Old 08-18-2017, 05:15 AM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If your roll has become slower, be careful all the "weight too high in the boat" soothsayers will be in droves telling you your boat is too top heavy and you will roll over someday and die.

Were they there when you discussed putting the mast on to begin with?

Now dont actually let them fill with too much wind as you are already cheepating death!!!

All kidcing aside, nice! Getting rid of roll is one of my dreams for my boat too.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
You could see that one coming.

I wouldn't recommend a human preventer, but s simple line from a midship cleat to the boom will work.

Hey I must be learning-- I actually did tie up the boom at one point to a cleat as a preventer. It was pretty hillbilly looking but seemed to work.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #23
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Is the sailing version of this boat similar or changes in keel/ ballast ?

And this comment is not to rain on your parade, but would it have been more cost effective to buy a sailboat (cockpit style) that would sail really well.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #24
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Steadying sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Is the sailing version of this boat similar or changes in keel/ ballast ?

And this comment is not to rain on your parade, but would it have been more cost effective to buy a sailboat (cockpit style) that would sail really well.

This boat has the same keel design as the sailing version, but with 500 lbs less weight in the keel according to the manufacturer.

This wasn't a finance-driven decision. Yes, it would have been more cost effective to have sold this boat and bought a sailboat. However, in my defense, I didn't want a sailboat where I had to sit outside in the sun/heat all day-- that doesn't interest me. I did search for late model pilothouse boats, or older pilothouse models that were updated, but I never found exactly what I wanted. Also, I'm not super patient and didn't want to wait a year or so while this boat sat on the market. I've been thinking about doing this for about two years, so one evening, after some rum [emoji57], I just decided to do it.

Speaking financially, I actually think that for the right buyer, if my wife ever makes us get a bigger boat, there was some definite value added by this project. The boat is much more capable to go longer distances because it is now comfortable in bigger seas, where before it was basically unusable due to the roll in anything over 2-3'. Maybe it would appeal to older sailors who don't want to sit outside and cook while underway, or who physically can't pull lines anymore (my boat has an electric winch). There is no way I will get all (any?) of the money out I spent, but I can live with that. I will get some satisfaction out of using it, and I had fun with the project.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #25
Guru

City: LI or Fla
I hear ya, and happy you could dial in the boat that best suits your desires and when it comes to boats, nothing is financially sound LOL!!

All the best and thanks for sharing
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote