Stern thrusters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Il mare

We purchased a 60’ DeFever that was originally a 52’ and had an 8’ cockpit added. The props were never extended to the 60’ making the turning response a little lack. A Vetus 250 has been recommended to go along with our Vetus 160 bow thruster. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Seems to be a good choice. Get the batteries as close as possible to the thruster

We added a stern thruster several years ago and love it. I am not familiar with Vetus models, but whatever model they recommend go 1 size larger. The cost difference won’t be that much and you will never be unhappy that you have more power but you will be unhappy if you don’t have enough power. Use oversize cables and have the run short as previously mentioned. Are you going to install it yourself? We did ours in 2 days, not a terribly difficult job.

Stern thruster may be fun around the docks, but your real concern should be steering response at speed, especially in a quartering or following sea. Boats with stern extensions are notoriously bad this way; I know for sure because I have one. You may want to investigate a second rudder and / or sketch or fins to maintain directional stability.

Was a naval architect involved in the extension project? If so I would get in touch to get their input.

Just curious, how is it in a following sea?

pete

4946FA79-9A54-48FB-8D36-978FE21C35F3.jpg

BA438C49-6ACE-4095-91A9-8BE03DA0FB38.jpg

Just finish mine

I agree with the folks pointing out that following seas are the big issue when that is done. Stern thruster won't help you there. You really don't lose much in close quarters maneuvering, at least on the boats I've seen with extensions... a lot of old Hatteras's had aftermarket extensions back in the day.

My 49RPH (no cockpit extension) is not very responsive turning with mains only either-which I attribute to combination of full keel, 67K displacement & fairly low idle. I have Sidepower bow & stern thrusters which make it the easiest boat to dock I have ever owned. My wife talked me into adding the remote dongle after watching Herb Seaton use them to single hand the Great Loop with his 52' Even standing on the dock-need to tighten a line against wind or current-just push a button rather than struggling with the dock line. I have 2x8d AGMs for 24v immediately adjacent to each thruster. I can hold against approx 4 knts side current for a short while.

Folks, please read the OP's post carefully. Experiences with boats not extended as he described are pretty irrelevant to his boat and stated issue.

Il Mare

We brought her to CT Last season up the ICW and have only experienced mild following seas.
A follow up question, has anyone utilized the hydraulic system of the Naiaid stabilizers to run a hydraulic thruster system?

A follow up question, has anyone utilized the hydraulic system of the Naiaid stabilizers to run a hydraulic thruster system?
I don't see "why not." The possibility of needing a thruster and stabilizers at exactly the same time is remote. It's just a matter of selecting (shuttle valve, etc.) the system you want the hydraulics to operate.:blush:

It’s also a matter of the pressure and flow volume of the Naiad pump being compatible with the Vetus thruster motor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom