Old 04-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #81
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
I love the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning.
+1. Early morning, sun coming up, smell of diesel from engines' start, and up-anchor. Heaven.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #82
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I found this thread somewhat amusing, especially since it just illustrates the old adage "different strokes for different folks".
Here in the NW of the continent, air conditioning is not really needed except for MAYBE a few nights in the year. I do understand the desire (need) for air in the SE as I am sure sleeping would be difficult without it. My guess would be that most if not all boats down there (SE) would run their generators (and air) all night, so it shouldn't really be a problem. Most people should expect this and get used to it.

For me, I try hard to be as good a neighbour as I can in an anchorage (or even at a dock). I don't need air conditioning, we cook with propane, and heat (when needed) with diesel. The heater is the noisiest equipment, and we shut it off at bedtime anyway (and don't use it all that often). I don't run the generator before 8AM (usually 9) and don't run it during the happy hour/dinner time. I also don't run it after 9PM. This is even though my generator is very quiet, exhausting underwater. I am lucky enough that this meets my needs so I am not missing out by trying to be considerate. In this area (PNW), (in my humble opinion and as far as I can figure) most people (excluding the very large yachts) don't NEED to run their generators all night however, some chose to do so. This may in fact, be a bit inconsiderate (at least in some situations), but is usually not a big deal to me personally.

I agree with the clanging halyards being horrible, and this is just plain laziness. They can be tied off to reduce or eliminate the problem.
Like one poster mentioned, for me the worst annoyance was when a "super yacht" (200 footer) was docked across the wharf from me, and they ran their generator all day and night with it exhausting directly into my bedroom. I had to not only listen to it all night, but had no choice but to keep all windows and ports closed to keep out the horrible smell. Diesel exhaust is also known to be carcinagenic. I talked to the marina about this, but they said there was nothing that could be done as the yacht "needed" the power. I don't know about all of the needs of ships this size, but I suspected that they could have made some adjustments but that they just didn't care about the impact they were having on their neighbours.
ASD,
If I ever run across you up here, I would love to have that scotch you talked about. Just not a cigar smoker.
P.S.
I do not mean to be critical of anyone (except maybe the "super yacht"), just outlining my thinking on this and what I choose to do and am able to make work.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #83
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
firehoser75,
If only they were all like you. A fine man and even a gentleman and a Canadian too.
Re heaters (assuming we’re talking about Wabastos and Espars) they definitely make noise but fly stuff compared to gas or diesel generators. And it’s interesting that most (probably) that were complaining about diesel heater noise are saying generators are just fine.
But you Tom are ahead of me in the quiet line re diesel heaters as I run mine all night whenever I feel the need. But it could conceivably keep an adjacent boat crew awake. Hmmmm? Never even thought it (Wabasto) should be shut down at night. This TF is a mirror at times.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #84
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
If my big concern was heating the boat as opposed to cooling it, it would be simple to set up so there was no need for a generator. Diesel hydronic heat, propane cooking (which my wife prefers anyway), and a bigger inverter battery bank, but cooling is a totally different matter. You can store a lot more BTUs in 300lbs of diesel than in 300lbs of batteries.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well if we do happen to be in the same anchorage I wold still invite you over for a cigar and a scotch!!!!
ASD,
An olive branch? I accept but I’ll not be taking your offerings. Already done too much of that. You learned to do that in Alaska .. right?
Thanks,
Eric

Old 04-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #86
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Sitting in Mile Hammock off Camp Lejeune, NC tonight. 3rd boat into the anchorage. There are now ten, and it ain't dark yet. There is a sailboat (late arrival) that's maybe 80' from me when our swings coincide. How did Rodney King put it, "can't we all just get along". Was thinking about firing up the generator to make some heat (going to be in the low 50s tonight). But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.

70' on this swing. Daughter looks kind of cute, hmmm. If you don't want me looking at your daughter, don't anchor so close.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #87
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Any good tattoos Ted?

Sorry I missed you, still in FT Pierce, looks like departing Wednesday for Charleston.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #88
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

70' on this swing. Daughter looks kind of cute, hmmm. If you don't want me looking at your daughter, don't anchor so close.

Ted
Maybe you need the cooling on instead!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #89
Guru

Ted wrote;
“Was thinking about firing up the generator to make some heat (going to be in the low 50s tonight). But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.”

Great Idea,
Think I’ll go find that inverter.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Any good tattoos Ted?

Sorry I missed you, still in FT Pierce, looks like departing Wednesday for Charleston.
Couldn't see any tats, too much clothing, low 60s.

Oh well, maybe next time. Missed an outstanding dinner at Joseph's Italian Bistro and Chop House.

Ted
Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #91

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Sitting in Mile Hammock off Camp Lejeune, NC tonight. 3rd boat into the anchorage. There are now ten, and it ain't dark yet. There is a sailboat (late arrival) that's maybe 80' from me when our swings coincide. How did Rodney King put it, "can't we all just get along". Was thinking about firing up the generator to make some heat (going to be in the low 50s tonight). But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.

Ted
I don't know about the need for the electric blanket. But at least if you have the windows open with no gen set running, the skitters will not bother you with all the winds that we have seen lately.

But in the southeast and when the humidity rears its head, if you do not run any ac, your fabrics and interior parts will end up with mold over time. And that's salt laced humidity too and does not clean up with a swipe of a rag on your bulkheads.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Maybe you need the cooling on instead!
I'm on a diet. Only look at the menu when it's put in front of me.

Ted
Old 04-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
I don't know about the need for the electric blanket. But at least if you have the windows open with no gen set running, the skitters will not bother you with all the winds that we have seen lately.
Tell me about it! Seems weird for the wind not to be blowing 30+ tonight.

Ted
Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #94
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
ASD,
If I ever run across you up here, I would love to have that scotch you talked about. Just not a cigar smoker.
No problem offer stands..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Diesel fumes are one thing...cigar stench is going waaaaay too far!!!!!!
Ha If I see you rowing into the same anchorage as me, I will light up a BIG fat one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
ASD,
An olive branch? I accept but I’ll not be taking your offerings. Already done too much of that. You learned to do that in Alaska .. right?
Thanks,
Eric
None needed my friend. I take this stuff on TF with a grain of salt and warped sense of humor.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #95
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Apologies for interrupting.
Some of you guys mentioned Webasto or Eberspacher diesel heaters.
We've found alternative makes which work on exactly the same principle which are obviously copies, there are models from 1KW up to 8KW usually supplied with a silencer(just check, as some aren't).
They cost around £200 sterling and are advertised on eBay.co.uk or you can buy them from Wish.com.
One of the tech guys in a boating magazine in the UK subjected them to a heavy testing and gave them a thumbs up.
I fitted an 8KW model to our cruiser and it works perfectly, it cost 220 Euro plus 60 for import duties as opposed to £3,000 for an Eberspacher. I insulated the pipes with 'clip on' Webasto insulation which definitely helps the efficiency of the system.
We use them on simple 'fan' mode in summer (around 38/40 degrees C) and the 'wind chill' effect helps to cool the air a little.
I hope this info helps someone.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #96
FF
Guru

"But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.”

There are 12v electric sheets that work even better than electric blankets.

The sheet heats the mattress and the blankets on the bed , so when you crawl in the bed is warm!

Even more delightful is that portion of the bed you do not occupy is also warm!

Cold feet? Slide them over a foot to a nice warm area.

https://electrowarmth.com/comfort/

These are made as 12V bunk warmers or 120V for larger double beds.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #97
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Apologies for interrupting.
Some of you guys mentioned Webasto or Eberspacher diesel heaters.
We've found alternative makes which work on exactly the same principle which are obviously copies, there are models from 1KW up to 8KW usually supplied with a silencer(just check, as some aren't).
They cost around £200 sterling and are advertised on eBay.co.uk or you can buy them from Wish.com.
One of the tech guys in a boating magazine in the UK subjected them to a heavy testing and gave them a thumbs up.
I fitted an 8KW model to our cruiser and it works perfectly, it cost 220 Euro plus 60 for import duties as opposed to £3,000 for an Eberspacher. I insulated the pipes with 'clip on' Webasto insulation which definitely helps the efficiency of the system.
We use them on simple 'fan' mode in summer (around 38/40 degrees C) and the 'wind chill' effect helps to cool the air a little.
I hope this info helps someone.
Check your insurance. My policy states that all heating devices on board be UL or CSA listed.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #98
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Lithium Batteries could power an AC for reasonably short periods (perhaps several hours) but they would be very expensive, require a fair amount of space and still need to be charged off engines or genset daily. A quiet well maintained genset below decks should not put out too much noise or odor. If it is hot and humid I don't see why anither boater would object to it and if so annoying then that is their problem.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #99
Guru

READY,
Most all green routes are more expensive.
But as an old friend of mine usta say that bought one of the first Preius cars after I told him his car was not cost effective. Eric ... someone has got to lead the way. I’m not prone to be a “someone” but I’m always watch’in.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #100
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The large OTR trucks have batt powered air cond , for their sleeper cabs, for a decade.

Problem is its only about 5,000 BTU so it does fine with a small cabin but can not do multiple cabins or the entire vessel.

Small aircons of 9k or 12k btu can be very efficient, especially the split units. It would be interesting to see what some here find is the minimum run time to keep sleeping cabins comfortable during the evening. Example, a 9k unit running for 30 minutes, once every two hours. That could easily be accommodated with a big house bank. Then fire up the genny in the morning.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote