Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
This could actually be a real game changer for those who are in remote areas such as Alaska and Canada.

Right now the only service option for us is KVH Mini Vsat service.
The new HTS system from KVH uses a spot beam plus traditional KU band coverage.

The challenge is that KVH is retiring service for legacy systems at the end of this year, meaning that we have to replace our hardware. Even though KVH is offering a discount on the new hardware, the $9500 upgrade cost is pretty costly.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #3

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Sunrise
Vessel Model: Gemini 105mc
I'd check out Steve Mitchell's review at

https://seabits.com/starlink-is-not-...your-boat-yet/

The Brockerts
The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Another launch tonight 9:58 pm. They certainly have been busy.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I have signed up for it both here in rural North Carolina (trees may be an issue here) and at our place on the rural Sonoma Coast in California, both horrifically underserved. They are saying they will be live in both spots sometime in the 6 -12 month time frame.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 420 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brockerts View Post
I'd check out Steve Mitchell's review at

https://seabits.com/starlink-is-not-...your-boat-yet/

The Brockerts
Thanks for posting my article

Starlink will definitely be a game changer when we get a mobile version. They filed for FCC approval of that earlier this week, but we're still a ways away before it will be available to the general public.

Even beta testers of the current setup have had less-than-perfect experiences, so there's a lot of tuning and improvement to come. The good news is that they can make updates, and have a very flexible platform that they can build on.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:23 PM   #7

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 420 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The challenge is that KVH is retiring service for legacy systems at the end of this year, meaning that we have to replace our hardware. Even though KVH is offering a discount on the new hardware, the $9500 upgrade cost is pretty costly.
I have a few customers in the same situation. Are you considering the upgrade, and if so, which unit are you thinking of moving to?
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
I have a few customers in the same situation. Are you considering the upgrade, and if so, which unit are you thinking of moving to?
Right now I have a V3 mini Vsat circa 2011

I'll be moving to the V3-HTS.

I'm not happy about buying new hardware at that price point but I don't really have a good alternative. No doubt the new system will work better and faster though.

In my current cruising grounds cellular is getting better but still does not serve much of the area.

The way my system is deployed is that we have two different cellular carriers with the satellite as a last resort.

Communications are not an option for us, We are a mom and pop business and while not all that "busy", our clients expect that we are generally reachable via email and or telephone.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Another launch tonight 9:58 pm. They certainly have been busy.
Yep. I think it is still "go".

If you are on the SE coast, you can see the re-entry burn a few minutes after launch. Barge is sorta due east of Charleston.

From our house on NC coast we look south and can see it clearly. At same time can see second stage overhead.

You Florida boys get a much better show!
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yep. I think it is still "go".

If you are on the SE coast, you can see the re-entry burn a few minutes after launch. Barge is sorta due east of Charleston.

From our house on NC coast we look south and can see it clearly. At same time can see second stage overhead.

You Florida boys get a much better show!
Postponed until Friday morning.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:12 AM   #11
FF
Guru

I would caution anyone on purchasing a long term contract .

There are currently at least 1/2 dozen sat launchers that each will be using about 1,000 - 1500 sats .

The price competition should be fierce when they all get operational.

Caviat Emptor.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #12

City: Malletts Bay, Vermont
I work remotely from my house. I plan on moving aboard full time if StarLink works out. I can work from anywhere. Fingers crossed.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Maybe new info?

https://youtu.be/_Q9fqCXrT3E
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #14

City: NE Florida
with all these satellites going into orbit, I wonder how we're going to get out for our trip to the moon and Mars without hitting a few.....
skyhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
with all these satellites going into orbit, I wonder how we're going to get out for our trip to the moon and Mars without hitting a few.....
Mount a few laser cannons, no worries...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #16
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Starlink needs approx 15000 sats to have full coverage. Each launch drops 60 into orbit. So it will be quite some time before they are a full go. Probably be mid decade

Amazon wants to launch 12000 for their service and OneWeb 3000. They will likely be towards the end of the decade.

Keep in mind:

Due to the low orbit these satellites are visible in the night sky. So while we will have great internet our view of the nighttime sky will be interrupted. The astronomy sector is actively concerned about this.
Also these satellites are not in fixed orbit which means the potential (while slight) for a collision is greatly increased with the more satellites that are up there. This would create a potential chain event where more sats are damaged by debris.
Plus is concern about how these low earth birds will impact the signal from fixed (Directv) or medium (GPS) which are in higher orbit.
There are a number of petitions at the FCC that are ongoing. While I think they will all be addressed there are downsides to this technology that are being considered despite its potential benefit.

It will be interesting watching this technology evolve.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #17
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollygag1 View Post
Starlink needs approx 15000 sats to have full coverage. Each launch drops 60 into orbit. So it will be quite some time before they are a full go. Probably be mid decade

Amazon wants to launch 12000 for their service and OneWeb 3000. They will likely be towards the end of the decade.

Keep in mind:

Due to the low orbit these satellites are visible in the night sky. So while we will have great internet our view of the nighttime sky will be interrupted. The astronomy sector is actively concerned about this.
Also these satellites are not in fixed orbit which means the potential (while slight) for a collision is greatly increased with the more satellites that are up there. This would create a potential chain event where more sats are damaged by debris.
Plus is concern about how these low earth birds will impact the signal from fixed (Directv) or medium (GPS) which are in higher orbit.
There are a number of petitions at the FCC that are ongoing. While I think they will all be addressed there are downsides to this technology that are being considered despite its potential benefit.

It will be interesting watching this technology evolve.
At their altitude, any satellites won't stay there long without power to the Ion drive. Unline higher orbit satellites, they are still within the pull of gravity and will quickly fall from orbit in the event of a problem. They won't be space junk for long. they are designed to burn up most of their components in re-entry, so you won't need your skylab protection hard hat for them.

In fact, spacex has already de-orbited over 60 of the first satellites and replaced them with newer satellites. Even the satellites that went up night before last don't have the final design which allows them to communicate with each other which is the real game changer. Once you have sat to sat hops, you don't need all the ground stations they're installing all over.

I have a theory that he who gets there first will dominate the market, and probably, Spacex will lease bandwith to other carriers, rather than face the problem of having competitive spacecraft in the same orbital planes. So, I think Spacex will use their low cost launch vehicles to fill up the network with satellites and then FCC will tell Spacex to work out an agreement with the other would-be competitors. Just a theory...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:09 PM   #18
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
https://satellitemap.space/#

Use this website to see where the Starlink satellites are right now...

If you see a bunch of satellites in a chain, those are newly launched satellites that have not moved to their orbits yet and are slowly spacing out to move to their assigned orbit window. The ion drive on each satellite is very weak, but if it is powered, it will slowly accelerate or deccelerate the satellite to the assigned orbit window.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
I believe Amazon and One Web already have approval to deploy. SpaceX will get there first but the others may not be direct competition rather focus on niche applications.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Lollygag touched on the big outstanding unknown with Starlink, One Web, Kuiper (Amazon), and Telesat. That unknown is how they share spectrum (radio frequencies) with each other as as other users of that spectrum. Being there first doesn’t mean much other than market share. In the US my understanding all four are equal. In that respect Starlink and One Web use the Ku band to communicate with customers and Ka band to communicate with gateways. Telesat and Kuiper use Ka band for both. They have to deconflict with each other and not adversely impact other users in Ku band like DISH and DirecTV and Ka band like some 5G cellular operations and existing services like Hughes and Viasat. They may not be able to use all the spectrum they think they have or may not be able to use it the way they would like. In the end they will lose capacity or in laymen’s terms, the case of beer they bought might be short a few cans.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote