Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #81
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmex99 View Post
I can only guess based on a short period when my fins had to be pinned to straight while I repaired a bolt housing on the arm actuator. I noticed that my fuel use increased 5-10% without the fins being active. Interesting to note as well that the inactive fins still helped to prevent roll although less than when they were active. A friend once told me that once you have stabilizers you will never want a boat without them. He was correct.
Thanks for the response. My fuel flow meter is analog, so it is hard for me to detect small changes, but your experience confirms what I suspected was the case. Makes sense I suppose, since trawler hulls are generally not designed to be efficient with heel angle induced like sailboat hulls are. Robert Beebe thought that some form of stabilization was essential for any vessel that navigates in blue water. Many boats that are called trawlers are not designed/intended/used for that duty, so probably don't need them, but for ocean work I have to agree with Mr. Beebe. Plus it's nice to arrive at your destination relaxed rather than having felt like you just went through the spin cycle at the laundromat.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #82
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
NAIAD maintain that, except in dead calm conditions, active fin stabilizers actually INCREASE speed through water somewhat. They say stabilizers reduce the wetted surface area of the hull relative to what it would be if rolling and that around a 0.5kt gain is not unusual. In dead flat conditions, a 0.5kt penalty.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #83

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Still Sibsie
Vessel Model: 42' Bristol Trawler
Mark, I was told by a Bristol trawler in CT that a stay sail kept him from rolling too much. I have the same mast and boom he has but no sail. Should I just call t he local rigger and say fix me up with everything, and is it really worth it?
Steve
Old 08-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #84
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Just to add our 2 cents-we have the ABT Trac, 9.5 sqft on a 58', 50 ton boat. They are are great, and as noted, once you have them, you will not want to go without. Very reliable, ABT has the ability to work when the boat is at rest, but we did not see the need to upgrade our system. One note on our installation compared to the Bayliner, we have twin keels, one for each shaft, so we can sit on the bottom without worying about damage to the fins. They do not extend beyond the waterline beam so no real damage issues there. With Mitsubishi not having any similar installations, and the fins, from any vendor, having a long solid history in your hull, I would be a bit leery over the gyro. I would have to be really convinced of a substantial performance difference over active fins to consider the gyro.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #85
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
For your choice

I thinking your idea of gyro it is a good choice because :
-you can't put a mast on your boat : no sails , no paravanes
- the Naïads always make a bigger drag and more consumption
- the gyro could work at anchor
- the gyro can't be hit by something , drag a net or rope
We have a hull with hard chine we have a great stability curve...and we roll with a very short period
Last year we added two "bilges" keels around 14' long and 10" wide, a 8m mast with
18 sqm main sail full battens ...it dampen , a litle the roll .(and we have already two sideboards !!)
On Setsail they show some films taken in bad weather and the ride looks good with over sized Naïad ....but unfortunately also over sized for my bank account
But gyro look good, if you can get 'background'.
On one boat we had Naïads it work well, but with all problems listed above : drag,consomption, possible 'trap' for roppe ,,net even bottom of a river side ...
If you choose Gyro please let know to us what happen , you are like a 'cobaye'
(side boards)
Dérives - Le blog de long-cours
(mast)
Mâture - Le blog de long-cours
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #86

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
I'm coming in at the end of this long thread, so these points may well have already been made.

Fins are availble for at rest or anchored conditions, such as Tracs.

Gyros are becoming more and more popular in the UK.

If thinking about locating a gyro in the lazarette, my concerns would be twofold. The first would be the twisting moment on the hull when in operation, and the second would be if the lazarette is the best position for the gyro. I've only ever seen them in apprx mid-ships positions.

That's my two cents-worth!

Cheers - Piers
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #87
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensibs View Post
Mark, I was told by a Bristol trawler in CT that a stay sail kept him from rolling too much. I have the same mast and boom he has but no sail. Should I just call t he local rigger and say fix me up with everything, and is it really worth it?
Steve

I have talked to a number of GB owners who have steady sails. They say they do a good job on a mooring or at anchor of keeping the boat headed into the wind and so usually the waves which reduces rolling.

But almost all of them say a steady sail of the size that can be carried on a GB's stock mast and boom is too small to to much of anything in the way of damping roll underway. And since the mast and stays are not made to take high sideloads, using the sail in stronger winds can, and has, resulted in the mast breaking (wood) or bending (aluminum) or breaking the stay securing hardware.

We considered the idea of adding a steady sail to our boat at one time, not because we find rolling a problem or even all that uncomfortable but just because it sounded like an interesting idea. But after talking to owners who have them we decided against it. On a mooring or at anchor in windy weather if the boat hunts enough to induce a rolling motion on top of the pitching motion we put out a stern anchor which I think does a better job than a steady sail anyway. And with the sail area that we would carry damping a roll underway would be almost unnoticeable and we could easily over-stress our mast and stays.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #88
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
You are right for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I have talked to a number of GB owners who have steady sails. They say they do a good job on a mooring or at anchor of keeping the boat headed into the wind and so usually the waves which reduces rolling.

But almost all of them say a steady sail of the size that can be carried on a GB's stock mast and boom is too small to to much of anything in the way of damping roll underway. And since the mast and stays are not made to take high sideloads, using the sail in stronger winds can, and has, resulted in the mast breaking (wood) or bending (aluminum) or breaking the stay securing hardware.

We considered the idea of adding a steady sail to our boat at one time, not because we find rolling a problem or even all that uncomfortable but just because it sounded like an interesting idea. But after talking to owners who have them we decided against it. On a mooring or at anchor in windy weather if the boat hunts enough to induce a rolling motion on top of the pitching motion we put out a stern anchor which I think does a better job than a steady sail anyway. And with the sail area that we would carry damping a roll underway would be almost unnoticeable and we could easily over-stress our mast and stays.
the size of the mast ! all the fitting must be strong enough (or stronger than necessary ) pilar, chain plate, section of the mast, diameter of the rigging and also the sail must be in heavy clooth , because our boat are heavy and generally we use sail in bad weather .
Also the sail must have some reefing system .
I have colleague owner of GB and also they say : the main problem is the roll (GB50 GB42 GB48 ) and they all fit stab
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #89
Veteran Member

City: brisbane
Have you considered the Seakeeper gyro? They have numerous examples on their website and only use about 2kW of power, thus much more efficient than the Mitsubishi

Seakeeper Website

The installation seems pretty compact too as per this Grand Banks example

http://www.seakeeper.com/images/inst...randbanks2.jpg
marcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #90
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
OLD THREAD BUMP***

Kevin: Sorry for resurrecting this but what did you finally go with and are you still happy? The 4788 is on my shortlist for my next possible boat (I'm actually viewing one today!). I don't think any of the Yachtworld 4788's are stabilized.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #91

City: Everett, Washington
Vessel Name: Sea Venture
Vessel Model: 54' Cheoy Lee LRT
We added a paravane system to our boat, which is a displacement trawler, but I do not think that is a viable option for Lisas Way. The paravane system requires a significant superstructure to have a system large enough to withstand the strain, and would not necessarily be less expense if correctly engineered. We do a lot of ocean travel and it reduced our roll from over 40 degrees each way to under 10 degrees in 10-12 foot beam seas. They work just as well at anchor.

We did look at gyro's as well, but at 45 tons, the smallest unit that would work was quite large. (36" x 36"). In doing our research the concerns we had about gyro's was the time to get up to speed, about 30 minutes of operation before they worked, and the fact that they required the generator to be running to operate, and they were not operator friendly if needing repairs. In your case, I'd also be a little concerned about the trim of the boat with the added weight in the stern.

Active fins are known commodity on boats your size. The downside is that, as you stated, they don't work at anchor. Our experience is that they become less and less effective as you drop below about 8 knots, since they are a rudder, and only work as good as the water flow going over the fins. I believe this is why they are also less effective in a following sea. They also create drag 100% of the time, whether being used or not. But flipping a switch and instantly on would be very nice.

Obviously, there is no simple solution, and whatever you do, there will be some significant compromises.

Of course, you could always trade the boat in and get a trawler! We spent 4 months this summer cruising throughout SE Alaska, with a good bit of time off the west coast of Baranof Island fishing with the paravanes in the water for days at a time. It was just fantastic.

Best of luck on your adventure -

Jim and Rosy Addington
M/V Sea Venture
Cruising Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #92
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

I do not know whether these are already in the US market, but an interesting idea vs gyro / wing stabilizer

RotorSwing introduces a true innovation in Yacht stabilisation – the Magnus Rotor. The state-of-the-art, retractable and electronically powered system provides a new performance level of stability control on Yachts up to 30 meters at a speed range of 0 to 25 knots. Our newest development is our patented Adaptive Rake™ with the positioning control function

https://rotorswing.com/

And funny video https://youtu.be/PFdEWdO1szs

I found old topic this rotorswing http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tem-12684.html

NBs

North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #93
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Jason, I am going to guess the 4788 will need an SK9 if you were to go the Gyro route. SK can do an analysis and they will show you the predicted roll reduction for various size units. Finding the space and the hull reinforcement for an existing boat will be the challenge, but I would think very doable for that size boat. As always, + and - with any decision. Personally, I felt the Gyro route was a better option for us when I was looking at stabilization.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #94
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Jason, I am going to guess the 4788 will need an SK9 if you were to go the Gyro route. SK can do an analysis and they will show you the predicted roll reduction for various size units. Finding the space and the hull reinforcement for an existing boat will be the challenge, but I would think very doable for that size boat. As always, + and - with any decision. Personally, I felt the Gyro route was a better option for us when I was looking at stabilization.

And how do you like it so far? Have you had fins before, and able to make a comparison?
Old 12-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #95
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Looks fragile.
Long leverage arm and many moving parts.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #96
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
And how do you like it so far? Have you had fins before, and able to make a comparison?
I have No previous experience with other types of stabilization. After 8 months of use, I would say it was a very good investment. Just had the annual service done, early, and it is ready to go for next season. I should only have to change a few zincs between then. Knock wood.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
OLD THREAD BUMP***

Kevin: Sorry for resurrecting this but what did you finally go with and are you still happy? The 4788 is on my shortlist for my next possible boat (I'm actually viewing one today!). I don't think any of the Yachtworld 4788's are stabilized.
I didn’t go with anything yet. Honestly i have gotten used to the rolling and probably won’t add active stabilizers at this stage in the game. I have learned to just stay in port when it’s nasty, and to use my engines and tack in a large beam sea.

The 4788 is a GREAT platform for a coastal cruising lifestyle. I’m now seven seasons with this boat, and am still happy!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I didn’t go with anything yet. Honestly i have gotten used to the rolling and probably won’t add active stabilizers at this stage in the game. I have learned to just stay in port when it’s nasty, and to use my engines and tack in a large beam sea.

The 4788 is a GREAT platform for a coastal cruising lifestyle. I’m now seven seasons with this boat, and am still happy!
Thanks for the reply. I got on my first 4788 today! It was great to finally be aboard one, after all of my YouTube viewing. I checked out the 4788 in Mass. on Yachtworld if anyone's curious ( I'm not gonna post the link, I'll let you guys do the investigative work.... ) I really liked it!

I would only be coastal cruising as well and staying put in an unruly sea state is fine with me. BUT if I bought a 4788 then the idea of some type of stabilization would definitely be on my "radar".

What a cool yacht.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Fletcher.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #100
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
I have No previous experience with other types of stabilization. After 8 months of use, I would say it was a very good investment. Just had the annual service done, early, and it is ready to go for next season. I should only have to change a few zincs between then. Knock wood.

What's involved in the annual service?

Tags
fins, gyro, naiad, paravane, stabilizer, stabilizers, stabilizing