Old 12-09-2018, 01:46 AM   #101

City: Green Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Looks fragile.
Long leverage arm and many moving parts.
Looks a bit less fragile in this installation.

https://cache.apolloduck.com/image_bin/x/440193.jpg?

The small ship is an 80 ft, 23.92m converted, Swedish, ice capable rescue boat.

With no personal experience I have to say the electrically powered, small drive units, flexible installation positioning, including single unit to dual pair, variable positioning based on speed ("adaptive rake"), zero speed capability of the rolling fins looks pretty darn good.

Here's a link to their commercial page which is more pulled together than the recreational site.

https://quantumstabilizers.com/maglift/
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 AM   #102
FF
Guru

"Should I just call t he local rigger and say fix me up with everything, and is it really worth it? (staysail)"

If you are at a marina it should be easy to borrow a sail to try out from one of the sailboats there.

Just measure the hoist you can use and measure their sail is shorter before borrowing it.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #103
Veteran Member

City: Las Palmas Gran Canaria canary Islands
Vessel Name: BALDER VIII
Vessel Model: North Sea Trawler 57' OC
Hello,
I would like to congratulate and thank you for all the videos you have posted concerning your refit. Here in Canary Island, Lanzarote where I am berthed with my North Sea Trawler 57 BALDER VIII,I obliged a local technician to watch it to help me explaining what I need as a back up to my hydraulic Keypower stabs. We plan to cross next year and I will not do the 2000 nm trip without paravanes and fish.
My boat is fully loaded more or less 60 metric tons in very strong steel. The guys here want to build my paravanes in stainless steel tube 90mm diameter, length 6meters. I am afraid about the weight.....
balder8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #104
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that this message was dedicated to Sea Venture!
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #105

A set of paravane fish for sale if anyone in the PNW is looking: https://bellingham.craigslist.org/bp...776687057.html

(I donít know seller, only saw the ad.)
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #106
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by balder8 View Post
Hello,
I would like to congratulate and thank you for all the videos you have posted concerning your refit. Here in Canary Island, Lanzarote where I am berthed with my North Sea Trawler 57 BALDER VIII,I obliged a local technician to watch it to help me explaining what I need as a back up to my hydraulic Keypower stabs. We plan to cross next year and I will not do the 2000 nm trip without paravanes and fish.
My boat is fully loaded more or less 60 metric tons in very strong steel. The guys here want to build my paravanes in stainless steel tube 90mm diameter, length 6meters. I am afraid about the weight.....
I'm confused by this thread, as to who is doing what, with what.

1st question, 2,000 nm to where?
2nd , what kind of paravanes do you have or are contemplating?

Richard

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I'm confused by this thread, as to who is doing what, with what.

1st question, 2,000 nm to where?
2nd , what kind of paravanes do you have or are contemplating?

Richard
I am talking about the videos posted on youtube by Seaventures who did a very serious work on his trawler.( title 'myrefit is done") This an aluminium structure with an A frame and a crow nest.
Second question, 2000nm, is more or less the distance I will sail from Canary Islands to Caribean.
Iam confident with my KEYPOWER hydraulics stabs but I prefer have a plan B, basic system like paravanes and rig, like Robert Beebe discribed it in his book.
As I explained in my message, sorry with broken english, paravanes stabilizers are not very known in Europe and more oftenly considered as a bad idea or wrong concept, too much weight in the height, commercial look, ugly rig etc..
Considering my trawler, I am not afraid to add these paravanes if they are efficient, my only concern, find the right people to imagine the all the system and install it on my steel boat in the most solid location on the flybridge.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #108
Dauntless Award

Quote:
I am talking about the videos posted on youtube by Seaventures who did a very serious work on his trawler.( title 'myrefit is done") This an aluminium structure with an A frame and a crow nest.
Second question, 2000nm, is more or less the distance I will sail from Canary Islands to Caribean.
Iam confident with my KEYPOWER hydraulics stabs but I prefer have a plan B, basic system like paravanes and rig, like Robert Beebe discribed it in his book.
As I explained in my message, sorry with broken english, paravanes stabilizers are not very known in Europe and more oftenly considered as a bad idea or wrong concept, too much weight in the height, commercial look, ugly rig etc..
Considering my trawler, I am not afraid to add these paravanes if they are efficient, my only concern, find the right people to imagine the all the system and install it on my steel boat in the most solid location on the flybridge.
Ok
Thanks.

2,000 miles won't get you to the Caribbean, it's more like 2700 nm from Hiero, or whatever that western most island is called.

My paravane rig is neither top heavy nor bulky and is easy to modify.

Details are on one of my blog posts.

Blog:
Old 12-25-2018, 07:39 AM   #109
FF
Guru

In GB the purpose of most bilge keels is so the vessel can be aground , frequently on a mooring, and stay upright.

With deep tides it makes sense.

Perhaps the addition of bilge keels would make more financial sense if upright was a useful task.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Ok
Thanks.

2,000 miles won't get you to the Caribbean, it's more like 2700 nm from Hiero, or whatever that western most island is called.

My paravane rig is neither top heavy nor bulky and is easy to modify.

Details are on one of my blog posts.
Distance between capo verde mindelo to barbados is around 2100 nm. I did this passage 30 yearscago with my beloved ketch Fisher Balder IV...
Old 12-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #111
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
I am talking about the videos posted on youtube by Seaventures who did a very serious work on his trawler.( title 'myrefit is done") This an aluminium structure with an A frame and a crow nest..

Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #112

City: Everett, Washington
Vessel Name: Sea Venture
Vessel Model: 54' Cheoy Lee LRT
Quote:
Hello,

Hi,

Just saw your post. Thanks, and we are glad the refit series on our paravane system was helpful.

If you have any other questions, or if there is anything other information that might help, feel free to email us at cruisingseaventure@gmail.com

Happy cruising,
Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Cruising Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #113
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
This Vid “How it’s made” on the machining and assembly of the Seakeeper Gyros recently came out. 10 mins long. Interesting to watch if you enjoy seeing stuff get made.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2...hx-bwh6ic_Q&e=
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #114
Dauntless Award

Quote:

Distance between capo verde mindelo to barbados is around 2100 nm. I did this passage 30 yearscago with my beloved ketch Fisher Balder IV...
Oh, well you said, Canaries, but you meant Cape Verde Islands.
Watch out for pirates.

Blog:
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #115
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #116

City: Holland
Smile MagnusMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post
Looks a bit less fragile in this installation.

https://cache.apolloduck.com/image_bin/x/440193.jpg?

The small ship is an 80 ft, 23.92m converted, Swedish, ice capable rescue boat.

With no personal experience I have to say the electrically powered, small drive units, flexible installation positioning, including single unit to dual pair, variable positioning based on speed ("adaptive rake"), zero speed capability of the rolling fins looks pretty darn good.

Here's a link to their commercial page which is more pulled together than the recreational site.

https://quantumstabilizers.com/maglift/
Hi MRRilley,

System installed is the MagnusMaster system from DMS Holland (DMSHolland.com)
Rens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fins, gyro, naiad, paravane, stabilizer, stabilizers, stabilizing