Stairs & Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Retriever

Vessel Name
Bay Retriever
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
I am looking for advice about whether and how best to cover the stairs on my 2004 Mainship 400 to help my yellow lab to get safely up and down.

When she was a puppy, she was able to go up and down. Now that she’s just over a year old, even with the non skid, she shows no interest following me up. I have thought that indoor/outdoor carpet could be helpful.

Not wanting to make any mistakes, just wondering how other dog loving boat owners view this issue and what solutions they’ve found. Please send pics and links if possible.

Many thanks in advance

T MacDonnell & Kiwi
Bay Retriever
2004 MS 400
IMG_4464.jpg

We didn't cover our non-skid stairs with anything... and neither the first nor the second Golden Receiver had any problems with it. And I'd guess Labs are slightly more agile.

I suspect I'd just go up there with some water and treats, and she'd get there.

-Chris

Wn we adopted our 55lb Sharpie/Boxer/+ at age 1-1/2 she

had evidently never seen a stairway. She wouldn't go upstairs in our 2-story home until we pushed-guided-lifted her up one stair at a time. After that first trip up, she ran down two stairs at a time and never had a problem after that, going up or down. Those household stairs are carpeted, however, we have a bare wood stairway for our boat entry and egress in campgrounds because the deck is 6' above ground, and no prob there either.

We put SeaDek on the steps to our flybridge. You can buy a piece of it and cut to the size needed. It is peel and stick so it is simple to apply. Holds up very well.

If your stairs are what i have seen in the past they are really steep. Now that she is larger her back feet will be considerably higher then the front so she needs confidence her front feet are solidly planted. Likely she had a mishap and now needs to work through it. A darker color may help give contrast. I would slowly work with her on leash to rebuilt her confidence.

Nice looking Lab.

Our pup won't negotiate the stairs on our MS either. He waits at the top or bottom to be carried, which is not too bad at 25 pounds. He scampered up and down the carpeted steps on our Silverton 312, which were narrower and steeper so I think the issue might be traction. I think he is afraid to slip off.

There's a guy on the MS Facebook group that has a MS and made the templates for the steps and sells some form of decking with sticky backing that fits the steps. He sells for $250 for the set. I haven't bought them as yet, but might down the road. Or I might just buy a roll of the stuff and template it myself.

The picture is for the 350/390 but he also has the template for a 400.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 45
Our pup won't negotiate the stairs on our MS either. He waits at the top or bottom to be carried, which is not too bad at 25 pounds. He scampered up and down the carpeted steps on our Silverton 312, which were narrower and steeper so I think the issue might be traction. I think he is afraid to slip off.

There's a guy on the MS Facebook group that has a MS and made the templates for the steps and sells some form of decking with sticky backing that fits the steps. He sells for $250 for the set. I haven't bought them as yet, but might down the road. Or I might just buy a roll of the stuff and template it myself.

The picture is for the 350/390 but he also has the template for a 400.

That looks like SeaDeck. It is pretty nice. It is very durable.

We have carpet squares (actually rectangles) on our three sets of stairs. They were originally fixed with some sticky stuff which all had to come off when we revarnished the PH and stairwell to the cabins.

We took the old pieces down to a carpet shop and had them make new ones. We then got the carpet nonslip material from Home Depot and cut it to match the carpet. It stays in place pretty well. This serves two purposes, helps the dog and protects the woodwork, without needing glued.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/nuLOOM-Non-Slip-Comfort-Grip-8-ft-x-10-ft-Rug-Pad-JAPD1A-76098/300120307

Last edited:
Like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_104145129_copy_768x1024.jpg
    IMG_20200623_104145129_copy_768x1024.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom