Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #41
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: Stern tie - I need your opinion

I do see one advantage to this dual reel setup, and that is bringing the bitter end back to the mothership. Usually our stern ties are around rough trees or barnacled rocks, and when the bitter end is being pulled back to the boat via the dinghy, if you haven't coiled enough slack to get you back, those last few feet will give more entertainment to your neighbours than you can possibly imagine! Especially if you are rowing.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #42
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Be nonchalant and act like nothing is unusual/unexpected.* Tie the bitter end to the boat/shore line, proceed to the boat, let out more anchor rode (or get more rope), then return to take the bitter end to the boat.* Deny observors any ranting and raving.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 AM   #43

City: Camden, Maine
Vessel Name: Willie Dawes
Vessel Model: Newburyport 37

Better yet,**

While you are having trouble getting back to the stern of the boat,* stop and chat with a neighboring boat,** maybe even have a cocktail with them,** further backing your non-challance.**

All the while your boat,* partially anchored swings wildly away from shore.

Carry a pen with you , as when you do get back to the boat,* partially inebriated,* you will probably be met with divorce papers.

Once aboard,* follow with more drink.

Dan
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Now you're getting to part of the reason that I started this thread - the chafe gear. I'm one of those who take the stern tie to shore and back so that I can simply release the tie from the cleat on the ship and just stay aboard and real it all back in.

My question regarding the chafe gear was in finding something that would slide on the stern tie rope while staying in position on the rock or tree. Rings I have no problem with as the rope slides fine on its own. Most trees are the same but I like to position a chafe guard more for the tree bark protection. Rocks and logs with barnacles are my concern here.

I use to use a old piece of (white) ~1 1/2 hose. It worked great - with regard to sliding the line. I would get ashore and coil what I thought I'd need to get back and if I was short I could easily pull some extra line through it to get back to the boat in my old dink (rowing). Problem was that If I put something at the bitter end to get the hose home it caused the end to sink, often times catching on something. So my question to all here was if anyone came across a hose material that has (on the inside of the hose) a very low viscosity material that would allow for a "slightly smaller diameter rope" to pass through easily?

The bitter end of the rope is whipped without a thimble - into the size of a small loop so that I can pass a carabineer through the loop and also use the shore tie line as the dingy painter. Then when I do the stern tie I remove the carabineer so that it doesn't snag. My goal is to find a hose small enough that the whipping would not pass through.
carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #45
Guru

For those who don't stern tie, I thought I'd give you a glimpse into the world you're missing!
Attached Thumbnails
dsc_0465.jpg  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #46
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Here it is GA style!

boat furthest to port is our previous sedan....little bit different style boat than our trawler!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #47
Guru

Great image Woodsong! Was the raft also hanging off a single anchor?*

I failed to mention that my photo was taken in Pendrell Sound while I was searching for Keith's elusive mermaid. Just have to go back next summer I guess.