops fires.
Maybe a southerly; No - Princeton fires.
A northerly? No - fires around the Fairbanks area.

You may have to wait for winter.

Murray,
You could wait for an easterly wind change. Oh - but then you'd get smoke from the Kamloops fires.
Maybe a southerly; No - Princeton fires.
A northerly? No - fires around the Fairbanks area.

You may have to wait for winter.

Ouch :facepalm: :D

Been over 30C all week and supposed to be 35C tomorrow...and this is a temperate rainforest?!!?

Murray it’s forecast to be 92f (reduced from 96) here in Concrete Wa on Monday.
It’s usually about 10 degrees cooler in LaConner where the boat is so we may spend the night there.

Murray is the picture in your intro post of your house?

Stan thanks for the very informative link.

Last edited:
Murray is the picture in your intro post of your house?

Nope, it’s from our back deck, overlooking the hedge, and looking south east at the back yards of houses at the next street over.

Murray,
My sympathies.
We too have haze, Howe Sound haze from ,apparently, Burns Bog aburning.

At least we can still see the sun unlike a few years ago. The sun was a dull orange, had to clean the ash from the boat while I repainted the name on the bow.
Forest fires are getting more common and worse. I gulped at the reports out of California.

Hope you get some clear days.

Murray,
My sympathies...

Likewise.

First Nations used to burn parts of their territory on a rotating/regular basis which kept 'catastrophic' forest fires to a minimum. As hunter gatherers, it made sense because in seasons following the burn animals would be attracted to the lush new growth, making it easier to hunt.

We should spark that up again.

But Murray we’re interested in growing trees now.

But Murray we’re interested in growing trees now.

Forests as crops (single species / all about the same age) are almost sterile compared to a natural forest with its mix of species of all ages.

You’d have to crunch the numbers of lost taxes from timber revenue vs the cost of fighting forest fires combined with lost properties, etc.

For me it’s not about the money, it’s about the preservation of species and balance of ecosystems.

Last edited:
Murray,
Can’t have the numbers of people we have now and preserve species and ecosystems.

Forests as crops (single species / all about the same age) are almost sterile compared to a natural forest with its mix of species of all ages.

You’d have to crunch the numbers of lost taxes from timber revenue vs the cost of fighting forest fires combined with lost properties, etc.

For me it’s not about the money, it’s about the preservation of species and balance of ecosystems.
There is a middle way between "natural" (meaning leaving forest on its own) and crop. Something that surprised me here is the way forest is used. Left wild and harvested and the wood quality resulting from this is quite deceptive. Where I come from forest are left natural but also managed in a way that trees can grow but also regenerate and the result is better wood quality and a forest in good health.

L

Unfortunately, no one in the US or Canada is willing to pay for selectively-harvested lumber, thus clear-cutting, thus forestry monoculture, thus unhealthy forests. The myth of "sustained yield" forestry was disproved decades ago, but....

Last summer we were all choking on smoke from fires in BC, Washington and Oregon. I took a trip halfway up the east coast of Vancouver Island hoping to get into some clearer air...and it was WORSE over there!

Current BC forest management is a disgrace. It's time to openly call it what it is - a tree farm. A monoculture is not a forest. Sell long term leases to mange long term farms, rather than short term stumpage sales for clear cutting. There is no incentive to mange anything in the long term.

The situation would be far better off if half the province was leased off as tree farms, and the other half could recover as a real forest. The current path is towards a poorly run tree farm with no one taking responsibility for long term sustainability in production, profits or the ecosystem.

When I return home to BC every 2-3 years, the change is much more obvious to me in comparison to locals who see it incrementally every day.
It almost brings a tear to my eye as a drive or walk through another clearcut with a monoculture of seedlings planted, where not many years ago it was a real forest with hundreds of species of flora.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no one in the US or Canada is willing to pay for selectively-harvested lumber, thus clear-cutting, thus forestry monoculture, thus unhealthy forests. The myth of "sustained yield" forestry was disproved decades ago, but....

Simply not true.

We selectively timbered our land decades ago and we are not the only ones to do so. Some parcels have been cleared cut but they have not been planted as a mono culture either.

Our land is useless for farming and has never been farmed. It has only grown trees, supported wildlife and hidden moonshine stills since Europeans came into the area centuries ago. Prior to the Europeans, it only grew trees and wildlife. A neighboring parcel was farmed at one time but it has been been a forest again for the last century or so. It too has been selectively harvested but nobody would know but the owners and neighbors.

Later,
Dan

Simply not true.

We selectively timbered our land decades ago and we are not the only ones to do so. Some parcels have been cleared cut but they have not been planted as a mono culture either.

Our land is useless for farming and has never been farmed. It has only grown trees, supported wildlife and hidden moonshine stills since Europeans came into the area centuries ago. Prior to the Europeans, it only grew trees and wildlife. A neighboring parcel was farmed at one time but it has been been a forest again for the last century or so. It too has been selectively harvested but nobody would know but the owners and neighbors.

Later,

Dan

In general, there isn’t nearly as much profit in selective harvesting as there is in clearcutting. So while small landowners may selectively harvest and there are boutique logging operations that will do it, there isn’t nearly as much money to be made in that arena.

Growing up in the land of Weyerhaeuser I was indoctrinated into the idea that clearcutting and replanting was perfectly responsible. Most of the time, the clear cuts that I see are still being replanted with Douglas Fir. Even though Weyerhaeuser runs seed farms that produce seeds for a variety of PNW trees, I haven’t seen clear cuts that have been planted with anything but a monoculture.

A contingent of almost 200 expert Australian and New Zealand firefighters leave today to help with fires affecting 3 different areas of USA.

We are in a dry El Nino phase, looks like a bad fire season coming. Lots of preparatory burning off in selected areas,with consequent air pollution in Sydney.Plus there is a fire burning at Holsworthy Army Base, in the area used for practice live fire. Not all items fired explode, firefighters have to tread carefully with a fire that would normally be extinguished long ago,and no longer polluting Sydney.

The "forests" of BC have changed immensely due to logging. Most of the old growth cedar is gone, simply because it is difficult to replant. After clearcutting, or even any aggressive selective logging, a cedar forest struggles to regrow.

Have a walk through an old growth cedar forest. The ground layer is often made up of thick mosses and lichens that act as a giant sponge holding in the moisture. This layer is a very fragile and necessary part of the forest. Once torn up by logging an exposed to the sun, it is gone. Cedars will struggle to grow even if they are replanted. The forest loses its wet sponge base and any wildfires will burn much hotter. Heavy rains after logging now causes severe erosion and mudslides. The rich soil ends up in the once clear rivers.

Replanting pines and firs does not fix anything. Each process of logging and replanting results in a less healthy crop of trees. The soil left in some areas barely supports tree suitable for fenceposts. Its a sad situation.

We're going through a period of very dense Sahara dust (no kidding!) in the Caribbean right now. It is very fine and coats the boat in a Martian-like powder, at times limiting visibility and bothering those allergic to it.
On the positive side, it makes for some incredible sunsets!

The "forests" of BC have changed immensely due to logging. Most of the old growth cedar is gone, simply because it is difficult to replant. After clearcutting, or even any aggressive selective logging, a cedar forest struggles to regrow.

Have a walk through an old growth cedar forest. The ground layer is often made up of thick mosses and lichens that act as a giant sponge holding in the moisture. This layer is a very fragile and necessary part of the forest. Once torn up by logging an exposed to the sun, it is gone. Cedars will struggle to grow even if they are replanted. The forest loses its wet sponge base and any wildfires will burn much hotter. Heavy rains after logging now causes severe erosion and mudslides. The rich soil ends up in the once clear rivers.

Replanting pines and firs does not fix anything. Each process of logging and replanting results in a less healthy crop of trees. The soil left in some areas barely supports tree suitable for fenceposts. Its a sad situation.

I don't know which part of BC you are referring to, but it certainly isn't the southern coastal areas where I live. Here Cedars grow like weeds. The market for Cedar is poor at the best of times, with Doug Fir and other SPF wood being higher value by far, but frequently choked out by the much more prolific Cedars.

Those who know which soils and climactic conditions are most favourable to each specie can easily identify the places Cedar will be found in abundance. Likewise Doug Fir and others. Hopefully that knowledge is well known to the foresters of the province.

To digress a bit, I just watched another fully loaded ship carrying logs running down Houstoun Passage in front of my house. No doubt going offshore to make high value jobs for others.

Rant over.

While driving to the office this morning, the smoke from the Washington fires can be seen hanging over Puget Sound.IMG_20180808_082402157.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom