Stainless Railing Repair/Fabrication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raymond.goff

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Liberty 2
Vessel Make
DeFever 43
I am in need of repair or new fabrication of bow railing and flybridge railings.

Question:
Any one in midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky) know of any good fabricators?

Or, anyone used someone not local with good success?

I figured I'd ask as I call all location places as well. Being in Cincinnati, I don't have same options as folks on the coasts.

Ray

Having worked in a dairy for many years and welded stainless tube and pipe using a tig welder, I might look to your local dairy maintenance department for advice for who they use to do their stainless work. These stainless guys usually do not limit themselves to dairy work only and would likely make up or repair your railing for a reasonable price. Just a thought. Good luck.

Allan has a good suggestion. Also ask or specify which grade stainless they use or you want. All grades of SS are not created equal. 316 is a good quality for most marine applications but may not be available, off the shelf, in your area.

There's a marine fabricator named Klacko in Ontario close to Buffalo. They've been doing OEM and custom marine stainless work for decades and they have a very good reputation. They have lots of pictures on their web site. Klacko.ca

Bit of a hassle dealing across the border but the loonie is cheap right now.

Washington Marine in Cincinnati

Be sure to have strong connections to the hull. Recommend rail diameter greater than one inch on the vertical posts and top rail. Wiggly rails do not provide confidence.

Washington Marine told me tHey are too busy and won't even consider until spring.

Aluminum is not as polished , but works as well, and may be easier to have fabricated.

Be sure to have strong connections to the hull. Recommend rail diameter greater than one inch on the vertical posts and top rail. Wiggly rails do not provide confidence.

Agreed, good advice. All my rails and uprights are 1-1/4" diameter. Much stiffer and more robust.

In addition to the dairy folks you might consider a restaurant equipment fabricator.

I have seen absolutely fabulous fabrications from those guys

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom