Steel vs fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steel rust, fiberglass blisters, wood rots and aluminium corrodes.

When my budget limited me to old wooden boats I couldn't wait until I could afford a metal or fiberglass boat. Less maintenance, don't you know..

Don't believe it. I honestly think fiberglass or steel or aluminum are just as maintenance intense.

pete

Aluminum, because that’s what they make planes from...:popcorn:

In a collision? I think I’ll go with steel. What did I win?

In a collision? I think I’ll go with steel. What did I win?

Especially when one adds a quarter inch of stainless steel to the bow.

Attachments

• coot hull.jpe
    coot hull.jpe
    48.1 KB · Views: 132
Ferrocement. SS Palo Alto

To the OP. Observe what most recreational boats are made of and you'll have your answer.

Attachments

• concrete-ships-12[6].jpg
    concrete-ships-12[6].jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 104
Any thoughts on steel hulls vs fiberglass
I've owned both. Neither are maintenance free. The smaller the boat, the more likely I would be to go with fiberglass. Over 50', I would start learning more towards steel. If I were purchasing new, I could be more comfortable with steel. I would be more comfortable with fiberglass if purchasing an older (25+ years) boat. For salt water, I would prefer fiberglass. In colder freshwater, I could be happy with either.

Imo, if you have experience with one material over another and plan to do maintenance or possibly fabrication yourself, I could see picking wood, steel, fiberglass, or aluminum. When I owned my steel boat 30 years ago, I was more proficient with welding and didn't mind sandblasting and painting. From a maintenance standpoint, as I was doing most of the work myself, the materials cost were reasonable and overall maintenance cost were inexpensive. I've never been as proficient with fiberglass, so overall maintenance costs which include lots of labor, are much higher.

Ted

If you are a troll, what bridge do you live under?

If you are not, please know that I have been asking myself the same question in my search for a new boat. Where are you? What are you looking for? What is your budget? How long do you plan to own the boat? Do you work on your own boat, and if so, what is your level of experience with these materials?

I am surprised how little regard the steel boats seem to get from experienced people on this forum. Many of whom have not owned a steel trawler, but seem to have worked on steel boats at some point in their past. A newer steel boat covered in modern coatings and used in fresh water would be of far less concern to me than an older one used in salt. My area is filled with steel tug boats form the teens and twenties. (fresh water) (thick plate). My area is also filled with moisture damaged composite trawlers from the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

You can hear many opinions good and bad regarding all materials used in boat construction. If you answer the questions I asked you might get more useful responses. You also may not. Bill

All boats over 20 meters "should" be built out of steel.

If you want to see what it is like to get a small, low-cost steel trawler seaworthy again, look up "Dangar Marine Steel Trawler" on youtube from down under. It is entertaining and it completely cured me of my soft spot for cheap steel boats.

If you want to see what it is like to get a small, low-cost steel trawler seaworthy again, look up "Dangar Marine Steel Trawler" on youtube from down under. It is entertaining and it completely cured me of my soft spot for cheap steel boats.

Don’t forget Stewart (from Dangar) chose a boat in that condition on purpose, so he had the chance to show his work on you tube, to have material for his episodes. I’m a fan and a follower of his channel and I remember him explaining all that. Same for his amazing Detroit engine. The condition of that boat when he purchased it was really bad, I think he spent 7000 Australian dollars for that if I don’t remember wrong!

I pretty sure I have ZERO interest in a low cost steel boat. Actually, a low cost any material boat. I have been paying attention here , “ the most expensive boat in the harbor is the cheapest to own”. “ You get what you pay for” and “there is no free lunch” applies almost universally. Notable exceptions being principally related to the other sex. Merry Christmas. Bill

We bought our 52' steel trawler almost 4 years ago and have lived on it year-round for over 3 years. We love the strength of it - can't imagine ever being in conditions that would be in any way threatening to the boat. Love the fact that if we ever slam into something, we're not going to the bottom. Don't love the endless small rust repairs that are necessary (it's a 17 y.o. boat).

We didn't set out to buy a steel boat, it was simply the one that fit most of our desires. If we were to do it again, I would buy this boat, unless a similar quality fiberglass boat with all the same features were available, and then I don't think the hull material would matter much in the decision.

I used to give seminars for PassageMaker Magazine comparing the various hull materials. As part of my research, I sent a survey to my steel trawler owners, current then and previous owners. Out of the approximately 30 surveys I got back, one question that was most significance was, "If you were to buy another boat, would you buy a steel yacht again or would you consider fiberglass?" All but one said they would buy a steel yacht again; the single hold-out said he would prefer steel but would consider fiberglass.

I have sold approximately 200 trawlers at this point and perhaps 50 of those sales have been steel. I've never had a client sorry they bought steel. I have a long list of "survival" stories where the owner attributed their steel hull to have spared either life and/or vessel.

No slower than a full displacement fiberglass hull.

Wifey B: Full displacement = slow. :rofl:

But I know many like slow, just not my style. On boat right now cruising at 35 knots as I type. Beautiful day in South Florida as seas have finally calmed again. :)

Your point though is that the weight of steel isn't a negative for a full displacement boat and many find then the other advantages offset the other disadvantages.

Now a question for you Judy, in today's world and market how does the escalation of costs compare on the raw materials of steel vs. glass? :confused:

Wifey B: Full displacement = slow. :rofl:

...Your point though is that the weight of steel isn't a negative for a full displacement boat and many find then the other advantages offset the other disadvantages.

Now a question for you Judy, in today's world and market how does the escalation of costs compare on the raw materials of steel vs. glass? :confused:

Sorry, B&B, cost of raw materials isn't my area of expertise; however, steel yachts are usually cheaper to build. For starters, no marketing expenses, no sales offices, no resale prices to uphold the market's perceived value. Each boat is custom built, even if there are prototypes, so changes aren't expensive and customization is "free." For brokerage boats, the price is usually lower based on supply and demand. So with there being a lesser population of those interested in steel trawlers, you get more bang/boat for the buck. And yes, the weight of a steel hull automatically adds ballast. Most steel boats are stable based on their hull form and not in need of active fins or gyros for stability.

... steel yachts are usually cheaper to build.

Not what I’ve found.

Having received many bids from shipyards to build a boat, I’ve found that steel is much higher for hull cost compared to fiberglass from a standard mold. Custom fiberglass would be wacky crazy in price.

Every shipyard uses CNC cut steel which reduces labor and increases quality, but it’s still considered a custom build.

To give you an idea, my pricing received for a custom 50ft steel is about the same as a 65ft fiberglass from a fishing boat mold using vacuum resin infusion.

Plus/minus 10% at most.

It's not so much the material as it is build quality, junk is junk no matter what it's made of.

In the US a steel boat for recreation is usually done because a Custom steel boat is easier and cheaper to build than a custom GRP boat..

The plastic boats are built to mass market to the general public , mostly for inshore or coastal use.

Weather the specific steel build meets the next owners desirements is a big question, however it only takes one understanding buyer , which may take longer to find.

In the US a steel boat for recreation is usually done because a Custom steel boat is easier and cheaper to build than a custom GRP boat..

The plastic boats are built to mass market to the general public , mostly for inshore or coastal use.

Weather the specific steel build meets the next owners desirements is a big question, however it only takes one understanding buyer , which may take longer to find.

There's literally thousands of offshore boats made from GRP although I agree there's many more inshore boats. This is a function of market rather than material. As to custom boats it's true that if you need to build a mold first it's sort of like building two hulls for GRP but one can easily buy a hull and have it done however they wish, as is commonly done with lobsterboat hulls. One can also build a one of by using Airex or any of the other engineered planking. While it may be relatively inexpensive to weld up a steel hull the expense is dependent on complexity. If you want curves and some nice shape it'll cost. Another large expense is coatings which are more labor intensive and expensive as well as needing larger quantities for steel. As a hull is commonly only 20-30% of building a boat being cheaper is more a function of quality and finish than material.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom