Stainless refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freespool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Offshore 62
Hello all,

I need to replace the stand up refrigerator on my boat. I am curious as to your experience with stainless steel refers. I purchased a cheap stainless microwave and it was a constant chore to polish the rust from the cowling due to the low grade of stainless. I want to make sure I do not encounter the same thing with a large refer. Any advice?

Are you looking at a 12 volt or a household type? We have a 12/120 volt Vitrifugo refer that has held up well. The stainless steel looks great. It didn’t cool very well when we bought the boat. I added a low and a high vent and a 12 volt 50 mAmp fan blowing air into the bottom. Now it cools great. Also use a small RV fan inside the refer to move the air around which hepls a lot.

Based on your boat I'm assuming you are replacing a full size, 120V fridge. We have almost a year with our new LG and have not had any hint of rust issues. Granted that's not all that long in the grand scheme of things but we've spent a good deal of time in salt air environments that would likely have tested it.

For what it's worth, the fridge itself has been terrific. Our choices were limited based on measurements but we've been very pleased so far. We got one with the door-in-door configuration which, for us, is a nice feature for a boat. You can reach in for a beverage without opening the main section of the fridge and letting the cold out. I know, not that big a deal, but something does feel good about it.

Thanks for the replies. To clarify, this is a 110 (no 12 volt) large stand up galley fridge. It is similar in size to what you have in your house.

Back
Top Bottom