Still having troubles getting into my slip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it were me I would normally go bow in because of my dinghy on davits. But that might be a bear to get back out. Stern in, I would come in slowly just like I was going to dock head first in Slip#11, then reverse easy. The stern will walk right into slip 23. How far out of the slip does the boat in Slip 11 stick out? Is there at least a full boat length of room to turn around?
The question is where the rudder needs to be for your boat. I would try first leaving the rudder to port through the whole maneuver and see how that works out.

Last edited:
Change slip or get a right hand prop

What is after your dock - a sea wall or turning basin?

Menzies: If you watch my Youtube video in my signature then you'll get a better idea of my dock layout.

It's not a seawall but it's the main boardwalk to get to my section of the marina.

While the advice to change slips could be the ultimate answer to keeping sane....

Boathandling into almost anywhere should be a primary goal for most of us.

One big part of boathandling is knowing what your boat likes and doesnt.

The armchair captain in me guesses your boat would prefer to pull into the slip. Singles often prefer a way to turn in forward and reverse. Your diagram and boat suggests to me pulling in is perfect as your boat naturally wants to make right hand turns in forward and back to the left in reverse. With a thruster, gives you that much more control.

If pulling in is out of the question, then changing slips is a real consideration so that you arent fighting your boat into the slip.

Changing props only works if you change the direction of your tranny or engine..... sorry but have to point that out to those that might be confused.

Prop wash in reverse is to starboard.

Yea, a LH prop tends to kick the stern to stbd in reverse.

I asked just to confirm I understood; I've not ever had a single with LH prop, so wanted to be sure I was on track before commenting...

If you must dock stern-to, I'd think it'd be easier to dock that boat on the starboard side of your fairway (as you are) and in a "starboard" (after you've begun your 90° turn to port) side of one of those double cribs. IOW, ending up with a starboard-side tie-up. For example, slip #24, #22, etc.

If you're tied to that slip, I think I'd consider docking bow-to, if the finger is long enough to get on and off the boat and if your power cord will reach. And/or start using a spring line from the outward end of the finger to a mid-ship cleat to control drift toward your crib neighbor; that'd likely need a crew to constantly adjust spring length and tension as you go astern...

OTOH, your bow thruster is a big plus...

Practice can help, of course. I watched the Fleming dealer yesterday giving docking lessons to one of their new buyers. Looked like either a 58 or a more likely a 65. The buyer lady docked that rascal about 15 times in a row... as they are usually made to do, during several similar sessions as they prep their new owners...

But that Fleming is probably much easier to dock than yours. Or ours, for that matter.

-Chris

Last edited:
After looking at your video, I would amend my comments by nosing into slip 12 then reverse will pull the stern right into slip 23. The left hand prop is exactly what you need for stern in on that side of the dock.

Yeah, I definitely don't wanna change slips. I like my slip a lot. I'm looking at it as a challenge and a learning experience.

Psneeld: As to your post 34; It doesn't back left in reverse. The propwash is to starboard. That's a lot of what my problem is , since I have a stern in port side tie up.

Sorry, was thinking left out of the slip if backing out....still knew starboard propWALK.

If you pulled in, the starboard propwalk would help coming alongside. Another plus for pulling in.

My RH prop makes my home dock port side tie a breeze. Get next to bulkhead, hit reverse and it snugs right in.

But many other ties I prefer stbd side to as my gennie exhaust is on port side. Or for other reasons. My port side rev walk is not convenient there, but it is no big deal. I come in and then put rudder to like 30deg to port and then do a couple back and fills (alternate fwd and rev thrust) and if needed give a "bark" of throttle in each. Each fwd hit kicks stern to stbd way more than the prop walk to port in rev. Net effect is good motion to stbd. Get the bow right with the thruster. Only time I have trouble is if wind and current are fighting me and am single handed.

In your backing in, Port tie, Stb Walk situation, don't be bashful about your neighbour. If your fenders are adequate (if not, get some that are) use the neighbour's boat as a big spacer, and when that slip is empty, his dock. Then you can toss a pair of longer lines across to your own dock and pull your boat over. That technique is for when all else has failed, of course.

In your backing in, Port tie, Stb Walk situation, don't be bashful about your neighbour. If your fenders are adequate (if not, get some that are) use the neighbour's boat as a big spacer, and when that slip is empty, his dock. Then you can toss a pair of longer lines across to your own dock and pull your boat over. That technique is for when all else has failed, of course.

Haha. On occasion I have used some rather unconventional maneuvers like that. ?

For the first 10 years we had our boat we had the same issue, only reversed. Right hand prop with a starboard side tie up. What made matters worse was we have a 40' over all length and the fairway only measured 42' so maneuvering was very difficult. I had to use the thruster if there was the slightest bit of wind. Luckily there was a piling on the port side at the entrance to the slip so occasionally i would use the piling. I see that is not an option for you. With practice you will be able to pick the spot to start your turn as well as picking how close to the end of the dock you need to be when starting. I did this both with the thruster and without so I knew the locations for each. With the thruster you will need to use it to steer in reverse. Without the thruster you will need to use the back and fill technique. For the first year I used the thruster exclusively, Then as I got more confidence I would try without the thruster. After a while I could get in and out with no thruster. since then I changed slips to be right next to friends and now go bow in and of course I have a starboard tie and as soon as I throw the boat in reverse to stop forward momentum the boat moves away from the dock. It's always something!
John

I feel your pain John. The fairway behind my boat is much narrower than my boat is long. My boat does not like to back to starboard (RH prop). I would be better backing in to my slip, but we like the view of the harbor from the salon and after cockpit when we are bow in. Even coming into my slip is unusually tricky as the wind and current are constantly messing with us.

IMG_0231.jpg

Thanks so much for everyone's replies. So much good info and experience on here. Our combined years of boating takes us back to Noahs Ark days! Lol

Trouble backing in your slip

Trouble backing in your slip.

I haven’t read all the replies posted but I will make my suggestion. If you have a strarboard propwash went in reverse that slip is ideal for your boat set up.

My boat is set up in a very similar fashion. Starboard prop walk went in reverse and a bow thruster.

When I am running my boat down the fairway, I like to have a little bit of forward momentum so when I’m ready to make my turn, I turn the helm hard to port and shift into reverse, and once in reverse power of the engine a little bit.

When this happens the boat is going to slow down to a stop and the stern of the boat is going to skew to starboard. At this point with the rudder still hard to port I will use my bow thruster to get myself lined up on my slip for minor adjustments.

If I’ve done my turn to early, so I’m not lined up with my slip with my rudder still Turned to port I can very quickly do a little burst of forward which will move my stern to the right and towards my slip.

If I am still not lined up and I can’t go forward then I simply put the engine in reverse throttle up briefly in the prop wash again is pulling me to the star board.

Only when my boat is relatively lined up with my slip I will center my rudder if I am still not lined up and I can’t go forward then I simply put the engine in reverse throttle up briefly and the prop wash again is pulling me to the star board.

Only when my boat is relatively lined up with my slip I will center my rudder. Then shifting in reverse again I can start backing into my slip and use the bow thruster As my steering device.

What I have found, is if I try and do too much with the writer and the engine shifting back-and-forth he gets to be a very busy and hectic operation. By minimizing the rudder as my steering device I quiet the operation down and I don’t feel like I am rushing.

What I have found, is if I try and do too much with the writer and the engine shifting back-and-forth he gets to be a very busy and hectic operation. By minimizing the rudder change of directions my success rate had really gone up.

Of course when wind and current are being fought It will always be a bit tricky.

Last edited:
My first slip with out old boat was on then end like that. I begged to have them move me. Pointing out that it wasn't just my sanity/boat condition but that of anyone else along the fairway if things got out of hand. While a certain slip might have it's advantages, the stress of docking may overwhelm them.

I second the recommendation to hire a captain for at least a part of the day to do some back/forth practice runs. Find a weekday when there's not a lot of other activity going on. Then just some repeated practice. Focus on understanding just how well the boat handles under different amounts of throttle and wind/current conditions.

My old boat had terrible handling when just at idle in-gear. It didn't have enough keel to keep it from wandering. Applying a bit more throttle made it much easier to control. But then it was a matter of understanding how applying enough reverse to stop/change would likewise affect the handling.

Learning the points where things were going to become difficult to recover from was VERY helpful. As in, don't let the boat start to yaw to the left/right as it would be difficult to bring the bow back in line because the stern would have to swing in the opposite direction. Granted, this was with twin v-drive inboards (no thrusters), but the same idea applies.

It was with the captain's help that I got a better handle on understanding when a docking was going poorly enough to merit a back out and do-over. Otherwise I'd end up along one side or the other of the fairway (and the bows of other boats and their anchors) without a lot of ways to maneuver away again. Understanding this helped a bunch, especially planning for how the wind would likewise push us. As in, holding close to the wind to avoid being pushed past points of maneuvering control. Strong wind coming in from one side? Hug a bit closer to that side of the fairway and let the wind be a part of your planned motion. I've never had to deal with too much current or tide, but those are also factors to keep in mind.

If I were you I'd be bow-in stardboard tie. Stern-in port tie is difficult with prop walk always wanting to pull the stern to starboard and away from the dock.

I have a single with a bow thruster as well, I would back in all the way down to your slip. If she gets out of hand with the wind you can shift to forward and exit under full control.

You always carry momentum when you come in like that. The drift gets you pretty good I’m guessing.

The predominant suggestion above is to practice. Concur. As a retired helicopter pilot I like to practice 'hovering' over the same spot in a variety of relative winds and currents trying to keep the boat in exactly the same spot over ground. Try it near a buoy or float away from the dock, into wind first and later off the wind. Then, get your boat into a stable hover near your slip, make very small changes to power, rudder and/or thruster to move the boat to where you can get a line ashore and then use gentle power against a spring line to bring the boat in against the dock. As others have suggested, prop walk is your friend if you learn to use it, and it doesn't take much of a shot of power to get a little kick to either side, depending on the gear you're in. Take your time.
Good luck.

I went bow in tonight. I've done it once or twice before in the past before too. It was DEFINITELY easier to dock. No doubt about that. But now I'll have to worry about backing out. Lol

I couldn't agree more with the folks that say "practice, practice". 100% agreed. I'm still a relatively new boater (36 y.o with about 3 years in total and 2 years were with small outboard powered boats).

I may keep going bow in....We'll see after I back out!

20180608_205326.jpg

I went bow in tonight. I've done it once or twice before in the past before too. It was DEFINITELY easier to dock. No doubt about that. But now I'll have to worry about backing out. Lol

I couldn't agree more with the folks that say "practice, practice". 100% agreed. I'm still a relatively new boater (36 y.o with about 3 years in total and 2 years were with small outboard powered boats).

View attachment 77237

Nice photo.

Backing out to starboard, particularly with a bow thruster, should be pretty easy. Of course that is if you have decent visibility to the rear.

Nice photo.

Backing out to starboard, particularly with a bow thruster, should be pretty easy. Of course that is if you have decent visibility to the rear.

Ah the joys of a back down camera.

Ah the joys of a back down camera.

Dan, I have one! Installed a 2 camera system this spring. One faces the transom (wide viewing angle) and the other one is on the bridge facing the passengers (aft).

20180608_221748.jpg

View attachment 77237

Nice going!

I think you will find backing out far easier and less stressful than backing in....looks like a great slip btw.

Yeah, I definitely don't wanna change slips. I like my slip a lot. I'm looking at it as a challenge and a learning experience.

Psneeld: As to your post 34; It doesn't back left in reverse. The propwash is to starboard. That's a lot of what my problem is , since I have a stern in port side tie up.

Sorry, was thinking left out of the slip if backing out....still knew starboard propWALK.

If you pulled in, the starboard propwalk would help coming alongside. Another plus for pulling in.

psneeld is right, and his advise to pull in, meant to berth bow first, in case you didn't get that, and that is also exactly what I suggested way back in post#4. I suggest you re-read post #4 as I also describe how easy it is to swing the boat's stern round to head out the freeway after you have backed out, and that's without a thruster. With one, as several others have said, it will be even easier. You can combine both the stern kick and the thruster to swing her on a dime..!

My boat has a starboard prop-walk in reverse also, (not wash - the wash goes to port obviously), and I don't have a bow thruster eother, but in a berth such as yours, docking bow in would be a cinch, and leaving it just as easy, as everything is then right for your boat. Including the easier turn to starboard to drive in, and the starboard turn when you've backed out, because the prop-walk in forward is also pushing the stern to port to make the right turn easier. Then better still, the reverse prop-walk is slowing you and pulling the stern to the dock, and you even have a thruster to edge the bow back to starboard if it tends to drift away from the finger.

Nowhere will you find, engraved in a tablet of stone, that one must dock stern in..!

Do what works best for you and your boat, especially as you don't want to change berths. Your situation cries out for bow in, as long as you can still access the swim-step from the dock finger. :)

Last edited:
Nowhere will you find, engraved in a tablet of stone, that one must dock stern in..!

)

Not in stone, but you will find marinas that require it. They do so to keep their walkways clear and not have bows and pulpits interfering. Fortunately, the OP's marina doesn't require it.

And many with finger piers so short that anything but backing in is a struggle to board.

Then for me I just make tha call based on arrival and departure conditions whether its worth the stop.

Peter [B said:
Nowhere will you find, engraved in a tablet of stone, that one must dock stern in..! [/B]

It may not be in stone but my marina contract states stern in.

Cant think of a marina in Sydney that allows bow in

Yes, bow in is definitely allowed here. We have lots of sailboats here also so I don't know how the marina could even enforce a rule like that (since they are all bow in).

My only concern now is that I have to run my shore power cord a lot farther.....Not the end of the world I guess.

Back
Top Bottom